Notify
Tools

Long Distance Scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
...If you want to throw barbs and insults,...
You lost me on that. What part of, "Glad you all pointed it out.", is insulting to you?

However, if you desire that I toss some insults your way, I'll try my best to respond - though that is 100% totally out-of-character for me. Big Grin
-----

By the way, my Polls were not for my education, though I did get a bunch of Big Grin from your thinking that was why I posted them. tu2 I was probably shooting l-o-n-g distance before you(perhaps even your Father) were(was) born. Nothing I've posted on the Long Distance Board has been intended as an insult to anyone.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
I was taught to focus the reticle against the sky (infinity) or ...THEN focus the parallax on the target--side focus or front focus--

Has this procedure changed with the "newer" optics ??
No, this is still the correct way to do it. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duggy, the new scopes have two points of adjustment for the focus, the side focus, and rear eyepiece, but only one point of adjustment for the parallax. That's why it's important to insure you are parallax free, before performing our final focus adjustments with the rear eyepiece.

As an initial step some shooters will set the side parallax/focus adjustment to infinity, aim at the sky, and adjust focus with the rear eyepiece. On a clear cool day, some guys can get them almost perfect this way. (With glasses/contacts, I can't.) They will then follow up with the proceedure I mentioned to confirm their focus and parallax are matched at a variety of ranges.

The kleenex trick is a new to me. I'd be interested to hear how you do it.

I am not sure what you are talking about. My NXS has a side focus/parallax adjustment and an adjustment for the reticle on the ocular end. Very simple. Adjust the reticle as DuggaBoye said and then use the side focus for the target.

Posts: 503 | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
first

I wasn't aware that Leupy produced a first focal plane scope

Does the reticle change size as the power is adjusted?

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 338zmag:
quote:
Duggy, the new scopes have two points of adjustment for the focus, the side focus, and rear eyepiece, but only one point of adjustment for the parallax. That's why it's important to insure you are parallax free, before performing our final focus adjustments with the rear eyepiece.

As an initial step some shooters will set the side parallax/focus adjustment to infinity, aim at the sky, and adjust focus with the rear eyepiece. On a clear cool day, some guys can get them almost perfect this way. (With glasses/contacts, I can't.) They will then follow up with the proceedure I mentioned to confirm their focus and parallax are matched at a variety of ranges.

I am not sure what you are talking about. My NXS has a side focus/parallax adjustment and an adjustment for the reticle on the ocular end. Very simple. Adjust the reticle as DuggaBoye said and then use the side focus for the target.

The adjustment on the side of the scope is a "parallax" adjustmen which is often inproperly called a "side focus". The parallax adjustment is distance dependent. The adjustment on the ocular is to adjust the focus and that produces a sharp reticle.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jwp,

The Leupold Mark IV ERT is what I use and have on 3 rifles. It is front focal.

As far as eyepiece focus and side "focus" or parallax adjustment, this is what I've always done and is right out of the Leupold Owners Manual...

quote:
FOCUSING THE RETICLE
Secure the scope and firearm in a firm rest. Safely point the scope
at a light colored background object. With the scope approximately
four inches from your eye the reticle should appear sharp and crisp;
if it does not, it is necessary to adjust the focus by means of the
eyepiece. If your Leupold scope is one of our models with an eyepiece that has
a lock ring, follow these simple steps:
1. Grasp the eyepiece with your hand and back it away from the
lock ring. Once the lock ring is free from the eyepiece, turn it
clockwise away from the eyepiece to keep it out of the way
during the adjustment.
2. If you tend to hold things away from yourself to see them
clearly (you are farsighted) turn the eyepiece counterclockwise
a couple of turns. If you hold things close to yourself to see
them clearly (you are nearsighted) turn the eyepiece clockwise
a couple of turns.
3. Looking through the scope when pointed at the light colored
background object, take a few quick glances at the reticle. The
focus of the reticle should be noticeably different from when
you started. Continue this process until the reticle appears clear
and sharp.
4. When you are satisfied with the image of the reticle, turn the
lock ring so that it rests firmly against the eyepiece.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
...If you want to throw barbs and insults,...
You lost me on that. What part of, "Glad you all pointed it out.", is insulting to you?

However, if you desire that I toss some insults your way, I'll try my best to respond - though that is 100% totally out-of-character for me. Big Grin
-----

By the way, my Polls were not for my education, though I did get a bunch of Big Grin from your thinking that was why I posted them. tu2 I was probably shooting l-o-n-g distance before you(perhaps even your Father) were(was) born.
quote:
Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

I think HC has exhibited exemplary behavior AS. You just maybe misunderstood.

The only reason he has started many thread polls on this new forum has been to do what he says...start discussion to get input from everyone interested that will serve to educate all readers. All readers and contributors now, and as far into the future as AR will exist. Kind of an "Information Sink" for eternity

He has plenty of know how already; these threads are just to spark dialogue

Everything we write here will be here forever, hopefully, and can be accessed by whomever is in need of the info.

quote:
Nothing I've posted on the Long Distance Board has been intended as an insult to anyone.

quote:
Glad you all pointed it out. Don't want to get R or Woods confused.

Hey! We're not the ones who have to check our drivers lisences every morning just to remember our names! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
...[QUOTE]Glad you all pointed it out. Don't want to get R or Woods confused.

Hey! We're not the ones who have to check our drivers lisences every morning just to remember our names! Big Grin
rotflmo animal rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
Originally posted by 338zmag:
quote:

The adjustment on the side of the scope is a "parallax" adjustmen which is often inproperly called a "side focus". The parallax adjustment is distance dependent. The adjustment on the ocular is to adjust the focus and that produces a sharp reticle.

OK, that's what I said. The first time you explained it you lost me. I thought I was missing something. I see we are on the same page.

Posts: 503 | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
jwp,

The Leupold Mark IV ERT is what I use and have on 3 rifles. It is front focal.

As far as eyepiece focus and side "focus" or parallax adjustment, this is what I've always done and is right out of the Leupold Owners Manual...

quote:
FOCUSING THE RETICLE
Secure the scope and firearm in a firm rest. Safely point the scope
at a light colored background object. With the scope approximately
four inches from your eye the reticle should appear sharp and crisp;
if it does not, it is necessary to adjust the focus by means of the
eyepiece. If your Leupold scope is one of our models with an eyepiece that has
a lock ring, follow these simple steps:
1. Grasp the eyepiece with your hand and back it away from the
lock ring. Once the lock ring is free from the eyepiece, turn it
clockwise away from the eyepiece to keep it out of the way
during the adjustment.
2. If you tend to hold things away from yourself to see them
clearly (you are farsighted) turn the eyepiece counterclockwise
a couple of turns. If you hold things close to yourself to see
them clearly (you are nearsighted) turn the eyepiece clockwise
a couple of turns.
3. Looking through the scope when pointed at the light colored
background object, take a few quick glances at the reticle. The
focus of the reticle should be noticeably different from when
you started. Continue this process until the reticle appears clear
and sharp.
4. When you are satisfied with the image of the reticle, turn the
lock ring so that it rests firmly against the eyepiece.

I believe those are second focal plane scope, the reticle stays the same size as the power is adjusted. There was no mention on the web site of them being first focal plane, unless I missed it.

My Noghtforce scopes are all second focal plane. My S&B's are first focal plane scopes and the reticle get larger as the power is turned up

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
I was taught to focus the reticle against the sky (infinity) HERE or

by the use of a translucent object (single ply kleenex with light behind it.

THEN focus the parallax on the target--side focus or front focus--

Has this procedure changed with the "newer" optics ??

I should have added --with parallax set to infinity. ( above)

Some (older)variable scopes also used to specify a specific magnification setting while performing the above setup procedure.

(Which I assume was designed to minimize the effect of parallax on reticle focus.)

Basically a translucent obstruction (ie a single layer of kleenex with sufficient light behind it)( i have also used wax paper in some cases) allows for setup at night inside-- simulating the sky -- for the purpose of reticle focus.

This allowed me to mount a scope and largely be through with most setup for the following day.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You believe wrong
quote:
MARK 4 ER/T RIFLESCOPES
Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm ER/T M1 Front Focal

Got to Leupold.com. Tactical. Mark IV ER/T.

http://leupold.com/tactical/pr...-ert-m1-front-focal/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muggies, i originally followed those instructions with my Leupold side focus, but still had some of parallax at 100 yards. After fine tuning it the way I described, it is now perfect. I don't blame the scope, my eyes are just a little screwey.

In reality we are doing the same thing. Setting the side parallax adjustment first, you to infinity, where I'm setting it on a target, and then adjusting the rear eyepiece to match.

In any event, after they are adjusted, it's a good idea to verify they are parallax free on paper.

quote:
I think HC has exhibited exemplary behavior AS. You just maybe misunderstood.
Muggie, I think you are right. I guess I'm just not used to the new kinder, gentler HotCore yet. I keep expecting the guy that hates everything newer then the Folsum Point. But regardless of the fact that Hotcore been throwing spears, arrows, and bullets for over 12,000 years, if there's a forum where you can learn from some really good shooters, there is alot to be learned from the long distance crowd.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
You believe wrong
quote:
MARK 4 ER/T RIFLESCOPES
Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm ER/T M1 Front Focal

Got to Leupold.com. Tactical. Mark IV ER/T.

http://leupold.com/tactical/pr...-ert-m1-front-focal/

This link does say first focal plane

Not the first time that I have been wrong, no cherry here
tu2

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...But regardless of the fact that Hotcore been throwing spears, arrows, and bullets for over 12,000 years,...

You left out old
animal