New
Find
Notify
Tools

Puma lever action rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any experience with these? Quality? Accuracy?

I believe they are made by Rossi.

Thanks

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang, I just fired up the computer to ask that very same question!
I saw a used Puma/ Rossi 357 at the gunshop, it seemed a bit better quality then others I'd seen. Did Taurus take them over, and up-grade things a bit? Nice trigger pull and smooth cycle of the action it seemed on this one. Whats going price for a used one also?

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 480 and couldn't be happier, mine was pretty slick and had a good trigger right from the box.

I never see usued ones around, but guessing $300ish.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just read on leverguns.com that Pumas are now being built in Italy. They are also supposed to be building 1886 Winchester clones in carbine and rifle formats. Chiappa(spelling?) is the maker.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
anyone have one of this in 45 LC or 454? I THINK i want one in either, with a 3/4 loop and highviz sights...

would be a great 4wheeler gun, i think

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one in 44 Rem Mag with 16" barrel. The only thing I did not care for on it was the addition of a safety lever on top of the bolt/slide in front of the hammer. Otherwise seemed like a solid little carbine. Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I have had the Brazilian-built Rossis with the very dark wood in .44-40, .44 Magnum and .357 Magnum. They all responded very well to handloads and they used to be very affordable. I would be all over one for $300.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 454 with the 20" bbl. Picks up about 300 fps over the Ruger 71/2. I like it but its not a kids gun, 300grs at 2000.

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this has been mentioned before but I think it would be cool if any of these companies would offer the .500S&W in a compact carbine. Be a stout little rifle and a companion to the S&W X-frame. Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The picture of the Italian ones do not show that safety lever on top of the bolt. If you have one that has that ugly, useless thing, there is a guy on leverguns.com who makes a metal plug that you can simply stick in that hole after you remove the safety(which is supposed to be pretty easy to do).
Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Puma in 454 is a neat little gun, I have shot one for a while and had no problems with it. They do have a little pop to them. Good rifle.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rodney
You can go to townermfg.com and click on firearms. They have a small pump rifle in 500 S&W magnum. Pretty expensive though.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
have had the Brazilian-built Rossis with the very dark wood in .44-40, .44 Magnum and .357 Magnum. They all responded very well to handloads and they used to be very affordable. I would be all over one for $300.

They have $300 on the one I looked at, no safety, like new condition. I must be a cheap bastard, I'm hopeing he'll take $250-275 max on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
have a 480 and couldn't be happier, mine was pretty slick and had a good trigger right from the box.

Al, could you tell me a little more about your 480 Rossi? Is it the same size action as the others, is it light or heavy? What are your loads like?