New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Distance Scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This hopefully covers the Scope spectrum. If I miss something, just toss it in the discussion.

All questions refer to Long Distance use, beyond 500yds.

Question:
Do you use Adjustable Objectives or Fixed?

Choices:
1. Fixed.
2. Adjustable.
3. Both.

Question:
How do you Adjust for Distance?

Choices:
4. Standard Duplex and just hold as needed.
5. Special Range Compensation Reticle(Mil-Dots, etc.).
6. Crank-In Adjustments.
7. A Combination of some of the above.
8. Other.

Question:
What is the Highest Power you use?

Choices:
9. 4x (HAHAHAHA)
10. 10x or less.
11. 15x or less.
12. 20x or less.
13. 25x or less.
14. 30x or less.
15. Above 30x.

Question:
What size Tube?

Choices:
16. 1".
17. 30mm.
18. Some of both.
19. Other

Question:
What do you use for additional Elevation?

Choices:
20. A Tapered Rail Base.
21. Burris Signatures with Eccentric Inserts(or something similar).
22. Both 20 & 21.
23. Other.

Question:
What size Objective do you use?

Choices:
24. 44mm or below.
25. 50mm.
26. Above 50mm.
27. Some of each size.
28. Other.

Question:
What do you "PRIMARILY" use to help with the Wind?

Choices:
29. Wind Flags.
30. Wind Meter.
31. Weed movement.
32. Mirage.
33. Lots and LOTS of practice.
34. A combination of some of the above.
35. Other

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO and E,

A front focal plane reticle set up in MOA or mRad (that is accurate) in a variable power scope with at least a 30mm tube say 6.5X20 at minimum, with target knobs (that actually move the reticle the stated value) with 80 MOA of travel, side focus, 20 MOA picatinny rail, is what is needed to get the job done.

Many manufacturers can fit the bill.

Leupold Mark IV LR-ERT FF TMR
Nightforce
US Optics
Premier
March
S&B

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
What are yo calling a front focal plane, do you mean first focal plane or secound focal plane?

I like a 3.5X15/4X16 best as a hunting scope. For extreme distance and on a specialized rifle I use a 5X25X56 PMll by S&B. I also have and use Nightforce NSX and S&B

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
first

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
You're out of the times Hot Core, it's all about side focus now Smiler

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hotcore, Tyler is correct.
On a side focus, the focus is linked to the parallax adjustment. When you focus, it automatically adjusts for the parallax.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HC:
...31. Weed movement.

Are you talking about what the Cartels are up to on the border in Arizona?

Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Front=First or First=Front
First Focal Plane=Front Focal Plane and vice versa. Been that way for 100 year's perhaps.

Posts: 1935 | Registered: 30 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Tyler and Antelope, Big Grin Surely you all really don't think I was WRONG, or are you two just Testing me? Big Grin

"Focus" is still a function of the Rear Eyepiece on all of the Scopes I've ever had. And it simply allows you to see the Reticle clearly for your specific eyes.

But..., they have some scopes with Side Adjustable Parallax(I do have one) instead of at the Front and that indeed would have been a better choice of words - Adjustable Parallax.

The ones with Side Parallax Adjustmant have Smaller Objective Diameters than the Scopes with Adjustable Objectives for the same size Lens, which you all probably know. That occasionally works a bit better when you need just a bit more Barrel clearance. tu2

Yes? No? Big Grin
-----

Glad you all pointed it out. Don't want to get R or Woods confused. patriot

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll buy that Hot Core.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core. Up until this point I was really pround of the way you were conducting yourself in this forum. I thought you were here to learn the tool and techniques that would open up a whole new world of shooting to you. If you want to throw barbs and insults, go back to the medium bore and american hunting forums. If you want to learn, then join us here.

Let me educate you on the proper usage of a side adjusting scope.

Step one. Set your rifle in a rest, and put your crosshairs on the target, usually at 100 yards.
Step Two. Using the side knob, adjust the scope until there is no parallax present.
Step three. Adjust the eyepiece at the rear of the scope until the image is clear.
Step four. Place crosshairs on a more distant target, adjust focus, move your head around to confirm there is no parallax. If parallax is prsent, repeat steps one through three.
This process matches the scopes focus and parallax adjustment to your eyes. Now when you shift to your 500 yard target and adjust the side focus, you are also adjusting the parallax at the same time.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AS,
It appears to me that you are not disagreeing with HC.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I believe I am disagreeing with him.
Hotcore states that focus is a function of the rear eyepiece. One a side focus, you have two adjustment points for the focus. The rear eyepiece, and the side knob that adjusts the focus and parallax in unison. More over, the snarkyness of his comments tell me he doesn't understand the true value of the side adjustment to the long distance shooter.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I was taught to focus the reticle against the sky (infinity) or

by the use of a translucent object (single ply kleenex with light behind it.

THEN focus the parallax on the target--side focus or front focus--

Has this procedure changed with the "newer" optics ??

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duggy, the new scopes have two points of adjustment for the focus, the side focus, and rear eyepiece, but only one point of adjustment for the parallax. That's why it's important to insure you are parallax free, before performing our final focus adjustments with the rear eyepiece.

As an initial step some shooters will set the side parallax/focus adjustment to infinity, aim at the sky, and adjust focus with the rear eyepiece. On a clear cool day, some guys can get them almost perfect this way. (With glasses/contacts, I can't.) They will then follow up with the proceedure I mentioned to confirm their focus and parallax are matched at a variety of ranges.

The kleenex trick is a new to me. I'd be interested to hear how you do it.