THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Does Long Range practice really make you better at hunting?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Long Range practice really make you better at hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a long range thread so I would never condem a person for making a long range shot on an animal IF they have the ability to do it. I have seen times when the only shot you can possibly get is a long ways. Eastern Co. has plenty of very flat land and a nie buck standing in the middle of a 1000 acre wheat field is pretty darn hard to sneak up on. Probably impossible. Is that hunting? IMO yes it is. Would I take a 1000 yd shot on an animal? No way, I ain't that good. With that said I think that maybe 90% of our shots are less than 300 yds. and that is where a person should concentrate their practice. We all know that more support is better for accuracy but sometimes the bi-pod, stick, or even a backpack isn't available. Thats why practicing from field positions is important to me.

I had the oppertunity to practice on a training course for Special Forces and it helped me a lot. 5 targets in various locations about 10 yds apart. Some big, some little. I move out from the targets about 100 yds and try to offhand hit each one. Then sitting, then kneeling. Then repeat at 150 yds. and then 200 yds. You find out real quick how good you really are but at the end of the day hopefully you're better than when you started. Great practice for reaction time and field shooting.

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post