New
Find
Notify
Tools

What To BuY???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want a lever action rifle for deer or pig or bear. I will be hunting heavy brush. I need something that handles quickly. Most shots will be aprox 50 yards with a rare 100 yard shot. I was looking at the Marlin guide rilfe in 45-70 or 450 marlin. I enjoy shooting large bore rifles. Or am I better off with a 20" or a 22" rifle, in a 44 mag. The 18 1/2" guide rifle seems to feel good and balances well. If I put a scope on it will be a 1-5-5 Leupold.
Any ideas?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the stainless guide is what i have...

the leupold 2.5x fixed scout scope is the "reccomended" one...although i like the aimpoint 2moa and obviously have the scope or aimpoint backed up with the xs peep sight...

do a search on the aimpoint and marlin and you will find a good thread on this subject...

use the aimpoint for other rifles or hunting handguns

the other great option is the new scout 94 take down by winchester...450 marlin...already has the peep sight, good recoil pad, scope mount and is a take down to boot! you would spent $2000 to immitate this in a marlin!!!

keep us posted on your decision...

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marlin 45/70 in what ever flavour............................I have a 22"pistol grip version and really like it, my friends both also have this rig and they shoot well and hit very hard.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For your purposes I second the nomination of the Guide Gun in 45/70. Start with a set of XS irons. If you need a scope then the XS scout mount and Leupold scout scope get the nod. I like the scout scope arrangement as the scope does not hang over the action which creates the need for a hammer extension. If the trigger needs any help at all install the Wild West Gunsmithing trigger kit. While the gun is apart you may as well install their aftermarket ejector as well. My Mjolnir likes the Winchester 300 grain Partition. It's more bullet than a fella needs for deer but ought to be the bee's knees for big pigs and black bear. All that said at 50 yards a similarly set up 1894 in 44 magnum will certainly bring home the venison, bacon, or bear grease too. Have fun shopping.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I really like my Guide Gun in 45-70, and have hunted with it. Mine is fitted with a Leupold 1.75 x 6. I tried the scout system and could not get used to it. I found that in dim light the eye relief did not allow enough brightness. At least that was my experience.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have for sale a nice Marlin G-gun,45-70, not ported for sale and I can send you pictures but I need your direct email address.

belt-loopatcoxdotnet

In subject line write: 45-70

Posts: 1820 | Location: USA, Omaha, Nebr | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning BLR in .358win or in .450Marlin would make a great choice. The new light-weight 81' in .358win weighs 6-1/2lbs sans scope, it can use spitzer bullets, is short, true side ejection, 60 degree lever throw, detachable box mag, an absolutely ingenius safety (folding hammer), one in 12" twist rate, it is a powerful combination.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another suggestion for a scope would be Leupold's new Ultra-light 2.5X fixed power. Its short, light, and well a Leupold, and using your average distance of 50yds should provide more than enough magnification.I believe they go for around 270 dollars.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote