THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    What scope for a light weight mountain rifle?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What scope for a light weight mountain rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted
I think I'll buy a used Kimber Montana 8400 and get it rechambered for 7 mm Rem Mag.
If I do so I need to get a proper scope for it.

I plan on using this for "long range" hunting. Like sheep, goats and ibex. Up to 4-500 m I guess.

What scope would you choose?
I want it to be light, but with at least 10x magnification. Ballistic reticle and/or turrets. Illuminated reticle not important. Will probably not be used on low light conditions.

I've kind of narrowed it down to two three options.

- Nightforce 2,5-10x32 (or 2,5-10x24)
- Leupold VX3 3,5-10x40 CDS
- Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 BT

Leupold is the lightest by far.

Any other recommodations to look into?

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
The swaro Z3 3-10x42 is lighter still according to this: http://www.swarovskioptik.us/e...pe_z3/technical-data and with a ballistic reticule, the BRX, though not with turrets. The Z3 4-12x50, which is still 50grams lighter than the Leupold, is available with a ballistic turret for quick elevation dialling.

I have no experience of the Leupold but this is the lightest scope in that class in any event.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Amir!
Wow, I really fell in love with the Z3 4-12x50 with turrets. After seeing the video on the website, it seems very easy to use it.

According to the specs it's a might heavier, but not much Smiler

Do you know if the reticle on the Z3 stays the same size regardless of magnification? I would prefer that on such a scope. So that the crosshairs are thin even on higher magnification.

Anders

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Your right that Leupold is the lightest,which is your ??

Leupold is the only scope I would absolutely trust to stay weatherproof!!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold 2.5 x 8 w/ the B & C reticle.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was to go for a lightweight rifle I would use a March http://www.kelbly.com/scopes.html

I like and use Nightforce the weight dosnt bother me.
A mate has a 2.5-25 MARCH and I was very impressed.

RUNAS

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both the NF that you mention and the VX3.

The NF is not on a rifle yet.

THe VX3 really disappointed with regard to clarity. In fact a representative is looking into it for me after I showed it to him on the weekend.

The NF is far heavier as you say, but way better glass. You could also try an IOR, but also not a lightweight alternative.

A friend has Z3's and loves them and yes, fairly light.

How about fixed power scopes if there are some in a weight range that would work for you?

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Too bad the VX3 was a dissapointment. I had more or less put this on on the upper half of the list Smiler Maybe the Z3 is the one to go for.

I've never been a fan of fixed scopes, even though they normally are very light weight. Would like the possibility of both 3x and 10 or 12 x on the same scope.

Thanks for the input!

Anders

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use various Leupolds and Swarovski scopes and have been very pleased with the clarity, weather proofness and functionality of them all.

I'm warming up to the turret idea but I'd avoid it on a sheep rifle. I just don't like anything "extra" on top of the scope while on a horse, backpack or a climb for sheep.

The VX3 3.5x10 B&C would be my first choice for all of your reasons. I've used one very effectively to quite extended ranges.
Zeke

Posts: 2270 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said, my VX3 is being "looked into" (instead of looked through Roll Eyes) so I'd not take it as the norm, but do compare the specific scope you intend to buy if you can. I also liked the weight and the repeatability has been good.

I'm hoping mine will be repaired or replaced. Not trying to knock Leupold, just to be clear, simply repeating my personal experience.

I'd consider the brand again if this is resolved to my satisfaction.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
I use various Leupolds and Swarovski scopes and have been very pleased with the clarity, weather proofness and functionality of them all.

I'm warming up to the turret idea but I'd avoid it on a sheep rifle. I just don't like anything "extra" on top of the scope while on a horse, backpack or a climb for sheep.

I totally agree with this opinion. When you pull a scoped rifle out of a saddle scabbard with target turrets, everything can get tweeked. You may or may not have time to readjust your turrets. I use a leu. lps with mil dot reticle. You can judge the distance to target with the mils., and adjust for drop and windage by using the mils. also. Out to 400-500 yds. with the 7 mag. should be very doable without ever messing with the turrets. It doe's take some practice though. If you go this route, look for a scope with the mils or moa. in the first focal plain so everything stays the same no matter what power you have it on.

The VX3 3.5x10 B&C would be my first choice for all of your reasons. I've used one very effectively to quite extended ranges.
Zeke

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
what caliber is it in?

whatever the lightest is, but i would seriously consider the leupod m8 6x 42 with a range finder

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Might look at one of the new Leica scopes. I bought one last fall for a build and have been very impressed with it.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You said light weight? I second the 6x42 Leupold. I have one on my .270 M70 fwt and have not found any reason to change it.
C.G.B.

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
what caliber is it in?

whatever the lightest is, but i would seriously consider the leupod m8 6x 42 with a range finder

I thought of rechambering the rifle for 7 mm Rem Mag. So heavy recoil is not a problem. Durability is still very, very important. Will use it for mountains, all kinds of weather Smiler

Anders