Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts , 30-30 to 30-30AI
 Login/Join

posted
I have oftened wondered why this conversion isn't used more. Ackley's book printed in the early sixties states it will get a 150 gr bullet above 2600 f/s. This is close to 300 Savage velocities.

Posts: 16 | Location: CO. U.S.A. | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably because most 30-30s are lever guns and rated for lower pressures.

You would most likely need a bolt action for the 30-30 AI.

Posts: 119 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 25 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plus, someone, it may have been Ken Waters, couldn't get much of an improvement in actual tests. And if you are just going up in pressure in a bolt gun you can do it in the standard case anyway.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason the 30-30 AI isnt or wasnt ever popular was you could buy a savage 99 in 300 savage and then later .308win and the AI process doesnt get that much velocity in some cases. It just doesnt warrant new dies and the machine work for so little gain.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want more than 30-30 the biggest gain is going to a rifle that can use a pointed bullet. I know they make bolt action 30-30's but these really don't make sense to me. If moving on--move on to .308 for example. If you have a bolt 30-30 and load pointed bullets for it,Murphy's Law one of those bullets winds up in a gun not intended for it. Many skirt the issue by using one pointed in chamber. Yes if you are extemely careful this can be done. If you are extremly careful,you can keep rattlesnakes in your house. Using a pointed in the chamber creates another problem--either your first shot is not where sighted or your following shots aren't sighted in.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frankly before I went to a 30-30A-I and the CUSTOM dies (at enormous cost) I'd have someone run a 30Win Chamber reamer through the rifle.

I WOULD NOT however do this to a Winchester.
I would do this to a Marlin 336 ONLY if I had already
secured a supply of 307Win Brass and dies.

Then again simply getting a new Marlin in 308Marlin would easily accomplish the same effect.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This one, like most AIs burn more powder but get negligible performance benefit. Since cheap chronos came along AIs started the trek to the asheap.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For hunting I suspect the 30-30 will kill as well with like placement shots and good bullets, as the Imp. version.

I see absolutly no advantage to the AI., neither did Ackley btw.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
Frankly before I went to a 30-30A-I and the CUSTOM dies (at enormous cost) I'd have someone run a 30Win Chamber reamer through the rifle.

I WOULD NOT however do this to a Winchester.
I would do this to a Marlin 336 ONLY if I had already
secured a supply of 307Win Brass and dies.

Then again simply getting a new Marlin in 308Marlin would easily accomplish the same effect.

AllanD

ditto

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote