THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Browing BLR in 450 marlin as a DGR for Africa
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browing BLR in 450 marlin as a DGR for Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
You know the funny thing about all the 45-70 and this Garret ammo. In all of their claims they forget to advertise that their Vince Luppo had THREE PH's covering his backside. That should tell most folks a LOT about just how much confidence he had in that $180 a box 45-70 ammo.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Oh boy is this a topic?I have hurd of this forum and the opinion's on the 45-70 type calibers on African Game on Marlin Talk.Now diseast.

If I could,My opinion-If I was to go to Africa for Dangerous Game,I would take a .416 or better.Can the .450-45-70 kill dangerous game?Yes it can,but in my opinion there are better choices out there.Can a half ton truck with a 300 six cylinder haul my 35 ft Jayco fifthwheel?Yes it can.But a 3/4 ton and a V-8 is a much better choice.Like reloading,There is a margin of error built into every load but the 45-70 is maxed out or close to it.
Test have shown the 45-70 with hardcast can out penetrate a .458 Mag at the Linebaugh seminar.That's great,but if I was to go to Africa I would want a different caliber than the 45-70 with hard cast.
It can do the job but a .416 just sounds and feels better than the old military 45-70 and it's off spring.

Dead is Dead whatever you use.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed but dead aint ALWAYS dead on the ground with four feet in the air! Dead can still be charging. The 45-70 is illigel to my understanding on all but private concessions to begin with. My only adversion to the 45-70 is the cult like following that gets the idea from some of theese scum bag cartridge mongers and writers who like to streeeeetch the truth a bit. We all like a under dog and that is honestly where I feel that the 45-70 sucks people in. The belief that a average Joe with his deer or Black bear rifle can trallop off to hunt DG. Not very realistic. Plains Game yes. DG can be done but that dont make it a smart play. You just might wind up as dead as MT It can be, and has been done with a bow and arrow or a spear so the 45-70 will work. Again I have nothing against the ardent lever gunner just the ill informed, armchair quarterback, magazine reading, propoganda stunt crazed bullet selling netwits

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Chuck-I have to agree.There is a masteek to getting your first big bore lever gun.Mine is a Guide Gun and I have to tell you it brought out some wierd stuff in me.I already had two Mod.94 Winchester's but the big bore got me.My all around gun is the .300 Win Mag.With my old trusty .270 being my wifes gun.There is know comparison for the 45-70 and .300 for hunting Elk in Idaho.
I suppose it's like your son getting a 56 Chev and you remember the old day's.

Most mean well,but there new toy has left them thinking it can do it all.It can but there are better choices.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I love my lever guns to. If I could only keep one gun it would be a lever gun. Ca chink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of this is interesting but there is only one way to answer this question.

If you had to would you, personally, use a 45-70 to shoot 5 of each of the Big Five? Would you do this without a back up and alone? Would you follow up any and all wounded animals with your 45-70? Alone and without backup.

Or would you pick up the 458 Lott or a 470 to do it with?

If you honestly state that the 45-70 is the best choice, or even an adequate choice to risk your life with than I salute you.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote