New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back to the 30-30
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been wanting to get back to Deer hunting the old fashioned way...stalking with a 30-30. I like the long-barreled rifles, and just bought this rifle for the season. It's a limited edition Winchester 94. Should be fun!

Posts: 20124 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
just bought this rifle for the season.

I wish I was in the rich boy league to buy a rifle "for the season." The occupy crowd will begin protesting you--the upper one percent!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, it was $790....not $20K like one of your old 2-pipers :-)

Posts: 20124 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Now you need to drill and tap it for a 4-16 power scope with built in range finder. That's what most guys want me to do with their lever actions.

Posts: 17166 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now you need to drill and tap it for a 4-16 power scope with built in range finder.

Not this one. Lyman receiver sight and I'm ready to hunt :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started hunting deer with iron sighted 336s and 99s. Still have the rifles, just wish I still had the eyesight to hunt with them.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dad bought me a Marlin 336 for my 16th birthday. It was my first gun. I've had it for almost 30 years and still haven't killed a deer with it. Big Grin

Nice looking gun, good luck this season.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
now all you need is to have somebody convert it to belt fed

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Already got one of them :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on that Biebs..I rediscovered hunting about 15 years ago..I started using the old guns and hunting like I did when I was a kid on the ranch.. I now hunt almost every year with one of my Win. 94 SRC's, I have three, two in 30-30 and one in 25-35. mostly I use my old 25-35 Win. carbine..I still like to loaf around under the rimrocks taking my time, and hoping for a close jump shot, or perhaps tossing rocks off the rim hoping to push out a monster Muley.

Slipping thru the Texas brush where evey limb, bush, and tree has teeth tearing at your clothes, cussing the hot weather, and sweating like a pig looking for one of those elusive and big Texas Whitetail, and it beats sitting in a blind anyday..Last year my timeing was the best, it got colder n hell and this old Idaho boy was in his cups for sure, the deer were out and plentiful. Wonderful hunt. Had my 25-35 and my 250-3000 Savage. Your right there is more to hunting than shooting a deer, even a 30 inch buck. Its the memories of the hunt that count.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41950 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 30-30 had to have a scope. I'm practicing but still not quite comfortable enough with a peep sight to use it on game. It wears a vari x II in 1 x 4 power. I mostly use it on 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 power. It makes a very quick sight picture. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm of "scope age" too, but want to hunt traditional with this one.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Biebs, they are very nice little rifles, made in USA, and some of the best of the last Winchester 94s, even though it is a couple of decades old. I had one but sold it because the only way I could mount a peep sight on it would have been on the receiver side and would have covered and marred the engraving. Reflecting back, I should have done it anyway. A good 94 with a peep sight is surprisingly accurate, especially with a 26" barrel.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the ranges incurred in woods stalking, it'll have more then enough range with iron sights. The engraving definitely comes 2nd in priority :-)

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Who says age doesn't bring wisdom ? Even to late bloomers. Looks like a grand idea to me as well.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4201 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil, I may be ,mistaken, buy I think that was a "shot". :-)

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Jon, why would you think that ? Just because you made a good decision ?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4201 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I need one of Doug's 1886 475 Turnbulls to come up for a big Coastal Brownie :-)

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
We will sell the same rifle, for 750Euro.... Cool

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will have a lot of fun hunting that way. 15+ years ago I had the same idea and bought a Model 71 standard rifle in very nice shape...I killed a deer every time I went to the woods with that rifle...although I wasn't too picky and it was in the years of excess antlerless permits. Did make a dandy shot on a buck hauling through the hardwoods broadside that I'll never forget though.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jon, your rifle is a doozy. If Pacific Tool will ever finish my reamer, I'll have a waffle-top Marlin in similar configuration, chambered to Francis Sell's .25-35 Tomcat, and a Lyman or Marble's peep on the rear end.
A guy just plain feels good in the woods with an iron-sighted lever gun.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16507 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A guy just plain feels good in the woods with an iron-sighted lever gun.

Yes, it brings back the joy of the hunt, without any concern for a "trophy". Woods hunting on a drizzly day is a special kind of peace :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm of scope only age, but with a fiber optic front and a Williams "fool proof" rear I am fairly deadly at woods hunting range.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
What? Wait.

When did Blaser acquire Winchester?

Big Grin

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What? Wait.

When did Blaser acquire Winchester?

I have strayed from the flock :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Everywhere I go an old Win. 94 SRC in 30-30 or 25-35 rides in my trucks floorboard, no blue, solid old custom drift wood stocks! Wink but they both shoot under 2 inches at 100 with irons and my granddads old 30-30 will shoot an inch for 3 shots day in and day out, won a lot of turkeys and nay sayers money with that old smoke pole..

Never believe that written BS that a Win 94 wont shoot, those that say nay just shot the wrong one, find one that will and keep it. Doubters bring your money and lets gamble! beer

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41950 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
Now you need to drill and tap it for a 4-16 power scope with built in range finder.

Not this one. Lyman receiver sight and I'm ready to hunt :-)

Try and find an older all steel Lyman or Redfield.They are head and shoulders better than the aluminum ones.OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Copy that...thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice, Biebs! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I've added a few since I posted this...a Browning 1886, a Marlin Cowboy 45-70, and a Browning Model 71 High Grade Carbine. They're addicting :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Thanks! I've added a few since I posted this...a Browning 1886, a Marlin Cowboy 45-70, and a Browning Model 71 High Grade Carbine. They're addicting :-)

Yes they are. I been on the look out for a good deal on a 1895 in 30-06 and a Marlin 1895 in 44 mag or 45 Colt.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is one virtue that has only been touched that I would like to expand on concerning using a 30-30 or similar lever gun. There is something about the lack of weight, the balance carrying with no sling used, just the "feel" in the hand that makes you feel good. I took the little scope off my Marlin 44 mag, it has a Skinner rear sight on i tnow and it just feels good to carry.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, nice to hunt with an open-sighted rifle...increases the challenge and puts more "hunt" in the hunting :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear bifocals and have no problem with irons, grew up shooting irons..Jack Belk has a 12 inch white rock at a measured 400 yards from his entrance way to his front room..I stop get out and shoot at that rock off hand every time I visit him..I hear him yell "quit busting my rock" shocker

He is my witness!! Some say it can't be done but we both hit almost every time and if we miss its close enough for guvment work! Some folks just read more than they shoot I fear.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Biebs

I have taken 2 deer with an iron sighted Winchester Mod 94 Trapper in 30/30.

Also I have taken several deer and several pigs as well as a few turkeys and 3 coyotes with my HEYM 26B O/U, in 30/30. This has become one of my most favorite hunting rifles. Out to 200 yards or so I have found that the 30/30 kills them as good as anything.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, easy to shoot, cheap and available ammunition, and enough for most stuff we hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm part of a new trend. Cool For the past few years I've been carrying one of my .30-30's or my .45-70 Eeker for deer and black bear. Interesting how I tend to look at things differently. Instead of concentrating on what's far away to find a place to watch, I tend to move slower and pick apart my surroundings looking for a close shot. I'm also a longtime bow hunter so it feels much the same.

To shamelessly borrow someone elses line perhaps it should also be:

“Anyone who claims the 30-06 .30-30 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship”

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2800 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are your thoughts on a lead, 250 gr FN bullet at about 1500 fps for moose out to 100 yds?

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brent, it's about half as good as a 500gr hard-cast FP at 1,950 fps :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or a 550gr Garrett Hammerhead at 1,150!