New
Find
Notify
Tools

One More Marlin
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to buy one more Marlin. I now have a .22 brand new, a 44 slightly used, and a 45-70 pre safety that is used but you wouldn't know it. I can't decide what caliber. The curren tread about the 32 special caught my eye and the reply about a 35 remington also caught my attention.
Should I get a .32, or a .35, or a plain vanilla 30-30. I don't have any of those calibers at this time. What do you think??

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Tough choice, but if I were you I would consider an older "waffle-top" Ballard-rifled .32 or .35 from the late 1940s, early 50s. These are usually very accurate and smooth as glass. The .35 Remington with modern Hornady Flex-tip bullets and LeveRevolution powder really has some pep. If I didn't already have a Browning-designed Remington Model 8 in .35, I'd be puppy sick for one.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16646 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
The .30-30 is by far the most boring...

Good luck,

Todd

The truly effective ones usually are.

The almost unversal availability of ammo as well as its inexpensiveness is a huge plus.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Did you know Marlin chambered for the .375 Winchester?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:
I would like to buy one more Marlin. I now have a .22 brand new, a 44 slightly used, and a 45-70 pre safety that is used but you wouldn't know it. I can't decide what caliber. The curren tread about the 32 special caught my eye and the reply about a 35 remington also caught my attention.
Should I get a .32, or a .35, or a plain vanilla 30-30. I don't have any of those calibers at this time. What do you think??

I would buy a .35 Remington. Just because they (Marlington) have dropped it from production. I handload so factory ammo is not a concern. I don't like the .32, never have, very limited bullet selection and cases hard to find. The 30-30 is fine and is the best choice if you do not handload. Ammo is inexpensive!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone should have a 30-30.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
Everyone should have a 30-30.

I have to agree. I have half a dozen, four lever guns and two bolt actions.

The .375 Win is nice, have a 94 Big Bore in that one. And I like the .35 Rem. I see no real need for the .32 Spl other than to say you have one. the loads are identical to the .30-30 and no where as convenient. That doesn't mean I haven't been tempted. If I found one at the right price......

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Wallacem
posted Hide Post
I think the 35 is a must own, especially if you reload. I use .357 mag pistol bullets, 158 gr., makes for cheap, good shooting. The 32 spl is also good, if you reload. You can use 30-30 cases, very cheap. The 30-30 is the old "stand by". Everyone should have at least one. My suggestion, own all three along with several more. Great investment. Wallacem in Ga.

Posts: 4 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned a .38-55 Marlin. Perhaps in an 1893.

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a 30-30 because ammo is readily available and inexpensive. Consider getting one in stainless (336SS or 336M), a Texan, a TK (straight stock made for Kmart), a waffle top, or in whatever configuration you find a nice one at a reasonable price.

steve nelson

Posts: 148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking shooter! those are not easy to find!

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I currently have Marlins in ..25-20, 30-30, 32 Special, .338 Exp, .35 Rem., .375 Win, .444, and .45-70. I may have left out one or two because I didn't look in the vault to jog my memory before writing this.

If I had to sell all but one, I'd keep the .30-30. It is by far the most boring, and certainly not my favorite, but it is head and shoulders over the rest for ultimate practicality.

Ammo is everywhere and so are components. There are a ton of CB moulds and loading info out there if the need ever arises. It will kill everything up to and including two and four legged moose if used with any skill. It is plenty accurate for hunting and the recoil is light enough the wife or kids can use it without suffering from a recoil-induced flinch. And I'm sure there are more good reasons I haven't mentioned.

Luckily Biden hasn't yet forced me to make that choice, but if he does, that's what I'll keep.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have a 35 Rem. If I was thinking of another one I would look at a 308 or 338 Express or 45-70.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted Hide Post
Big fan of the Marlin 1894S in 44 magnum. Holds ten rounds, same caliber as the sidearm. Mostly a practical "truck gun" for me.

==================================================================
A. Hamilton "The Federalist, No. 29, 'Concerning the Militia'"

[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.

Posts: 130 | Location: Tombouctou, Mali  | Registered: 11 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone here have an older "square bolt" 1895 Marlin in .45-70?

If so, I would be interested to know what one weighs that has a 26" barrel on it. Love to seem some pictures and any discussion of what they are worth and their pluses and minuses.

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would definately get a 30/30.

You can get ammo most anywhere, and the Hornady Lever Evolution 30/30 ammo kills deer, pigs, and coyotes most ricky tic.
And it is very accurate.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It is a Winchester Model 94, not a Marlin, but I really like my .38-55. Factory loads are pretty anemic, but handloads with correct diameter bullets make it a whole different proposition.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm leaning toward a 30-30 unless I find something unusual first. I also like the idea of a Stainless model if I can find one used like I found the 44 mag. It would be real neat to get it for the same price but very unlikely. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I want one in a 35 remington but have not found the right one yet.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a 30-30, 32W, 35R, 375 W and the one that I like most is my 219 Zipper. When they brought out the flat nose bullets for the 218 version, I stocked up so I can load it full instead of it being a 2 shot gun. Great for calling coyotes with that short stiff microgroove barrel and a 2-7 on top.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I wish for a 356 Winchester so I guess the 35 Rem would be a good second. Load pistol bullets or bulk 200 gr Remington bullets from Midway. Also who desn't have a 357 mould at home?

One of Us
Picture of Nanook 450
posted Hide Post

Sold and gave away my 30-30s when I got used to this 35 Rem Marlin XLR.

Also love the Marlin 1894P 44 mag with the scout set-up.

Posts: 247 | Location: Norman, OK & Marble Falls, TX | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice picture Brent. My wifes horse would have knock the rifle off.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 356 win was chambered in the Marlin 336 ER. It's a rimmed 358 Win. Brass can be hard to come by, but it can be easily made from 444 Marlin cases.

Can't imagine a lever action guy not owning a 30-30.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .30/30 gets my vote over the .32.... although I'm still sorely tempted to get one from time to time. My dad had one when I was a young kid- an octagon barreled M1894 rifle in mint shape. For some reason he hated to use it, and ultimately traded it straight across for one of them long-framed Briggs and Straton powered Tote Goat things that were all the rage in the early 1960's. That cluttered up the shop until he finally hauled it to the dump a couple of years later. Sometimes I just catch a break!

The .30/30 is a much more versatile cartrige for the sort of shooting I do, and really comes into it's own using the Speer 130 FP at 2500-2600 FPS. Works great on the 120 pound N. California Blacktails.

Porosonik.

Vetting voters= racist. Vetting gun buyers= not racist. Got it?

Posts: 407 | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I gave up my 35 Rem in 336 Marlin for a 358 blr. But The 35 Rem is a sweet little rifle. I wish I would have kept it. Love shooting those 200 gn hornady Rns and it is a good cast bullet caliber.

I have also considered getting a 30-30 and Ackleyizing it. That is one of the few cartridges that gets significant gains and it would extend brass life. Still boring ballistics by todays standards, but pretty good for a .30 in a classic lever. Probably best to do that one in a little bolt rifle though.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a used Marlin 30-30 with the straight grip and hardwood stock, in "Fair Condition" on the net. Real good price. I should get it some time next week. It has an inexpensive scope on it. I can't wait. I have a plain piece of Walnut that I can re-stock it with if I don't like the hardwood. I'll report back when it arrives. DW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:

I would buy a .35 Remington. Just because they (Marlington) have dropped it from production. I handload so factory ammo is not a concern. I don't like the .32, never have, very limited bullet selection and cases hard to find. The 30-30 is fine and is the best choice if you do not handload. Ammo is inexpensive!

Where did you get the info that they are not making a 336 in 35 Rem.????

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marlinowners web site. Here is the thread.
http://www.marlinowners.com/fo...ontinued-35-rem.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Marlinowners web site. Here is the thread.
http://www.marlinowners.com/fo...ontinued-35-rem.html

Read the whole thread.Turns out to be bogus.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westrmhunter, I have also thought about the 30-30 AI. How would that work? The barrel would have to be set back. Would it put the mounting for the magazine out of whack? I don't have the rifle to look at. The more I think about it the better it sounds. PO Ackley said the 30-30 AI was the most rewarding improved cartridge he ever made.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Superior Firearms custom lever gun conversions for some great Marlin work. I have three from Joe, a 30-30, 444 and 35 Rem. He really does nice work.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's here. It looks to be in real good shape, not shot much. Looks like it spent some time riding around in a truck or on a horse. Blueing wear is slight though. To those of you in the know I have heard that the JM barrel is more desireable. Are there quality problems with the Marlington barrels? This gun looks good. Good fit and finish, The blueing is not polished nor is the action. It looks to be about a 320 grit scratch pattern.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The 30-30 got a lot more interesting when the 100, 130 and 145 grain Raptor bullets came along.
Break 3,000 FPS with grandpas ol' 30-30.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27610 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just so you guys know...... Remington purchased marlin in 2008.... the nick name is Remlins for their rifles, not Marlington.....LOL

But I guess you can call them what ever you like. All I know is that the prices on original Marlins, ML marked on left side of barrel is climbing every month it seems. And even more for the pre-safety cross bolt.

JCP..

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are thinking of a 30-30 look for one of the Texans it has straight stock and squared lever. Also half mag. Neat gun.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .35 Rem. is a great round, IMO its highly under-rated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember.... YES the 35 Remington is a GREAT round. But, But, ammo is IMPOSSIBLE to get. I have a beautiful .35 Marlin pre cross bolt safety. I decided I was going to take her on a SC pig hunt.

I just spent two hours checking EVERY ammo warehouse across the USA on the NET. None, Nada, I mean NOTHING available in .35 Remington, not Hornady, Federal, Remington or Winchester. I had to check at least 50 different store and wholesalers..

If any body has some for sale, I am in the market for at least 5 boxes.

Regards Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAHunter:
Just so you guys know...... Remington purchased marlin in 2008.... the nick name is Remlins for their rifles, not Marlington.....LOL

But I guess you can call them what ever you like. All I know is that the prices on original Marlins, ML marked on left side of barrel is climbing every month it seems. And even more for the pre-safety cross bolt.

JCP..

Actually, derogatory names range from Remlin and Marlington to my own special creation Lemonington!! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, Don't believe everything you read on the inter web about the newer Remlins. I have a 336BL in 30-30 and the fit and finish is very good. Front sight is on straight, stock is inletted properly and it shoots the 160gr lever evolution load really well. I really like this little carbine with its 18-1/2" barrel, big loop, and laminated stock its a pleasure to carry in the woods. Last year i shot a 8 point whitetail buck that was probable around170lbs on the hoof. He was around 40yds away, quartering towards me slightly, i hit him on the point of his shoulder the bullet would have exited mid rib cage. That 160gr Hornady flex wrecked him, he only went about 25yds. I recovered the core right under the skin and i weighed 100grs, after going through some tough muscle.

I also have a M375 without the safety so i have a good basis for comparison. The 375 is much smoother but when the adrenaline is flowing i never noticed that with the 336BL.