New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Twist
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When shooting way out there does the twisting of your bullet from the rifling in your barrel need to be taken into account?

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's called "spin drift".

Bullets tend to drift to the right. My ballistic program account for this and is reflected in hold-off values

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Randy Routier:
When shooting way out there does the twisting of your bullet from the rifling in your barrel need to be taken into account?

Youneed to shoot your bullet on a calm no wind day and measure any spin drift that you may have. This can then be imputed into the Exbal program that I use

I do not use any spin drift for the 300 grain SMK in my 338 Lapua. I know several others that do not use any spin drift for this bullet either.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I can't say it's something that has so much affect on bullet flight that it's noticeable.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I believe you would have to be shooting WAY past 1k before you need to start worrying about it. WAY WAY past.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
I believe you would have to be shooting WAY past 1k before you need to start worrying about it. WAY WAY past.

Alan

Depends on the rifle and the bullet in my experience

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it matter if you have right twist or left twist rifling and if the wind is from the right or the left?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drew, there are very few firearms with a left hand twist. Colt revolvers are the only one that come to mind at the moment.

Remember spin drift is realitive, so a spin drift adjustment is in addition to any windage and elevation adjustment.

I can see it a little bit in my rifles, but not much. If i remember correctly, for me it's like 1/4 MOA at 500 yards....if that.

When I zero, if in doubt, I leave it an extra click to the left and figure I have the spin drift covered out to at least 500 yards.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
You need to shoot your bullet on a calm no wind day and measure any spin drift that you may have. This can then be imputed into the Exbal program that I use

I do not use any spin drift for the 300 grain SMK in my 338 Lapua. I know several others that do not use any spin drift for this bullet either.

tu2 Good answer! Get a good ballistics program and practice at ACTUAL RANGES.

You'll find out that there are "bigger fish to fry" than worrying about spin drift (gyroscopic drift). Like learning to read the wind etc.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
quote:
You need to shoot your bullet on a calm no wind day and measure any spin drift that you may have. This can then be imputed into the Exbal program that I use

tu2 Good answer! Get a good ballistics program and practice at ACTUAL RANGES.

You'll find out that there are "bigger fish to fry" than worrying about spin drift (gyroscopic drift). Like learning to read the wind etc.

I would worry about canting before I would worry about this.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:

Alan

Depends on the rifle and the bullet in my experience

I'll take "your" word on that topic.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post