THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Lever action in 9,3x62 - Is it possible?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lever action in 9,3x62 - Is it possible?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A question from Germany.
We have a lot of wild boars, every year more and more. So there is a lot of drive hunting. One of the most famous calibers for that is 9,3x62. At the moment I use am Mauser 98 wih short barrel in 9,3x62 and a double in 9,3x74R. I am thinking a lever gun could be usefull for hunting boars. Is 9,3x62 possible in a lever gun?

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Certainly ! In the USA Browning lever actions are available in things like 270, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag so they could be made in 9.3x62. ...Of course you might think also of the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 !!! That makes a great pig gun .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mete,

the 45-70 is hard to find in Germany and very unpolular. Very few types of bullets availabel and the gas pressure is limited to 2000 bar.
So the 45-70 doesnt make any sense for me. The 9,3x62 is very populat available with 12 - 15 different bullets and you find it next corner.

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Burkhard,
As mentioned the Browing Lever Rifle (BLR) rifle is of very high quality and available in host of calibers. Perhaps one in .358 Winchester caliber would serve your needs well.
Availability of ammunition may well be a problem, not sure??? Other option would be to customize one for the caliber you mentioned, but would think quite expensive??? Good Luck
driver

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The long action BLR would work, as would an 1895 Winchester. Shouldn't take more than a rebarreling job.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
also the 9.3x62 will do in a rem pump

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester(Miruku) 1895 lever action redone in 9.3x62. Holds 4 down, plus one chambered, 24 inch Kreiger barrel with NECG sights (banded front) and barrel band swivel mount. It was built by Mark Penrod. Truly excellent workmanship. The rifle is VERY slick and accurate. To my mind, the perfect lever action. And better medicine, I think, than Teddy's 405.

If you're thinking of something along these lines, I can highly recommend it!

Posts: 203 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked the Browning international website . It's strange to me that they make the BAR in 9.3x62 but not the BLR ??? No reason why they couldn't ... Too bad the 45-70 isn't popular though you have your 45 Blaser. In the Boar section of the forum you will find 45-70 often recommended for pigs and with the proper bullet such as Winchester Partition even standard loads work well....That redone Win 1895 sounds very nice !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a Browning 1895 in 9,3x62mm set up about the same as akriet's. I had the conversion done at Z-Hat Custom and I love that rifle!

Cheers,

Rich

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akriet:
I have a Winchester(Miruku) 1895 lever action redone in 9.3x62. Holds 4 down, plus one chambered, 24 inch Kreiger barrel with NECG sights (banded front) and barrel band swivel mount. It was built by Mark Penrod. Truly excellent workmanship. The rifle is VERY slick and accurate. To my mind, the perfect lever action. And better medicine, I think, than Teddy's 405.

If you're thinking of something along these lines, I can highly recommend it!

Hey akriet, can you post some nice and detailed pictures of that lovely gun ???

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Afrikaander:

Yep, I'll try to get some photos made and post them.

Posts: 203 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Burkhard:
A question from Germany.
We have a lot of wild boars, every year more and more. So there is a lot of drive hunting. One of the most famous calibers for that is 9,3x62. At the moment I use am Mauser 98 wih short barrel in 9,3x62 and a double in 9,3x74R. I am thinking a lever gun could be usefull for hunting boars. Is 9,3x62 possible in a lever gun?

Burkhard

Check out http://www.z-hat.com/

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
actually the most popular gun to convert in alaska is the winchester 1895

Posts: 1 | Location: ohio | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote