New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint on a Guide rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, it is time for this old dog to try something new. I am going to skip scoping my Guide rifle and try an Aimpoint on the XS scout mount. The Aimpoint I want comes with either a 2moa or 4moa red dot. Which one is best for hunting? What is the best online source to order from?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../404108343#404108343

check this out thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe that there is a better "fast engagement"
gunsight than a "scout mounted" aimpoint.

I have a Remington 870Express with one of the early
Hastings Rifled barrels, this predates the now ubiquitous
"Cantilever" mounting, so with a choice between an aimpoint whith which I could see the reticle under ANY lighting conditions or a crosshair on a scout scope that I might or might not see it was an easy choice.

Of course at the time the Aimpoint scope that was available
was their 2000 model.
The NEAT thing about the Aimpoint 2000 model is that
though it came with an "adapter" to allow the use of a pair of A76 Cells (or a single 276 camera battery)
it would also accept a 2/3A lithium battery

a 2/3A lithium battery in an illuminated sight
is like using a car battery to power a wrist watch

The original FIFTEEN YEAR OLD battery still worked last year when I replaced it on general principle...

This shotgun was built to hunt Deer in NJ, distances are short shooting chances appear and disappear in the blink of an eye and you need every edge you can contrive to create.

The second day at the range with it I was "bouncing" bowling pins at 75yards, one shot to kick it into the air
and the second shot striking the pin in mid-air.
I figuired at that point a deer would be an Easy target...

I figuired correctly.

What I didn't figuire on was my first shot at a buck being at the other end of a cut cornfield 185yards out...

For that shot (I did connect) I'd have rather had magnification, but I never saw another deer that far away the entire time I lived in NJ.

To sum up if you are building up your guide gun for fast moving, close encounters with things you want to kill
you can hardly go wrong with an aimpoint

If you are worried about battery life carry freshly purchased spare batteries and put one in the morning of your hunt.

Replace them as paranoia dictates.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had of had the cash I would have gotton an aim point on my 50-110 but the leupold scout scope is a lot cheaper but a very tough unit and you can still shoot with both eyes opened and fast...........................though I figure the aim point to be ven faster I suppose.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote