Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold CDS Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
AZ, You just said you trusted mirage over an anemometer. Then you said mirage could cost you an MOA.
stir

Then again I use 1/8" clicks too.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
AZ, You just said you trusted mirage over an anemometer. Then you said mirage could cost you an MOA.
stir

Then again I use 1/8" clicks too.

God Bless, Louis

Do you know why mirage can cost you an MOA when it is boiling??

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
AZ What you are saying is very true however, go to almost any long range shooting school and they will teach you to dial in. You are right that most people don't have access to a 1000 yard range. I think I am very blessed to have a brother in law that farms or I would be stuck at 100 to 300 yards at my hunt club. My rule of thumb is to shoot 3/4 what you shoot during target pratice. I'm still trying to learn and develope my shooting skills. I've been shooting for over 45 years and still some of the stuff you say is over my head. Alot of what I quote is from trial and error. It may not be the right way it's just the way I've worked out on my own.

Because there is an up draft? The same reason shooting over water that is warmer than the air that covers it or asphalt at night after a hot summer day.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Yeah, There's probably alot of difference in the conditions from Arizona to the mountains of NC. An MOA sounds like alot of updraft to me though.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mirage can physically displace the target image. When mirage is boiling, it means no wind. However, you will almost always hit high. Sure you can compensate for it, but you can never be certain...

Just another reason to take those 1200 yard shots with a grain of salt.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
AZ you are right about the optical illusion However, are you saying that there is no up draft when the wind is calm and the tempture allow for it. I never went to sniper school but I had a few work for me and I loved everyday on the range demo or shooting. You would be surprized how much you can learn from listening and watching. I did spend a few weeks in diffrent schools learning to shoot the navy way.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Young IM me we may have grown up in the same neck of the woods. All my family live in NC and VA around the Blueridge Parkway.

AZ now it is me that must apoligize. I went back and read your previous post. You are correct milrads and dialing by 10th would be much easyer. I read it as holding and vectoring by milsdots. That is whatn I get for speed reading.

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Never tried it but it would be cool to set your rifle in the rest with the crosshairs on target at say 1000yds in the morning when its cool and check it out as the temps rise and see exactly how the mirage effects the appearance of the target.

Would be a good task if someone had a good camera to take pictures at different times.

Just a thought.

God Bless, Louis

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
Never tried it but it would be cool to set your rifle in the rest with the crosshairs on target at say 1000yds in the morning when its cool and check it out as the temps rise and see exactly how the mirage effects the appearance of the target.

Would be a good task if someone had a good camera to take pictures at different times.

Just a thought.

God Bless, Louis

Young:

I did this once but a bit differently. I put a scope in a vice inside my house (where it would stay cool) and then zeroed it on a spec on top of a dark roof. Later that day you could see the dot was higher than the crosshair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.625 BC will alleviate some of your windage worries....

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't buy this scope in the 4x14 without adding the ao or side focus. The one I shot for a friend recently was just a blur at 100 yards. 3.5x10 is a none issue but the jump to 14 power needs some focusing. shayne

Posts: 127 | Location: yuma, AZ | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone plesae tell if the turret cover will cover the CDS so your adjustments will not move when carrying rifle??

Posts: 108 | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no turret cap, and the dial can turn accidently. Too easily, truth to be told.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
There is no turret cap, and the dial can turn accidently. Too easily, truth to be told.

I've got 3 of them and have never had it happen.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got 3 as well. I managed to move the dial on my 3.5-10 once a day while I was playing around culling in Australia. Not a huge deal with the zero-stop once I knew it had to be checked before shooting, but if they brought out a locking version I'd buy the first one.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post