New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i've got this question posted in the optic section as well. how good are the sightron scopes (SIII 8-32X56)i'm gonna be shooting out to 600 yards and would like to work my way out to 1000. looked at the nightforce but there just bad high. are these scopes of good quality? how do they look against a nightforce.

Posts: 91 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice scopes but you might try the leupold MK 4 LRT. It works on my .50 cal out to 2400 yards.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most 8-32X scopes have 1/8 inch clicks and don't have a lot of adjustment range. Some only have 20 MOA.

I have two Sightron scopes; one suffered from a shifting zero when I changed magnification. Sightron replaced it for free. Come to think of it, I got both of them for free anyway. They make a good scope for the money. The adjustments move the POI when you click them. I have one on a .223 Rem 700 and another on a Ruger No.1 .204.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought a long range rifle scope in while, but I'll say look at Leupold as well.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pesonally not a fan of variables, prefer the fixed power optics, but that is just me and you can't really go wrong with the Leupold offerings. I used a straight 16x Weaver T16 for a number of years and it works fine and has positive adjustments for windage as needed. For 1000yds w/ 308 you will run out of elevation adj. and used 20moa base to provide the needed elevation. The magnification of scopes much beyond 16x makes for issues in seeing your heart beat, mirage, etc. beyond the 600yd line. I shot prone/with sling and perhaps on bags/support that would not be a problem??
For prone/sling shooting you had better be a "hard holder" to manage a 24x scope.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20x50 from Camera Land with a Z reticle from the deal they offer in the classifieds. There is also a $50 rebate from Zeiss on the range type reticles. All in, I got the scope with target turrets and varmit reticle for a little over $700. Super scope!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
My buddy picked up a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP and it was pretty sweet! The adjustments and the reticle are both in MOA or you can get both in MIL/MIL configuration.

I use a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 on my long range rig and have been more than happy with it. Vortex makes drop turrets for it. I've heard nothing but good stuff from all the people that I know who shoot Vortex optics.

Tyler

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sightron SIII 8-32 is an exceptionally bright and sharp scope whose only disadvantage, as far as I can see, is that it has 1/4 MOA clicks.

At least mine does.

They now have a long range target model with 1/8th clicks.

On my straight .284 Win heavy bench gun--about 28lbs--I use a Sightron SIII 10-50x56.

With these two scopes I took Third Place Overall in last April's NBRSA 1000 Yard Nationals.

flaco

Posts: 674 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flaco:

Congrats on the tin cups.

1/4 minute clicks are not a disadvantage. Most scopes with 1/8 clicks have half the total adjustment that a 1/4 inch scope has.

Burris put out a 8x32 (might still do) that only had 20 MOA W/E adjustment. Forget that.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Burris' 8-32X50 Black Diamond has 1/8" clicks and has 39 inches of adjustment.

The 6-24X50 Black Diamond also has 1/8" clicks and has 52 inches of adjustment.

They are both great long range tools.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
I own 2 SIII 8-32x56 scopes, both are amazing pieces of glass for the price I paid!! You cannot go wrong with one of these scopes IMHO.

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
Burris' 8-32X50 Black Diamond has 1/8" clicks and has 39 inches of adjustment.

The 6-24X50 Black Diamond also has 1/8" clicks and has 52 inches of adjustment.

They are both great long range tools.

God Bless, Louis

39 inches means from center you have about 20 MOA, which is 80 clicks. That would be enough and you can put a 20 MOA base to get more. But 20 total would only get you 10 from center, which is not nearly enough.

The 8-32 used to only have 20. Regardless, you don't need 1/8 inch adjustments for long range work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My scope has 1/10th Mil clicks (.36") and 115 minutes of adjustment.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I like the Burris Signature rings too. You can gain from 5 to 40 moa just changing the plastic inserts. You have to have rings anyway. But you don't have to pay a bunch for the moa base.

RyanB, Which scope do you use? I bet the writer really wouldn't like 1/10th clicks.

AZwriter, 20 moa would be 160 clicks with 1/8th moa clicks.

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post