THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Your favorite 45-70 black bear load?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your favorite 45-70 black bear load?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Two tone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla:
As usual, your reply is mindless. A bullet that expands out to 0.9" makes much larger temporary and permanent channel than a .459" wide-meplat hardcast.

DLA,

You're making some assumptions here that are just wrong.

Also, it's just arrogant to say that you don't need an exit wound. No matter what the animal was hit 'zapped' with, the day will come where it will be necessary to track it. A bleeding exit wound makes that much more likely to be successful.

Reading the Instructions - a sure sign of weakness and uncertainty.

Posts: 147 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I can understand how you want an exit wound. When you shoot an Elk in the butt, and have to track it 5 miles, I guess that exit wound will help.

But I dont take those kind of shots.

And I'm not making wrong assumptions. In fact, I probably summarized the utility of a wide-meplat hardcast perfectly. Sorry if you have faith otherwise. I didn't mean to diss your faith. I realize that many members of the 1st church of holy hardcast are very sensitive.

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Faith has nothing to do with it. I have found the science that supports it. You choose not to look for it so your preconceived notions won't be disturbed. You have not summarized the utility of a wide-meplat hardcast even accurately much less perfectly. Your problem is the 1st church of the impotent, inane dla, not my adherence to the Church of the Northern Pike, which has no scripture regarding hardcast bullets. fishing

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:
Faith has nothing to do with it. I have found the science that supports it. You choose not to look for it so your preconceived notions won't be disturbed. You have not summarized the utility of a wide-meplat hardcast even accurately much less perfectly. Your problem is the 1st church of the impotent, inane dla, not my adherence to the Church of the Northern Pike, which has no scripture regrading hardcast bullets. fishing

Do you have some gelatin tests proving that the wounding mechanism of wide-meplat hardcast is superior to an expanding bullet? If so, I'll listen. If not, then.......

posted Hide Post
I'll add my anecdotal evidence. While the sample isn't as large as some it is actual in the field observations. Your mileage may vary.

A 425gr Beartooth Pile Driver Jr jogging along at ~1400 fps will penetrate North to South (actually NW to SE) on a 250 pound Idaho Black Bear. The wound channel is straight through and is larger than .459". Its effect on the bear - Devastating! literally flipping the bear. He expired before leaving the scene.

Another member of the party took a bear with the same load. The results were similar.

Most of my hunting has been done with skinny bullets. After witnessing the effectiveness of big slow bullets I became a convert. Two holes, lots of blood, trailing is rarely required and if it is, it's a short easy to follow trail. Finishing shot has not been required and you can "eat right up to the hole."

Never seen an Elk too thick to stop a big slow bullet either. Even at blackpowder speeds a 400+ grain plows right through. I did witness and Elk absorb a 300 win mag as and stand there as if it wasn't even hit. It seemed like an eternity before it collapsed even though it was a good lungs hit.

Posts: 21 | Location: The mossy side of the Cascades | Registered: 10 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dla--I frankly think you are at best a wannabe, but you are more likely just a wannabe troll with limited or no personal experience in these matters.

For what it is worth, a good 45-70 loaded with cast bullets and black powder will reach and kill animals at distances your 270 can't approach. It does it by SHOOTING ALL THE WAY THROUGH them with a 520 grain bullet. That is an ENTRANCE AND EXIT HOLE.

You don't have any real idea of how these things work. Millions of bison were killed with big 45 caliber rifles and lead bullets, most of them at distances between 300 and 400 yards with IRON SIGHTS. Expanding bullets or not, your 270 simply doesn't have this kind of horsepower.

The 45-70 worked then, and it works now. So does the 45-110, and I have it on dvd in Africa to back it up.

What do you have?

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have some gelatin tests proving that the wounding mechanism of wide-meplat hardcast is superior to an expanding bullet? If so, I'll listen. If not, then.......
There you go again changing what someone actually said. I never said the wounding mechanism of a wide meplat hardcast is superior to an expanding bullet. I demonstrated that they are adequate to produce quick, clean kills and have an advantage where penetration after encountering heavy muscle and bone is required. Then you turn those kinds of assertions into shooting something in the ass, when they actually refer more likely to front quartering shots or anchoring shots through the shoulders. YOU are the one that said the inane remark that wide meplat hardcast bullets are little better than an arrow at creating a wound channel. I'm not going to waste my time showing you everything you need to realize you don't have enough information to make an informed decision. Again. I expended the resources to find the information, you can do the same on your own dime.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

For what it is worth,

Not much.

I hate to tell you this, but Bison are cattle. They stand there and let you shoot them. Then they fall over.

But just to help you out a bit, the issue at hand is whether the wounding mechanism of a wide-meplat hardcast bullet is superior to an expanding bullet. There are pro's and con's, and if we examine them with an open mind, we might just learn something.

By the way, I've sent a couple thousand cast and jacketed bullets downrange from my 45-70.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:
quote:
There you go again changing what someone actually said. I never said the wounding mechanism of a wide meplat hardcast is superior to an expanding bullet. I demonstrated that they are adequate to produce quick, clean kills and have an advantage where penetration after encountering heavy muscle and bone is required. Then you turn those kinds of assertions into shooting something in the ass, when they actually refer more likely to front quartering shots or anchoring shots through the shoulders. YOU are the one that said the inane remark that wide meplat hardcast bullets are little better than an arrow at creating a wound channel. I'm not going to waste my time showing you everything you need to realize you don't have enough information to make an informed decision. Again. I expended the resources to find the information, you can do the same on your own dime.

Aside from your normal snippiness, good post.

From my earlier post - "What you get with wide-meplat hardcast is better than solid bullet wound-channel with better than expanding bullet penetration." And I believe that is accurate.

Hard-cast is a good way to extend the usefullness of a cartridge otherwise marginal for the task.

The 45-70 is not the least bit marginal for Elk. Wide-meplat hardcast is less effective than an expanding bullet in that application.

The wide-meplat hardcast is probably the only adequate 45-70 solution for cape buffalo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ohhhhhhhh PLEASE don't tell me we're going after Cape Buffalo with a 45-70 ! ! !

One of Us
Picture of NHbwana
posted Hide Post
Jeez guys its a black bear. Me my Dad and My brother have shot a combined 30 of them. I've shot 9 with a 30-30. Whatever winchester loads in the 170grn load works. They fall down dead easy enough. No harder to kill than a Whitetail deer. Penetration smenetration. My brother layed out one with a 124grain Gold dot +p out of his glock for gods sakes. Put it into the chest, thing fell over dead right there. It's a blackie, not a tank. They don't sell a 45-70 load that won't do the job if you put the bullet where it's supposed to go.
My prefered shot is about 30 yards quartering towards. Bust him in the near shoulder and watch him fall. I've used the win and federal 170grn load, even tried the TBBC load federal had. Didn't notice a touch of difference. So I went back to the cheaper load. Same load I have shot 2 moose with, about 15 white tails, 9 blackies, dozens of coyotes with.

My favorite load would be what hits to POA in my rifle. Other than that forget it. Its only a blackie. Weight, hp vs.non hp, velocity blah. They will all work fine, just hit em where it counts. And most of all good luck with your hunt.

NHbwana

Posts: 40 | Location: NH..and abroad | Registered: 17 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whit Spurzon:
I'll add my anecdotal evidence. While the sample isn't as large as some it is actual in the field observations. Your mileage may vary.

A 425gr Beartooth Pile Driver Jr jogging along at ~1400 fps will penetrate North to South (actually NW to SE) on a 250 pound Idaho Black Bear. The wound channel is straight through and is larger than .459". Its effect on the bear - Devastating! literally flipping the bear. He expired before leaving the scene.

Another member of the party took a bear with the same load. The results were similar.

Most of my hunting has been done with skinny bullets. After witnessing the effectiveness of big slow bullets I became a convert. Two holes, lots of blood, trailing is rarely required and if it is, it's a short easy to follow trail. Finishing shot has not been required and you can "eat right up to the hole."

Never seen an Elk too thick to stop a big slow bullet either. Even at blackpowder speeds a 400+ grain plows right through. I did witness and Elk absorb a 300 win mag as and stand there as if it wasn't even hit. It seemed like an eternity before it collapsed even though it was a good lungs hit.

Only 1400FPS???....how can that be Whit? Roll Eyes...Most all these interweb experts say you have to firewall your 45-70 to the max...For a 400gr boolit to be worth a dam it's got to be loaded to at least 1950FPS or more,right??? rotflmo
Great post Whit!..... Wink
popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DWright:
Sounds like someones been brainwashed. A heavy hardcast LBT style cast bullet will out penetrate a 300 grain Nosler by about twice! Try it sometime, I have. Too many armchair theorists read something somewhere, and it becomes gospel. Don't mean to be rude, but I had my own cast bullet company for several years. I've tested .45-70 bullets in particular for about 30 years; killed about 450 head of big game animals, seen a lot more shot, and have a damn good idea what will do what. Any magazine claiming a 300 grain, .45 caliber jacketed bullet of any kind, will out penetrating a heavier, flat nosed, hardcast is not worth the fire starter it was printed on, and the writer that said such should be fired! Cuz it ain't so. As well, the Speer 400 grain FP is a very soft bullet that is designed for use on Deer sized animals. They shoot great, but I have had several fail to penetrate through many small Deer on quartering shots. I would not use one on a large animal such as Elk. My favorite bullet to date, is a plain base, 475 grain, wide flat nose from a custom mould. At exactly 1,548 fps, it seems to hit harder on impact than anything I have seen so far. The younger shooters of today have a tendency towards lighter faster bullets in any given caliber, and some calibers work well with them. The .45-70 is not one of them, and infact suffers to much for my tastes with ANY bullet under about 400 grains. And yes I know lighter bullets will kill game when all is right; hell, I killed a damn horse with a .22 CB cap! But I want a bullet that will get to the vitals when all is wrong! stir

Amen about the 400gr Speer!

I had a load of H-4895 pushing that bullet at ~1900 fps MV. I hammered a nice black bear with it 3 times and I could not recover anything more then "crumbs" from those 3 bullets. The jacket was turned inside out and they had absolutely disentegrated!

I admit it is my own fault for not understanding the type of velocity that they are designed for. I suppose those bullets would be okay at lower velocity or on deer size game, but I will not use them again. Period.

I have replaced them with 400gr Hawks with the .050jacket and reduced the MV to ~ 1650 fps. I have yet to hit a bear with them so I cannot say whether or not the Hawks are the answer.

I have not tried hard cast bullets personally so I cannot comment on them.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
D.B.,

I thought I recognised those areas you hunt. Me too.

coffee

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote