THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Ballistic App for iphone, ipod, ipad ($20.00)

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistic App for iphone, ipod, ipad ($20.00)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got the iphone ballistic app...

"Ballistic (Advanced): The Pro Ballistic Trajectory Computer Supporting iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch"

It's FAST and fantastic with great detail and some advanced wind dopping features. The HUD feature is also very fast and easy to use. So easy and fast that you wonder why you needed that extra BR2 at $1600.00.

Have you tried it?

AIU

Posts: 3720 | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
I've got the iphone ballistic app...

"Ballistic (Advanced): The Pro Ballistic Trajectory Computer Supporting iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch"

It's FAST and fantastic with great detail and some advanced wind dopping features. The HUD feature is also very fast and easy to use. So easy and fast that you wonder why you needed that extra BR2 at $1600.00.

Have you tried it?

AIU

I have not tried it but my iPhone battery dies within hours if I forget to put it in airplane mode. Even then, it dies eventually...then what do you do? I was out shooting yesterday and checking email - very hard to read in daylight, and I need to put my reading glasses on to read it.

But how does that app read the shot angle? How does it know the temp/atmospheric pressure?

If you are hunting in the mountains, you need something to measure the angle - it is impossible to estimate.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The iphone will - and does within the program - measure LOS (angle), the compass function will give you a shooting direction azimuth for Coriolis effect, and via the program the iphone will hook-up (via the internet) the nearest weather station info, which includes nearest station temperature, barometric pressure, and relative humidity.

Location elevation (GPS) is also determined by the iphone and included in the density altitude determination and latitude (GPS) is measured for Coriolis acceleration correction.

Compass function will tell you wind direction compared to firing direction, but you will need to estimate wind speed or be able to measure it.

Although the program has a range estimator, IMO you'll need a good laser range finder.

If you're worried about running low on battery, get an inexpensive Mophie back-up. It will recharge 4 times from a dead iphone battery.

Bottom-line: The iphone is a fantastic computer, and this ballistic program takes advantage of it. You can’t go wrong for $20.00.

And there’s more….but it's easier for you read about it than for me to retype it here.

One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
Is this the app by Peak studios?

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyeman:
Is this the app by Peak studios?

Yes, here is the URL for download.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/ap...ion/id303254296?mt=8

There are videos available at their site and on youtube, if you're interested.

Strelok Pro is another great ballistic app, which you may like better. See URL below...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/ap...pro/id525429653?mt=8

Both are very cheap and fast.

Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both, I prefer Ballistic.

Posts: 51 | Location: South East Ohio | Registered: 27 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Strelok Pro because it not only provides a one shot solution, but also, helps greatly with the ballistic reticles - first or second focal plane.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
I am looking for an android app, and thinking I will get applied ballistics. From the user comments I have seen, it seems pretty good and still not too badly priced.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_500:
I am looking for an android app, and thinking I will get applied ballistics. From the user comments I have seen, it seems pretty good and still not too badly priced.

That - ie., Applied Ballistics - should be Bryan Litz's program, which is the industry standard - it should be FANTASTIC! I have compared all of these programs and they give identical solutions to a specific shooting situation. They all seem to work quite well.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have seen other side-by-side reviews of ballistic apps that came to the same conclusion. IE that most good ballistic programs give the same solutions, at least within 1000 yards.

The main benefit site re Applied Ballistics (aside form the fact it seemed to give accurate output out to very long ranges) was easy usability in hunting situations.

I am looking forward to giving it a try.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post