Find
Notify
Tools

POST YOUR RIG!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Since this a new forum, I figure we should start things off by showing others what we shoot long range with.

I'm in slow internet now so I will follow up, but my signature should give you the picture.

I obviously shoot a 338 Lapua Improved, specs are:

Lawton 8500 action with 40 moa base
Jewell 1.5oz-1.5lb trigger
Broughton 32" 5c barrel, plus brake
Mcree stock system (I have since changed grip and added a cheek pad)

Comes in at about 22 lbs. Smithed by Nate Dagley

Shoots 300 grain SMKs just over 3000 fps with a medium load. Wish it would shoot the Bergers, but the speed is too much for them.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Description:
7mm STW
Model 70 Winchester,
30" Lawton rifle cut barrel,
HS Precision stock,
Leupold 6.5-20 30mm side focus mildot scope with M1 turrets.
Gunsmith: Dan Dowling

Load:
160gr Nosler Accubond (seconds)
98gr WC860
Rem Brass
Fed 215 primers
OAL 3.60

Muzzle velocity of 3475 fps.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every rifle I own is set up for long range shooting whether they be hunting or target rifles. My hunting rifles all have scopes with target knobs and extensive load work to confirm drop data. Rifles are capable of hitting targets at ranges that most casual shooters cannot fathom. I believe in letting them do what they are capable of.

6.5 Creedmoor built by Charley Robertson of Score High Gunsmithing.
Remington 700 short action aluminum pillar bedded, blueprinted. 26" Brux Stainless 1 in 8 twist barrel, Score High Tactical Brake, Badger bolt knob and bottom metal, AI magazines, McMillan A-5 rifle stock, Harris bipod/swivel/pod lock, Leupold Mark IV LR ERT 8-25 FF TMR mounted with tactical rings on a 20 MOA base.

Load: 139 Lapua Scenar, 42.6 grains H-4350, WLR

.300 Winchester Magnum Winchester Model 70 "Custom Sharpshooter" modified by Charley at Score High

Rechambered with a nice tight chamber, Tactical Brake, Pillar bedded, same scope set up as above.

Load: 208 grain A-Max, 74.2 grains RL-25, WLRM

.264 Winchester Magnum by Score High. Same components as the Creedmoor. McMillan Remington stock, Leupold VX3 6.5-20 VHR 50mm Objective, Target Knobs.

Hunting load: 130 grain Swift Scirocco, 80.5 grains WC-872, WLRM (3275fps with a BC of .571)

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Some of mine.

6.5x47 Lapua in a Surgeon 591 short action in an AICS 1.5 stock, 26" SS Krieger MTU contour, 1:8.5 twist, Shilen 2 lb trigger, TPS 30mm Alum rings holding a NF 5.5-22x50 with NP-R1 reticle all metal Cerakoted and put together by Chris Matthews of http://www.longshotriflesllc.com/. 17.75 lbs.

Still shooting very nicely after 1000 yds with 130 Berger VLD, 40.8 gr H4350, CCI 450's running 2850 fps. The .515" is misleading as it was over 100 yds and figured out to .49 MOA.

My other 6.5x47 Lapua is my light hunting rifle.

Pierce short action, Broughton SS 26" 1:8 twist 5C, in a McMillan Rem Sporter Edge filled stock, Rifle Basix 2 lb trigger, Pierce 1-pc alum pic base holding Farrell 30mm alum rings holding a NF 2.5-10 with NP-R2 reticle. 8 lbs 10 oz.

Settled on 140 Partitions running 2865 fps with 41.6-8 gr of Rel 17, Fed 205M.

My old friend, a former 30-06 re-barreled to 30-06AI pushing the 180 Nosler BT/AB to 3000 fps with a bunch of Rel 25. It's a highly modified/lightened Rem 700 LA, no-name fiberglass stock made by the 'smith that put the original rifle together for me in 1982. It now holds a 26" "Pencil" thin Lilja 1:11 twist SS barrel. Factory trigger, internals, etc. I've had various scopes on it to include a M8 4x, Mk4 4.5-14 with M1 dials and TMR reticle to a IOR that fell apart within 100 rounds. With the Mk4 it weighed 7.5 lbs so recoil was noticealbe.

The only decent pic I have of it.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan, nice Hole.
Those 180gr BT's are elk slayers.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
AS,

Acually, that hole is from the AB. I shoot them both, same load, same POI, but within 250 yds I used the AB so I don't get a blowup. He was 225 yds away.

If I were to do it again, I'd shoot him, at 225 yds, with the BT as the bullet killed him but he ran a large circle, layed down, and I'd say it took 5 minutes for him to finally lay his head down.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
300 Win mag, NSX 3.5X15X50 29 7/8" barrel including the brake

338 Lapua 5X25X56 S&B PMll

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this the bigg! bolt knob forum?
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Is this the bigg! bolt knob forum?
Butch

Sure is!

My build is hopefully cheap and accurate.

Stevens 200 center feed action
Sharp Shooter Supply Competition Trigger
Kevin Rahill tactical bolt handle and stainless steel recoil lug
Savage take off M12 synthetic stock (hope to upgrade to a B&C Medalist soon)
McGowen Savage pre-fit barrel 26" Varmint contour 1:7 twist .243 Win (currently at the GS because it didn't fit my action Eeker)
EGW 20 MOA base
Leupold QRW medium rings
Weaver 3-10X40 Tactical Grand Slam mildot scope (made for Midway)
Harris 6-9" adjustable bi-pod

This is my first step into building a dedicated long range shooting rifle. I just got married this last year so I'm trying to do it on a budget that will not have the wife cranky. Plus the Tax Man took alot of money from us last month.

Posts: 2242 | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
currently at the GS because it didn't fit my action

Good call. Let the professional handle it.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Montana Rifle Co action, Keieger barrel, Accurate Innovations stock in 6.5x284
Savage in 22.250, PacNor Supermatch barrel
Savage in 243, SSS stock

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
My long range hunting rig. A Ruger M77 MKII. It has a 27.5" fluted #4 contour stainless Krieger barrel. It sits in a McMillan stock and has a Timney trigger. For the optics it sports a 3-12X 50 S&B Zenith.

The rifle shoots tiny groups.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
My long range hunting rig. A Ruger M77 MKII. It has a 27.5" fluted #4 contour stainless Krieger barrel. It sits in a McMillan stock and has a Timney trigger. For the optics it sports a 3-12X 50 S&B Zenith.

The rifle shoots tiny groups.

Terry

Caliber, load?

Alan

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
.264 Winchester Magnum.
My main load is 68gr of Ramshot Magnum powder under a Hornady 129gr SST bullet.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
Are you going over to the dark side?
Call me when you get a chance.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post