New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to get started and the cost
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I was to start from scratch and get started shooting long/longer range where would I start? What all would be needed and what are we looking at as far as cost? Any and all recommendations are welcomed.

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good scope with target knobs on a suitable rifle you already own is a good start

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which leads to the following questions:

What is a good scope?

What is a suitable caliber?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're just "getting started", there is a lot to consider.

Are you "all in" for the sport? For me, yes. If I have any rifle, I want to be able to use it at its longest effective range. Otherise it's as useless as tits on a boar

What is your budget for a rig?

If you already own a suitable rifle (one of a caliber and barrel twist rate capable of stabilizing high BC bullets for it, .30 cal, 6.5mm, 7mm, or a host of others) then you can just alter the scope you have or put one on that has target knobs. You'll need target knobs and a scope that functions properly mechanically. Some do not.

If you don't have a budget, buy the best you can find for everything you'll need. Custom rifle in the long range-capable caliber of choice, blue printed, pillar bedded, high$$ scope front focal plane MOA or Mil reticle on a 20 MOA rail.

You can get started with a rifle you already own. If you have a scope with target knobs, you're good to go. If you have a Leupold VX2 with enough magnification for LR accurate shots but no target knobs, Stoney point makes add on aftermarket knobs. I have some on hunting rifles. The scope functions perfectly with this set up. Cost about 450$ for the whole scope

It just depends on your situation

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Randy, I agree that you should start with what you have, if you have a rifle of any kind. A person can learn a whole lot from the old 22LR, concerning Wind, Shooting Form, Positions and how different Ammo affects the end results.

When you get into the Centerfires, you want to focus on the Sleekest Bullets(highest Ballistic Coefficients) available in that caliber "if" the Twist is enough to Stabilize them. That is typically listed in the Bullet Manufacturer's Manuals, or you can call and ask them.

The External Ballistic Tables in the backs of the Bullet Manufacturer's Manuals allow you to think through all kinds of "What if I ..." questions. I highly recommend looking through them.

If you have a 22cal Centerfire, you can get going at the least cost/shot. I agree the Target Knobs simplify changing distances, but you really do not have to put $$$HUGE$$$ in a scope to get a good one anymore. The $$$$BIG$$$$ scopes do offer advantages, but the average person does not start driving in a Rolls Royce.

I like the old Mil-Dot style scopes, but once you get out a long distance, the Dot which looks small up close can completely hide the intended Target at distance. A fine Duplex and Target Knobs, or one ofthe fine multiple Horizontal-Line Reticles and Target Knobs has its advantages.

The cost will vary depending on what kinda ""Deals"" you can locate. And of course how much you practice. To be a L-o-n-g Distance shooter, requires lots and LOTS of time and ammo.
-----

Good questions Drew.

Randy, what do you have now tha tyou might be able to begin with, or are you starting from the Beginning?
-----

This thread on Scopes should let you see what Features folks are typically looking for.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
For a rifle, the Weatherby Vanguard SUB-MOA for $800 is not a bad buy. Or the Vanguard 2, which was just released and carries a sub MOA guarantee, for $450 not a bad buy either. I have a regular Weatherby Vanguard in 300 WBY and really like the gun. It shoots 3/4" with Berger 185's and I used it to take my Utah moose last year.

For optics, I've systematically been replacing all of my optics to Vortex for the last couple of years. I have a 6.5x-20 with a BDC reticle on the 300 WBY and a 2x-7 on my 375 Ruger. For long range, they introduced a LH Hunter 4x-16 in the $550 range. Or in the $800 range you can go with a Viper PST. Those come with mil/mil or moa/moa adjustments and correlating reticle. Don't forget the cost of rings and bases.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Randy Routier:
If I was to start from scratch and get started shooting long/longer range where would I start? What all would be needed and what are we looking at as far as cost? Any and all recommendations are welcomed.

What do you shoot now? How far do you plan on shooting? Is this target practice on a static range or hunting in the field? What is long/longer range to you?

DON'T SKIMP ON OPTICS or the MOUNTS and RINGS.

Non-specific standard starting points are:
.308 Winchester out to 600 yards or more
.300 Winchester Magnums out to a 1000 yards or more
.338 Lapua Magnum out to 1500 yards

Past 1500 yards you generally start getting pretty far out of the main stream and into military applications.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good entry level "off the shelf" rifle if you do not already have one suitable, is the Rem. 700PSS version in 308. They are available in 300WinMag, but starting out would go with the 308. Probably the most studied, researched, documented round available today, tons of reload data, ballistic info, etc. 308 will perform very well at 1000yds with good shooter and equipment. Weaver offers the T24 target scope and you would need an elevated long range base to get out to the 1000yd mark, but very precise adjustments and not expensive. In the event you want to alter/modify the 700PSS in the future, lots of various stocks, triggers, out there. Truth of the matter the issue stocks with these 700's don't lack much to start with and are equipped with good bedding system. Issue triggers can be tuned safely to give something less than 3lbs and break very well. It's pretty much unlimited as to what you can build these rifles and in stock form, deliver under 1moa accuracy with good loads. I am not a Savage fan, but many are also starting out with those and seem to do well. Good luck.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Post:
quote:
Originally posted by Randy Routier:

What do you shoot now? How far do you plan on shooting? Is this target practice on a static range or hunting in the field? What is long/longer range to you?

DON'T SKIMP ON OPTICS or the MOUNTS and RINGS.

Non-specific standard starting points are:
.308 Winchester out to 600 yards or more
.300 Winchester Magnums out to a 1000 yards or more
.338 Lapua Magnum out to 1500 yards

Past 1500 yards you generally start getting pretty far out of the main stream and into military applications.

That's the thing I'm just a ranch boy who has only hunted on my place with handed down rifles and nothing special whatsoever and need to start from scratch. It would be for antelope to elk. 750 yards would be my maximum range goal for now. Another kicker is I'm in a wheelchair so that would be of consideration. When it's all said and done I have all of the time and energy to put into it but the cost might blow me away in the end. I was just inquiring to see what it would take. As a beginner I also don't know half of the terminology you guys use. LOL

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, Just because you have "nothing special" that doesn't mean you can use it to join the game. Many people consider a Remington 700 in .308 as "nothing special", but it's a very good place for the beginner to start.

I actually started with an out of the box, Winchester Model 70 Classic, chambered in 7mm STW. I floated the barrel, adjusted the trigger, worked up some loads, and next thing I know it's shooting 1/4 moa groups. This was with a $100.00 BSA Mil-dot scope. The little BSA worked for about 500 rounds, then the lenses began to shift with every pull of the trigger. So, I started with "nothing special". When the scope and barrel gave out I replaced them, and also upgraded the stock along the way. This also allowed for me to upgrade my equipment as I improved.

Of course many of my hand-me downs I'd never modify, so I can appreciate if you want to keep them as is.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's the thing I'm just a ranch boy who has only hunted on my place with handed down rifles and nothing special whatsoever and need to start from scratch. It would be for antelope to elk. 750 yards would be my maximum range goal for now. Another kicker is I'm in a wheelchair so that would be of consideration. When it's all said and done I have all of the time and energy to put into it but the cost might blow me away in the end. I was just inquiring to see what it would take. As a beginner I also don't know half of the terminology you guys use. LOL

So what are you shooting now?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A old .270 and a 6mm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell us about your .270?
Make, Model?
And what's your initial budget?

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6mm what? Remington?

Good long range target bullets are scarce for the .270

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
Good long range target bullets are scarce for the .270
Has Nosler quit making B-Tips and Sierra quit making GameKing Hollow Points in the 0.277" size? old nilly

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post