New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunwerks LR-1000 7mm LRM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Now that the 7mm LRM has been out for a while with the new Berger Hunting 180gr VLDs, does anyone have any "first hand field experience" with the cartridge and/or LR-1000?

I am considering a LR-1000 in the LRM as a quick solution for a 600yd - 1000yd hunting platform.

Thanks!

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have zero experience with their stuff. I have been messing with long range shooting for a few years, mostly F-Class. Some 1000 yard, and some 300-600 yard fly shoots.

These guys have put their dues in and I think they are building quality rifles. For a turn-key situation it is probably ideal. Price is steep.

I think they are $5500 plus scope and mounts.

If turn-key is important to you then do it.

If not here's another option.

Prices are approximate:

1. Action Surgeon, Defiance, Stiller, Badger, Pierce, Nesika $1000-1500.

2. Barrel and installation $750-1500 bottom end of Schneider, Benchmark, Lilja or top end if you want carbon fiber from Proof or Christensens.

3. Trigger $100-350 Jewell, Timney, Shilen or a 2 stage.

4. Bottom metal $50-450 for Badger A-5 to cheap Remington take off.

5. Cerakote $150-250

6. Stock $300-1500

7. Bedding $ up to 450

Total will be between $2450-7500. Money isn't everything to everyone.

They are probably a fair representation of what is a fair price for a modern CNC built semi-production rifle.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, I am not claiming that Proof and Christensens are top end, I am saying they are the top end of the price point.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW - Thanks for that. I have several F Class/Open range rifles. 6-.284, 6.5-284, .270 WSM, and just sold a .338 Laupa. I am used to pulling parts together with my gunsmith and working loads and spending hours and hours and hours trying to bring Frankenstein alive. It is amazingly rewarding when you get to the other side of all that.

What I am after is a turn-key LR hunting rifle that I can easily carry and scoot around with in the outback to cull and more importantly deal with Jackals who are more switched on than any Coyote that I have encountered. Taking them at distance is necessary and the first shot counts.

Gunwerks stuff is not cheap, but they potentially cut a serious amount of time out of the equation if the hype lives up to reality. I am willing to trade $$$ for development time as I have to get on top of a Jackal situation. The other course of action is to rent the Robinson 22 and deal with them from the air and that ain't cheap (but it's a hell of a lot of fun).

The other thing that looks appealing about the LR-1000 in concert with their range finder is the ability to range, dial and shoot without a whole lot of work. Assuming it all works as advertised. They of course make it all look pretty damn simple...

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, gotcha.

So I am going to change my answer quite a bit.

They aren't the final answer on dial and kill shooting.

There are tons of systems that do the same thing. Their G7 range finder is great if you use a MOA type reticle.

I am purposely buying the next rifle scope with that range finder in mind. But there are tons of scopes that would work with that range finder, not just their scope, not just their rifle.

The system is based on MOA. Most military systems are based on MIL or milradians. I'd prefer them to to build a MIL system and I'd never go back to MOA.

Their original system was based on turrets based on your load, altitude, temp and humidity. Not bad if you never leave the Wyoming desert and always hunt between 6000-8000 feet. But I did leave the Wyoming desert, so their original system didn't work.

Their new MOA based system does all the sniper math for you after you plug in the bullets BC and speed.

All you need is a rifle that shoots well, to know the BC and speed of your bullet from that same rifle, know the height of the scope above the bore axis, and point the G7 laser range finder at what you want to kill and it tells yo how many MOA to come up.

I would stay away from anything with turrets that was based on a weather, temp, humidity, barometric pressure and altitude range. Exact is exact especially at 1000 yards.

In my opinion rifle is probably not the problem, your own personal shooting system is. Long range requires tons of practice.

The perceived problem from the shows is that you buy the rifle and can make the shots. That would not be anywhere near the truth.

I don't think I am telling you anything you don't now if you are shooting F-Class already.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with everything you said and that has been my experience too. Lying comfortably on the line and dropping pills in at 800 yards with a known wind is fairly straightforward. Dope the wind, dial the drop and bullets have a way of finding the target after 20 warm up shots.

The bitch of it comes when you are in the field, lasing the target, estimating the wind and spin drift and target speed and trying to do all that in 30 seconds on a cold bore. I really like the idea of a MOA matched range finder and dial. As long as it all works...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been considering doing this for my next F-Class rifle. They make a repeater as a tactical model that would be a great LR hunting rifle.
http://www.kelbly.com/arcas-rifles.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the G7 for a few years now. For my use, long range marmots, it can't be beat. Mine is set up to give solutions in MOA. It only takes a few seconds to dial turrets for the shot. Longest 1st shot kill with this system was 1402 yards.
As you already know, the wind is the hard part.
My rifle was built by Quarter Minute Magnums.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The G7 with a ballistic turret looks to be the way to go to quickly dial in windage and elevation. Combine that with a BR2 Rangefinder and life gets a little more simple.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a custom 22-240Wby with a 1:8 twist shooting 80gr A-Maxs.......it's topped with a Nightforce 5.5-22X56 in a Near Alphamount..... with a Kenton Ballistic turret on the Nightforce. Works perfectly.

I can regularly shoot roos with it out 1000+ yards if I do my part.

I use a Leica 10x42 HD-B binocular for my range finding.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
I have a custom 22-240Wby with a 1:8 twist shooting 80gr A-Maxs.......it's topped with a Nightforce 5.5-22X56 in a Near Alphamount..... with a Kenton Ballistic turret on the Nightforce. Works perfectly.

I can regularly shoot roos with it out 1000+ yards if I do my part.

I use a Leica 10x42 HD-B binocular for my range finding.

I have a Swift with a fast twist bbl that shoots 80 gr AMAXs as well - extremely accurate and the wind deflection is half the lighter bullets. I shoot it regularly out to 800 yards.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They work... tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of JustOneMoreShot
posted Hide Post
I have the G7 laser and it works very well with the standard NightForce NXS and SHV scopes. It is a really nice laser and computer rolled into one unit. All that is left is to accurately account for the wind.

Posts: 54 | Location: GA USA | Registered: 16 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is supposed to be a very good range finder...I've never used one but hear good things about them.

What sort of distances can you range with it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used mine to range out to a mile. It is supposed to be capable of ranging to 2000 yards. Ballistic solutions to 1400.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post