THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Check This Guy's Long Range Shooting With The 308
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check This Guy's Long Range Shooting With The 308
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 2459 | Registered: 02 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's some good shooting.
And some REALLY GOOD factory ammo!

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an ad to me.

Cantaloupe are not 1/4 MOA at a 1000 yards. I've never seen a melon that small (2 1/2")

If the total story were true, we'll be hearing that Ben will win everything he enters with factory ammo and will set records at all the shoots.
animal
I therefore respectfully call bsflag

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
Sounds like an ad to me.

Cantaloupe are not 1/4 MOA at a 1000 yards. I've never seen a melon that small (2 1/2")

If the total story were true, we'll be hearing that Ben will win everything he enters with factory ammo and will set records at all the shoots.
animal
I therefore respectfully call bsflag

Funny how these wonderful shots (this guy can hit a milk jug at 1000 yards offhand??) never enter a competition.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't read the whole article, but it seems the shooting was done at the Manatee Gun & Archery Club in Myakka City FL. I have shot there many times in the past and knew the manager (Gene) well. He is a competition shooter.

I have not been there for several years and am leaving Florida in several days, so I don't know if I will make it over there, but if I do I will ask Gene about it (if he is still there).

Posts: 503 | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just suggest there is a little "embellishment" to sell products. You'll notice the article is clearly aimed at the novice by the way it defines remedial subjects that anyone with experience already knows.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
How come you also never see:
Psysic won million $ lottery

Maybe the treshold from claim to proof is mighty steep?

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do all my shooting from a lead sled too...

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Macs B,
The reference to competetion/matches is simply that under match conditions, pressure, other skilled shooters, etc.,
the ability of the individual shooter is compared to others in the sport. NRA's Long Range Classification system requires that the shooter perform at a certain level of score in order to move up to higher classifications. Ranging from Marksman Unclassified, Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, and lastly High Master.
It has been a long time for me, but believe the number of rounds before being judged to move to higher class is 120 rounds. In short, the shooter has displayed an ability to shoot better scores over an extended period of time, not just one or two days firing a few rounds and having a "good day." Only in recent years has the now popular approach of supported fire, "F" class been recognized as a version of long range shooting. Most still shoot prone, sling, mat and with micrometer/peep sights at 600 to 1000yds and do attain High Master ratings buy doing so. Believe that requires a score of 97.5% or more over a period of some 2 or more matches or 120 rounds. Possible score of 200 and a score of 195 would get you a High Master score of 97.5%, but requries more than one match.
Not sure, but believe F class requirement is 98.5 and it should for you are using a rest/bipod and optics.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to believe this one...after all, everyone knows that once you add the word "tactical" to something, anything is possible and you can charge 3x the price for it! Add a tactical scope, in tactical mounts, and a tactical sling, tactical recoil pad, tactical grip cap, tactical sling swivels, tactical forend tip, tactical barrel crown, tactical bolt handle, tactical extractor and ejector, tactical scope cover, tactical action screws, tactical trigger springs and trigger face, etc. etc. and that rifle should be able to shoot 1/8 MOA at 2000+ yards...honestly, I read it on a tactical forum on the tactical internet I use while sitting at my tactical desk, in my tactical chair, with my tactical slippers on, drinking my tactical coffee out of my tactical coffee cup while using my tactical wireless mouse and key board! Big Grin

Posts: 1647 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is or were true, I think the most remarkable part would be that it was accomplished with Hornady factory ammunition. That would speak to some pretty intense production quality control.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Macs B,
Would certainly agree with you that all are novices in the beginning and if serious will strive to perform at a higher level if serious about the shooting sports, Long Range in particular. As for an experienced, trained, dedicated Long Range shooter being a small percentage of those who can shoot extremely well at long distance, I would disagree somewhat on that point. A shooter who has earned either Master or High Master in Across The Course and High Master in Long Range
is among a very select group of shooters. Yes, their number would be small compared to total shooters attempting Long Range(600yds-1000yds)
for it is not an easy level to reach and few reach that goal. Take the bench away, the bi pods, sand bags, use only sling for support, mat on ground and reach the levels mentioned above and then you have some bragging rights so to speak.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear you bought the farm, Macs B.

