THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Long range shooting equipment,better and best?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long range shooting equipment,better and best?
 Login/Join

posted
I want to get started in long range shooting. I was planning on taking the two day course in long range shooting. The school offers complete gun packages, special scopes, ballistic calculators, load set up and a gun that shoots a guarantee 1/2".est.
I do want good equipment,I dont mind paying for quality equipment,my question is;
Is there better sources available for top quality equipment like what Gunwerks offers?
I hate buying things twice..Looking for suggestion or your thoughts.
Dyno

Posts: 4 | Registered: 06 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dyno:
I want to get started in long range shooting. I was planning on taking the two day course in long range shooting. The school offers complete gun packages, special scopes, ballistic calculators, load set up and a gun that shoots a guarantee 1/2".est.
I do want good equipment,I dont mind paying for quality equipment,my question is;
Is there better sources available for top quality equipment like what Gunwerks offers?
I hate buying things twice..Looking for suggestion or your thoughts.
Dyno

Don't they furnish equipment also as part of that package? It's suppose be introduction course to LR and I'd call them and make sure.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom
your right they do..my question is what are some other proven sources ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dyno:
Tom
your right they do..my question is what are some other proven sources ?

I don't think there lot that offer total package like Gunwerks also letting you try their rifles and your going to learn how to load for those rifles.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
The million dollar question:

Do you have access to a place where you can shoot at long range? The only way to learn the wind is to practice, and not just at one place; you need lots of areas or you will subconsciously "plug in" the prevailing conditions at a single location.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will need to drive 1-1/2 hrs to get somewhere to practic,good point. Range conditions are always different from sitting on a hill side
wirh cactus poking ya..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If there is a club/range that conducts long range shooting, 600-1000yds is the NRA definition of Long Range, I would suggest you go for a visit on match day and observe and speak with the users of whatever equipment they are using. If you can locate a shooter there who is a Master or High Master rated, he or she can be of great asistance to you and usually very cooperative with those new to the game-they were new also at one time. If you are going to shoot Supported Fire/F class the gear is a bit different compared to Prone/Sling/Micrometer sights shooting. Either one is a challenging shooting sport and would warn you that once you start, it is hard to quit!

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also in PA, wolf precision
www.allhogsgotoheaven.com

I shot jamie's class last year and am going back in may. 3 day course lectur in in mornings and shooting in afternoon. He will teach you how to read the wind and to range using your reticles. He can build you a rifle and has riflesnfornrent in class for you to try. Class cost 695.00

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brent
Great Info ,thanks !

one of us
posted Hide Post
The big thing with Gunwerks and their 2 day school is your shooting one of their custom LR package rifles.

One advantage is you get to try before buying considering the LR package varies calibers includes NF scope/custom action/barrel break-in/accuracy test (1/2")/scope dial in ballistic tables.

it cost $250 but they will do and furnish all the loads development for the rifle it can be a total turn key rifle. If you don't want to load for the rifle they even sell you ammo for it.

I think if Kirby Allen over on LR hunting build a package like that it cost pretty close to what Gunwerks gets.

VFW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dyno,
I looked at gunnewerks product and classes as well as thompson long range and a few others. The thing that turned me away was a dependence on a laser range finder. I believe that all electronic things are made to break, and most likely at a in opportune time. I was hunting ibex in Pakistan and we had a very nice shooter at somewhere between 400-500 yards. A significant difference in bullet point of impact. Snow was coming down so hard the range finder would not work. If a company tells you that their range finder will work through heavy rain or snow or fog, they are lying. I made up my mind to learn to use reticles to range. Now I still carry a range finder, but now I have two options. So I suggest a place to learn this skill as well as windaus. The shooting part is easy, we can teach a monkey to make a shot.
I strongly recommend Jamie, he is very laid back. His rifles are priced about the same as the other guys. I do not have one because he only uses Remington actions which I do not like.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent:

IMO range estimation is a completely different skill set than estimating wind - and any school that doesn't focus on reading the wind is a waste of money.

I too have had rangefinders fail, but if you do the math, you aren't going to be very successful at long range without one. Do the math on what an error of 1 inch in subtension does at 600 yards on a 15 inch target - a 40 yard error is likely a miss.

Granted, they work great if the target is 300 yards or even 400, but past that, good luck.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Hi Dyno,

I like gucci kit as much as the next but really and truly, MFD has it right.

But a 308/30-06 in a good stable stock with a 30" bull-barrel and join a long range shooting club.

If you're a personable sort of chap you'll very rapidly have the sort of help and coaching that would cost a lot of money from one of those outfits you mention, and you get it every time there's a club meet on the range.

You don't even need a scope if you shoot NRA targets with peep-sights and the principles are exactly the same.

With the best will in the world there is not a hope in hell a three day course can make you proficient of the techniques needed for long range shooting.

Buy some good basic kit and spend the cash on range fees and ammo.

BEst,

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:

With the best will in the world there is not a hope in hell a three day course can make you proficient of the techniques needed for long range shooting.

Buy some good basic kit and spend the cash on range fees and ammo.

That is good advice. Get out and shoot. IMO, a little bit of shooting very often under different conditions is a lot better than a lot of shooting under a little bit of conditions. I often shoot only 3 or 4 bullets when I go out, but I shoot 3 times a week.