THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    What scope for a light weight mountain rifle?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What scope for a light weight mountain rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'm real happy with the Leupold 3-9 compact I have on my light mountain rifle. Very lightweight absolutely fool proof and stable always. The only downside I could find is the field of view seems smaller than a standard size 3-9x40 vxII, not a deal breaker though.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Nanook 450
posted Hide Post
I've bought numerous VXL Leupolds and the B&C reticle is super.

Posts: 247 | Location: Norman, OK & Marble Falls, TX | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leopold 6X compact on my Rem lite weight 25-06 rifle. Works just fine. Never felt the need for a variable or target turrets.

I also have a VX3 6.5-20X50 LRT with their BAS reticle on another rifle. Works just fine.

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bisonman
posted Hide Post
Anders, since the scopes are not going to vary too much in weight for the power range you are seeking, think about the 8400 short action and either find one in 300 WSM or rebarrel to that caliber with a barrel length of 20-22". With the short action and shorter barrel, you will shave the weight and the 300WSM will smoke the 7mm REM Mag every which way.
You can't go wrong. Regards, Jon

Posts: 15 | Location: Montana | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Schmidt & Bender PMII 10x42.

Use it with Talley one piece rings!

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent in and just got back a Zeiss 3-9 Conquest from Zeiss. I had them put in their #4 reticle and their target turrets. This is a great combo and I can highly recommend it.

John

Lord, please grant me the strength to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Posts: 101 | Location: The Big Country | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
No question the NF. If you are going to be twisting turrets to make elevation corrections you need the accuracy and repeatability of their turrets.
I am using this same scope on a light weight mountain rifle, and it has worked great. Using this scope I have been able to make numerous shots on rock chucks at 5-600 yards over the past summer, and the reticle always comes back to zero.
I also have the NP-R2 reticle and a LRF that gives ballistic solutions in MOA.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post