Even sorrier to hear that your analysis of competitive shooters neglected to consider the possibility that they, like their fellows in all the shooting sports, do it because they like it.

I'm generally sympathetic with you, MFD, but, well, don't we have F-Class because a bunch of sling shooters got too old to see through iron sights?

Next time you feel like denigrating them go out and give it a try.

Perhaps you forgot they shoot smaller targets?

As to Bench Rest--my discipline--you might consider it's strictest challenge to a rifle's accuracy, as most BR shooters do their best to isolate the rifle from the human factor. I.e., shoot free recoil?

Except, of course, when there's a breeze, and the poor bastards, who shoot blind--their last shot isn't spotted--have to wing it?

That Bench Rest shooters spend countless hours at the reloading bench, tuning loads, and at the range, testing them.

That Palma shooters, for the most part, all shoot 155's, and don't need to tune loads as generations before them have done all the work?

Nah, Macs B, you haven't earned voice on this forum. You retired to the farm, and, well, can denigrate competitive shooters a much as you want.

But you're not even a player.

Every competitive shooter takes his chances--you better know they'll be judged--and you're on the sidelines.

Your opinion means nothing to us until you walk to the firing line, for better or for worse, and take your chances like the rest of the men and women who do this on a regular basis.

flaco

Posts: 674 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find this thread amusing,

not only because it´s in part very judgemental about others results but because it does show the rip there is between competing and other shoters.

Short story- in Sweden there are no 500 UNL or 1000 meters BR comps today but up until 2008 there was.

I have a bunch of people I know that are BR guys, more than a few of them have god records and hold SR in BR lW and HW 100/200 and aggs, and have some international titles as well,

still that last time of 500 UNL here in Sweden a well known shooter (not competetor), I have known him since 2005 and I knew he was good shot with the others,

a stock 308 Win Rem 700 LTR with a NF sight and the shooter took second place, completely stomping out the competition bur for one shooter.

Well what does that tell me and should tell the rest of you,

1, there are shooters out there that are not on your radar, unknown to you that are marwelous shots,

2, do not judge others scores/results by your own, the other fellow might just be better than what you are,

3 there are always the one great target shot, the "display target" when shooting during a day.

last we all know that 6 mm br is great site and that they would most likely not post BS results or horsepoyyehh right,

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek064.html

This fellow does shoot groups at 1000 yards, from the ground and a bipod that will/ would stack up very good against a lot of shooters that shoot BR,

so is he a fake, is it not possible or is it that we are just not willing to accept his results due to the fact that it will mean that we are not as good as we like to think?

In short lets get real about our shooting.

However after looking at the article, I find that I am missing a bullet hole here and there, and that there even is a sticker on one of the targets.

/Chris

Posts: 978 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello flaco,
If it came across that I was deginerating the F class shooters, I apologize for that. You are correct that the F Class is designed just for those folks having problems due to age, eye sight, etc. and can still compete. Whatever it takes to keep the shooters ranks at high numbers in competetion is a good thing.
I have never shot F Class, but have shot Long Range for quite a number of years as well as National Match/XC. Last Registered Match, Long Range, not F Class, was in '98. Been a while but at that time I held High Master Classification, Long Range, and prior to that had made Master in XC. I can remember the time when the Line Officer would place a wedge under your support hand to see that you were not on the ground for support. We have a fairly close rifle range for 1000yd shooting and as you suggested I will load up my old Palma gun and find me some sand bags and give it a try next season. Might be at a disadvantage though for all my Registered Match scores were shot with Warner Micrometer rear sight and Anshutz globe front sight w/ post insert. Guess I will have to give in and use my Unertl 16x for that smaller target.