New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 94 "Big bore"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked one up almost if not new. Never shot it can't find any 375 win ammo. Seems like a good idea anyone have personal experience with these rifles? Reloading only option it seems looks like there is some custom ammo around. I think its an early 80's rifle as far as I can tell still has tag on it

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feed mine with Winchester 38/55 brass. Trim to 2.080. it's a wonderful cartridge and rifle.a cast 230 gas check at 2200 is easy to attain.

Posts: 123 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
starline makes excellent brass also.
I use a lyman 375449 mold sized to .379, it's gas checked and slightly heavy but feeds 100% and is accurate from 38-55 black powder speeds up to 'that's enough recoil' levels.

Winchester just done a short run of factory ammo not too long ago there might still be traces of it on someone's site.
I wouldn't try holding my breath waiting for the next run to come along.

Posts: 4978 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
http://www.ammofreedom.com/buy...edirect&asaid=as0003

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently sold a pristine Big Bore 94 in .375 -- I really hated to sell it! It was very accurate, as long as I tested from a cool barrel. The "magic powder" for these is RL-7, which very frequently gives outstanding accuracy. The rifle was very easy to develop an accurate hunting load for -- one afternoon working with a chronograph and increasing loads with RL-7, 1 grain at a time. 1 grain below published maximum was the magic load in my case.

Winchester .375 brass is made for higher pressures than .38-55 brass. These rifles can operate at significantly higher pressures than .30-30's or .38-55's. With a scope on the rifle (side mount) for load development only, the rifle averaged 1.5" at 100 yards for 5 consecutive 3-shot groups.

The groups were larger if I didn't let the barrel cool completely (say, 20-30 minutes) between groups. However, this is the standard condition one would be in when shooting at a deer or hog. After working up my accuracy load, I removed the scope and added a Williams Foolproof receiver sight and a Marble's Sourdough front sight, and this combination shot very well also.

I used the now-discontinued Hornady 220 gr. Flat Point bullets made for the .375 Winchester. This is an outstanding bullet for this cartridge. If you find these for sale, I highly recommend your buying them.

The Sierra 200 gr. FP is a good bullet, but not as tough as the Hornady for shooting hogs and bigger critters, from what I can gather. I shot one hog at about 40 yards (about 100 lbs), quartering to me, with the Hornady 220 gr., and he only traveled about 10" -- straight down.

The .375's holes in the ribcage were definitely more impressive than with another, similar hog that I shot the next day. The second hog was shot with a .30-30 16" barreled Trapper, using 170 gr. Hornady bullets. Bullet placement was virtually identical to the one shot with the .375. The hog shot with the .30-30 also hit the ground immediately and never moved.

I was the only person at the hunting camp shooting iron sights (which I love for hunting), and my not having scoped rifle seemed to boggle the other hunter's minds! Of interest, a fellow with a .300 WSM (scoped) made a poor shot on a hog that had to be trailed a considerable distance. The lever actions worked just fine!!

I found that this cartridge seems to respond well to heavy neck tension, at least with jacketed bullets. After working with some machine-cast bullets and a neck expander die, I used some of the sized and neck-expanded brass for jacketed bullet testing, and accuracy was poor. I then quit using the expander die, full-length sized, and also applied a strong crimp using a Lee Factory Crimp die. Accuracy with this approach was excellent.

If you want any original Winchester .375 brass, I still have a supply of new-in-bag brass. If interested, please PM me on this site. These are great rifles -- light, handy, very smooth to operate, accurate and powerful. As I say, I really hated selling it! I think you have a fine rifle, and that you will really enjoy using it. I never found the recoil objectionable, and it is a joy to carry and hunt with.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunslinger55,

FYI, more information in this thread further down this page:

375 Winchester ammunition available again-at least for a short time

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunslinger
I have a 6 cav mold Ranchdog had made up to fit the 375 win throat and leade. It works beautifully in my marlin .375. You are welcome to borrow it to make up a batch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The quality of those early 1894BB's was the best Winchester had made since the pre '64 days. Plus none of the extra safety & rebounding hammer additions of later models.

The cartridge is well suited to the 94 Winchester and it makes for a light and powerful package. Finding 375 brass is an issue these days but you can use 38/55 brass (not sure about the extra long brass though) or reform 30/30 brass. If you do a google search you'll find posts on how to do this. I prefer using 30/30 brass for higher pressure loads as its more heavily constructed in the head area. Just buy a Lee FCD and you're in business.

It's really cheap to load if cast you own. Reloader 7 and AR2207 (H4198) are good powders. For roughly about the same powder burnt in a 223 you can launch a 250-300 cast slug at around 1800-2100 fps.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Basically a 30-30 in a different pair of boots..Good killer on deer and bear, OK for elk up to 150 yards IMO..Id just as soon have a 30-30 myself...Ive never seen much difference in the 375 Win, 38-55 or even the 35 rem on deer, they all resulted in the same results on game..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41838 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, great reply. Isn't it fun to "boggle minds" with iron-sighted rifles.

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16378 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I've got one in .375 Win. Too bad Hornady discontinued their 220 gr FP bullet. I'm ordering up some cast 250's to try in their place.

I also have a Ruger #3 in .375 Win.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I feel bad for you, z1r (if not me) - 200 of those Hornady 220-grain bullets came with my BB when I got it more than 30 years ago, and I've still got about 160 of them.

With a new .45-70 to play with, I guess I should leave those .375 bullets to the kids for when no factory ammo can be bought at all.

Posts: 4961 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote