Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Wind Meters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey AZ!

6" targets out to 350 and 12" for the rest except the 875 which is big at 16"x24"

At our local range 9"x12" at 650 and beyond

Believe me, if you can get proficient at the SRM, you'll never miss the vitals when things are right while hunting. Best practice in the world!

Let's shoot in May!

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, are the cheaper wind meters any good?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Da Man,

Totally agree about mirage. Unfortunately, it is much harder to see mirage here in in AZ than say, Wyoming.

I hope you're pulling my leg or testing me, AnotherAZWriter! Wink

Because I've shot at most of the ranges in AZ....and I can tell you.... mirage is pretty simple to read there! Wink

As soon as that sun hits the ground..... things start happening! Wink

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, what I mean is that it is often non-existent compared to Wyoming - the air is much dryer. Without moisture in the air, there is no mirage.

I found it easier to see mirage in MN in the winter than here in AZ.

But, most of my long range shooting is not at a range but in the desert, and consequently I am shooting at targets that when viewed from my firing point, have no terra firma directly below (because to clear the vegetation, I have to shoot from hill to hill).

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Altitude above the ground makes mirage impossible to read? Or is it the wind velocity from hill to hill? Wink

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
So, are the cheaper wind meters any good?
Peter.

The kestrell 3500, 4000 and 4500 all give the same info. Much more than just wind speed. Barometric station pressure is more accurate than simply imputing in elevation. This may not be improtant to you untill you get far enough out and then the little errors realy start to mount up.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
Altitude above the ground makes mirage impossible to read? Or is it the wind velocity from hill to hill? Wink

It is just a lot harder to read. When I go to Wyoming, it stands out loud and clear. In AZ, not so easy, at least where I shoot. I can see it if I focus on a dark rock near my target, but I have no confidence it is giving a composite picture of the entire range. Like I said, mirage is light refraction caused by moisture in the air. Less moisture = less mirage.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks jwp. The kestrel 3500 is around $200. When I said cheaper I meant the meters that cost $50-$60. Any experience with those?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a "wind wizard" that was 40$. It seemed to work ok. It had no cover for the impeller and lasted about a month.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Peter you need more info than just wind. My experience is like rc's, you get what you pay for

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post