Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant with 45-70.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted
This Elephant was takin with Garrett ammo's 500 grain Speer Tungsten Solid at 1530 fps which fully petetrated the brain and exited.

Kevin Dooley using a Kodiak Double Rifle.

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
shit!!!!

duck!!!!

you done it now!!!

i guess 4 pages of pissing and moaning animal

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
And Muhammad Ali whooped George Forman..Facts are facts and life goes on.

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
this will up the interest in the 45-70 double rifle thread Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Good on ya. I also posted this hunt and the info on Randy's cartridges. Garrett is the hallmark of first class ammo when it comes to the 45-70 and .44 Magnum

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jayco
That is nice looking Ivory.
What did it weigh?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya oughta post this in the "African Big Game Hunting" forum too. Then duck! hammering

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akpls:
Ya oughta post this in the "African Big Game Hunting" forum too. Then duck! hammering

Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I like the 45/70 too. but come on Y'all give it a rest.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Jayco
That is nice looking Ivory.
What did it weigh?

Bob-There was know mention of the Ivory weight and I wouldn't have a clue.

Jayco

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
If you all are going to start this you might as well do it right. On his website a guy got all of the bigsix and about half of them charged.
Then he had to brain shoot them.

Think maybe that many of them charged because the 45/70 didnt smack them hard enough to begin with?

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
If you all are going to start this you might as well do it right. On his website a guy got all of the bigsix and about half of them charged.

Think maybe that many of them charged because the 45/70 didnt smack them hard enough to begin with?

And the location of that website???

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jayocreek:

You were asked a direct question by a poster as to how much the tusks weighed and you said you "didn't have a clue" - but immediately after this preposterous post by someone else about shooting an elephant with a 45-70 you announced calmly - "Facts are facts" supporting the claim that a 45-70 brought down that elephant. That told me something.

The problem is that you and your kind give a wrong impression that can get people killed. That's not being overdramatic. The PH cannot cover all the dangerous situations that can arise in the bush. The "client" may have to defend himself - and most certainly he should have a rifle in his hands firing a cartridge that was invented after smokeless powder came in!

Don't waste your time telling me about the 45-70. I was probably shooting it before you were born. In its black powder days, the 45-90 was considered superior to the 45-70. Does that tell you something about the 45-70? Why do you think that smokeless powder improved the 45-70 today? Didn't US Army Ordnance think about it after smokeless came in when they adopted the 30-40 Krag or the 1903 Springfield? (The cartridge was modified in '06, hence the classical name) In its day, the 45-70 wasn't even remotely thought of in Africa as a game cartridge. I have said it before and will say it again. We need a wooden stake to bury the 45-70! Smiler

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
gerry,
every thing you said could be correct but using the us army 45-70/30-40 argument does not help as they also traded their .308's for a .22!
if i ever got the chance to go to africa to hunt i would spring for a .458 lott but each hunter must decide for themselves what they are "comforable" with and if someone wants to shoot dangerious game with any caliber that is leagle then it is thier butt, also each PH must decide how much they want thier $$ and if they will hunt with a client that is using less gun than they (the PH) likes.

Posts: 14 | Location: tx. | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have what I consider to be rifles using much better cartridges than the .45-70 for DG, BUT...

Using the same comment, that smokeless powder improved the .45-70, I'd like to comment that not only is that true, but in its handloaded form with super-premium bullets, it is no longer really the same cartridge as the late 1800's black powder pumpkin-roller.

As a matter of fact, the .450 3-1/4" case was ALSO a black powder cartridge at the same time. As such, it was ALSO considered by African hunters of the day to be inadequate for DG, just like a black powder 45-70 likely is generally.

But, when Rigby brought out smokeless loadings of the .450 case, it almost instantly was recognized in Africa as what it is...really a different cartridge, quite capable of handling DG under most circumstances if not all.

I am not an advocate or critic of using the 45-70 for DG, but if y'all are gonna argue about it, at least don't use a double-standard.

Seems to me, performance should be the important criterion. And, any large diameter bullet that destroys an elephant's brain by traversing the entire skull, then exiting, must be fairly useable.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
quote:

And the location of that website???

I think it's on Garrett's Website

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Either that, or Mr. Lupo is a fiction writer. Smiler

As for the elephant, a side brain shot on an elephant is quite easy and almost any cartridge will give an exit hole.

A frontal brain shot is a different story, especially if the elephant is holding his head high. The bullet may need to travel through 4 feet of trunk BEFORE it even hits the edge of the skull. Then on a good bull it may need to go through 2 feet of skull before hitting the brain. But that is only if the elephant is directly facing you.

A more challenging shot is a frontal brain where the elephant has his head held high and slightly angled to the side so that the bullet must travel through the tusk socket on its way to the brain. Good luck with that one.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick....your first post almost made me fall of the computer desk chair as I was laughing so hard........actually, in reading this again, I am still laughing... clap rotflmo thumb thumb thumb

Posts: 1668 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to the write up about it.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/reviews2.asp

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote