THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Is there any reason an Audette ladder would not work at 600 yards?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there any reason an Audette ladder would not work at 600 yards?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
A quick update.

The ladder load test seemed to work well at 600 yards with a good node appearing about midway in the charges and again near the top.

I'll do some chronographing on those weights and see where to go from there.

The 200 yard ladder was a bit of waste of components, the total group looking like a 15 shot 2" group.

The standard method of loading in half grain increments with bullets loaded to kiss the lands in respect of the 155gr SMK loads discussed earlier worked well, I'll post the 200 yards groups when I get a chance.

This rifle is accurate but finicky, it seems.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
As above chaps, the next club meet is going to be at 200 and 600 yards, which is a better distance for an impatient man to shoot a ladder test with 208gr AMAXes out of a 30.06? hilbily

Ghubert,

For me, this is the "do all, end all" for LR load development.

http://www.accurateshooter.com...ge-load-development/

The part that helped me the most, as I am already an Audette follower, is the coloring of the bullets to tell which holes are which on the target.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
quote:
As above chaps, the next club meet is going to be at 200 and 600 yards, which is a better distance for an impatient man to shoot a ladder test with 208gr AMAXes out of a 30.06? hilbily

Ghubert,

For me, this is the "do all, end all" for LR load development.

http://www.accurateshooter.com...ge-load-development/

The part that helped me the most, as I am already an Audette follower, is the coloring of the bullets to tell which holes are which on the target.

Alan

Thanks Alan, I followed the procedure in that article almost to the letter after doing my researches.

The good thing about Bisley is that we have a marker in the butts to mark your shots. I just plot the fall of shot on a range card and see which ones group where, I realise that I can't precisely measure the vertical dispersion but it seemed to work on Sunday.

I am keeping a tally of the number of bullets I use to get the load cracked for this and will compare it to the tally of getting a 155gr SMK load for the 308 using the conventional method.

A bit data and all that.

Regards,

GH

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I realise that I can't precisely measure the vertical dispersion ..
What prevents you from measuring the Verticle Dispersion? Won't they save the Target for you?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
I realise that I can't precisely measure the vertical dispersion ..
What prevents you from measuring the Verticle Dispersion? Won't they save the Target for you?

They could but it would be the same target that the rest of the club has been shooting on all afternoon, it would be riddled with patched holes. You also cannot access the butts until firing is over.

My plan was to eyeball the dispersion and test the subsequent loads over a chrony, the theory being the lowest ES and SD of velocity will have the lowest dispersion?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They could but it would be the same target that the rest of the club has been shooting on all afternoon, it would be riddled with patched holes. You also cannot access the butts until firing is over.
That is not good. It is really nice to be able to retrieve your own Target.

quote:
My plan was to eyeball the dispersion and test the subsequent loads over a chrony, the theory being the lowest ES and SD of velocity will have the lowest dispersion?
A lot of folks do just that and seem to get along fine. Might make for a good Thread or a Poll.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post