THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Is it possible to dial up a Swaro Z3 or Zeiss Conquest

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it possible to dial up a Swaro Z3 or Zeiss Conquest
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
Looking to put my rifle on a diet and possibly remove my NF 2.5-10x32 with NP-R2 reticle and go a few oz lighter.

I've looked hard at a VX3 3.5-10x40 CDS as an alternative at 12.6 oz.

The other two is the Swarovski Z3, 3-10x42 with BRX reticle (12.7 oz) or the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 MC with Rapid-Z Ball reticle (15.9 oz).

I've not been able to lay hands on either the Swaro or the Zeiss to look under the elev cap to see if it's possible to "dial" up to a LR distance.

I'm hoping for your impressions on these scopes for LR hunting.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have no experience with the scopes you mention other than Leupold, but if you are referring to actually using the elevation drum to dial in for various ranges, would not think that a problem providing one could either feel or hear and count the clicks as you increase elevation.
As I am sure you know, you would need to know the "come ups" for whatever caliber you are using. If one complete revolution of the elev. drum equals say, 15moa, use that as a reference and speeds things up quite a bit, two R's= 30moa, plus some clicks as an example.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
The zeiss has hunting type elevation turrets and will be a pain in arse to keep track of for that reason.

The Z reticule is meant to alleviate the need for dialling, not sure what I think of that....

The Swaro you mention also has hunting type turrets and a similar idea behind the design of the reticule.

The adjustment range of the swaro is a bit rubbish, at 58 minutes total on the elevation compared to 65 for the zeiss and 100 for your NF.

Have a look at these scope for what you want: Z5 ballistic turret as the optics are excellent and the ballistic turret really works. These also have a small adjustment range however and the windage turret is hunting style.

If I were you I would be talking to the importers and seeing if they can retrofit target turrets to a small light scope from their line, other wise you have to bite the bullet and fit a full-on target scope.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ghubert:

I received a LR scope the other day to review for a shooting mag for which I write. I declined and sent it back because it didn't have rotation counters on the W/E turrets. Why have huge knobs sticking out if they don't have rotation counters???? Might as well have hunting type adjustments that are finger adjustable.

You can dial any turret but not having a rotation counter gets to be a bit dicey.

The other thing I would note is the Nightforce scope W/E knobs never seem to have problems with the set screws coming loose. Other brands suffer from this.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Ghubert:

I received a LR scope the other day to review for a shooting mag for which I write. I declined and sent it back because it didn't have rotation counters on the W/E turrets. Why have huge knobs sticking out if they don't have rotation counters???? Might as well have hunting type adjustments that are finger adjustable.

You can dial any turret but not having a rotation counter gets to be a bit dicey.

The other thing I would note is the Nightforce scope W/E knobs never seem to have problems with the set screws coming loose. Other brands suffer from this.

Good Show AZ, target turrets without some means of keeping rack how much you've dialed in are worse than useless as you say.

The NF scopes have a bi of a cult following in the UK among precision shooters for the sort of thing you describe; their clicks are repeatable, they have a huge adjustment range so you don't always need an incline rail, good reticules and as tough as old boots.

The only problem with them is that their glass isn't the best at low light and they're very heavy.

Though expensive the best precision scopes IMO are made by S&B or Hendsolt. the precise model depends on the precise application but if you can lay your hands on one of these: 5-25x56 or 3-12x56 military.

The 10x42 is a good, practical scope for practical rifle competition and not so bulky.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Ghubert:

Good Show AZ, target turrets without some means of keeping rack how much you've dialed in are worse than useless as you say.

The NF scopes have a bi of a cult following in the UK among precision shooters for the sort of thing you describe; their clicks are repeatable, they have a huge adjustment range so you don't always need an incline rail, good reticules and as tough as old boots.

The only problem with them is that their glass isn't the best at low light and they're very heavy.

Though expensive the best precision scopes IMO are made by S&B or Hendsolt. the precise model depends on the precise application but if you can lay your hands on one of these: 5-25x56 or 3-12x56 military.

The 10x42 is a good, practical scope for practical rifle competition and not so bulky.

The other thing I LOVE about NF scopes is their resolution: I can see mirage in my 5.5-22X that I can't see in my 6.5-20X Leupolds. In AZ the air is quite dry, and while you can see mirage in the middle of the day, it isn't as obvious as you might think.

I am playing with a March right now; have it on a .308. That cartridge drifts too much past 650 in the wind, but it sure drills em up to that range...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post