Notify
Tools

Best value range finder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD:
Quite a few years ago had use of relatively flat property which provided ranges out to some 1500yds(that is a lot in West Virginia!)where some of us match shooters would practice for 1000yd matches. Tried a range finder back then and problem we had was it had to be held/supported very securely or it gave false readings or none at all. It was said that range finders of that era only gave a 90% accurate reading due to some sort of regualations? Are the current offerings more user friendly and more accurate than those of past generations??

MFD:

The old Leica Geovid will range better than just about anything out there, so it wasn't any regulation that caused early LRs to be inaccurate.

I know of no LR that doesn't use a GaAs laser; these are diode lasers that have a natural large beam divergence. Used over flat ground, you get a lot of scatter. Leica somehow got that laser to be very tightly focused; I think the divergence was .3x1.5 milliradians compared to a normal 2x4 MR divergence. That means at 1000 yards the laser covers an oval 2 meters by 4 meters (the old Leica was .3 meters high and 1.5 meters wide at 1000 yards).

Instead of trying to focus the laser, which is expensive, companies like Bushnell opted to start measuring first return signals, etc. That is why today you get better performance with less expensive ones than 15 years ago. But still, if you use one over very flat ground you get a lot of ground scatter, making it hard to measure the range. One technique you can try is tilt the rangefinder 90 degrees so the narrow part of the beam is in the vertical plane; I know Bushnell mounted their lasers so the fat part of the beam was in the vertical plane. I asked them to switch, but that didn't happen...maybe it has now.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, yesterday I knocked the Bushnell LR bino off the shelf in my loading room; fell about 7 feet on to the tile (stone) floor. Thought that might have caused a problem, but it works just fine.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
My cheap NewCon out ranges my expensive Leica (at long distance) every time, its easier to acquire target faster to read, a bit larger and heavier---and did I mention--cheaper.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have a link to the NewCon? Thanks.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
http://www.newcon-optik.com/

NEWCON LRM 1500 - Rangefinder ( laser ) 7 x 25

$215 online (Google Products Search)
Fully multicoated lens
This advanced Laser Range Finder system provides instant distance measurements consistently and accurately. The outstanding optics allow a sharp, clear image under all conditions. LRM 1500 utilizes a revolutionary digital design, which outperforms any other product in its class and price range.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I was wondering which one you had. I need a backup/replacement for my Leica CRF 1200, and was wondering which way to go. I think you have solved my problem.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two leica's, first was the 1200, non-scan model, and 2nd is the new 1600. If the 1600 holds up I don't ever see buying another rangfinder. I've lased as far as 1825 yards with it in the early morning in the CO mountains and other than snowsqualls or fog it has ranged reliably. Very handy unit that offers angles along with range as well as a few other extras I don't use.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I brought a bussnell 1600 bino/range finder combo used it about 6 months now I really like.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Any comments on the Nikon Monarch 1200?

Most things optical I've found Nikon to be of great quality, getting close to the highpriced optics, yet at a fraction of the price. E.g., the 1200 mentioned above is about $400.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

Posts: 4253 | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Leica.

I had an older Bushnell, not bad for the price.

I have one of the new Leupold high end RX models. Definitely BAD for the price. Would have been better to stick with my old bulky Bushnell.

Next investment I make is in the Geovid binos. All the PH's I hunt with in Africa use them in all of their concessions: Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique, Botswana, Zimbabwe, and RSA. Pretty much can't go wrong.

Don't know I would haul them on an extreme mountain hunt though.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next investment I make is in the Geovid binos. All the PH's I hunt with in Africa use them in all of their concessions: Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique, Botswana, Zimbabwe, and RSA. Pretty much can't go wrong.

Pretty much can't go wrong except $2400.
The Nikon 1200 RF is $400. The binos are $300. I have the binos, so do I get the RF?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

Posts: 4253 | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leica CRF1600 used here, no complaints of any kind. Clarity, accuracy, size, features...god to go

Posts: 20 | Registered: 18 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have a Leica CRF Rangemaster 1200. I have sent it back 3 times and it was replaced each time with a brand new one.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Just obtained the new Leica 1600-B. I had the Swaro but sold it after a SxS, 3 month, comparison with the Leica 1600. Now, I'll be selling the 1600. It's a great LRF that has an internal ballistic calculator good to 550 yds. The new "B" model is good to 875 yds. Even if you don't use the internal ballistic calc, you can still pull temp, baro pressure and angle off either 1600/B. The only thing missing would be an internal wind meter. Big Grin

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post