THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Need saddle gun suggestions.......
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need saddle gun suggestions.......
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've read a number of posts about the 45/70 and other leverguns.....good info! BUT, I would ask ya'lls suggestions as to a colorado elk saddlegun. I'm not one to get the opportunity for an african hunt, so a hefty bull elk and/or spooked bear/mountain lion is about as nasty as I'll ever see. Is the 45/70 with the 405gr woodleighs sound enough for that duty? My main gun is a Rem 700 heavy in 300WinMag, and I carry my 45LC Ruger shorty with 300gr Hornady's for in-close protection, but I'd really like a nice saddlegun for mid-range shoots. I'd carry my semi-auto 1187 Police 12ga with slugs, but she's a bit lengthy and hefty to easily whip out of a saddle holster IMO......LOL! Thanks!

Posts: 53 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 17 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a .444 Marlin ,I have one and like it for heave brush up to 200 yards .

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not a lever gun, but a Ruger No. 1 packs real nice in a scabbard. I have one in 30-06 and a 20 inch barrel that has been packed lots, after everything from coyotes to elk.

Posts: 18 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the owner of buffalo bore tim sundles uses a 45-70 as his saddlegun...that says a lot to me. the one i would use...probably my guide gun in that cal but maybe the new longer barrel stainless will be better. i would wait for the stainless to come out this year in 22" unless you like the short carbine like me thumb good luck to you

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I quite like my Marlin Guide Gun (and I suppose it would be very handy from a saddle scabbard) but if I had it to do over again I think I'd try the 1895 Cowboy though I might be tempted to shorten the barrel and magazine tube to 20 inches or so (whatever length would let it be a six-shooter). Good hunting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Browning lever action is available in several interesting calibers, including .358, 30-06, .300 Win.Mag., & .450 Marlin.

Posts: 42 | Location: MA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forget Woodleighs in the 45-70 - what a waste of money.

You need to borrow a guide gun and shoot it a bit. Then you'll know if the 45-70 is a good gun for you.

Lots of guys own 45-70s, but few hunt with them.

The guide gun is the best packing rifle I own. It is all I hunt with anymore. If I were into horseys, it would be my saddle gun.

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a BLR rebarreled to 9.3x 62. Can be used with or without a scope, will kill anything in North America and has a 200 plus yard range.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
I would get the Winchester Model 94 "Trapper" carbine in .30-30 WCF.

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marlin 336 in .356 Win, 2.5X scope, reloads appropriate for the game will do it all inside 250 yds. Of course, so will a .30-06 in a nice single shot....OR....how about a nice Contender 20" carbine in .30-40 Krag with a 4x that all weighs under 6 lbs? SWEET!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really want to unlimber one off the back of a horse then don't go with anything longer than a 20" barrel. Winchester had that figured out about 100 years ago, or the cavalry with the Springfield carbine. Any longer and your leg gets in the way swinging on or off the saddle. Mount a long gun butt forward and it can annoy the hell out of the horse. Most don't like things bouncing around their head. The Marlin Guide Gun is one hell of a powerhouse. Then there are the 94 carbines, the Model 71 short rifles, either Winchester or Browning, and there are a few 86 carbines around as well. I carry a Browning 71 in .348 and it will level anything with fur on it in North America.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
I would not put a scope on a saddle gun. You lose too much of the fast handling qualities by doing so.

Iron sights work fine.

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
Savage 99 in .358Win.

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Great suggestions, folks...THANKS! Yes, for me, I'd like to use only iron sights and a very 'short' lever action, although the No.1 has always had a place in my heart.

Posts: 53 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 17 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
winchester is comming out with a timberscout takedown in 450 marlin...this is going to catch on like wildfire...scabbard gun, briefcase or backpack gun! kudos to them!!!

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of "JB"
posted Hide Post
I think a saddel rifle from 30-30, .35 Rem, 38-55, .348 Win, .356 Win .358 Win, .375 Win BB 94, .405 Win, .444 Marlin, 45-70 Govt and last but not least .450 Marlin WILL work quite well, some better than others depending on range of use. I think any of these would serve very well, as I have spent many a mile in the Bob Marshall Wilderness on horseback.

Right now I own a very nice Marlin 336 in .35 Remington, and am looking to either get a .358 Win or a 45-70 1895 GG in Stainless since I already reload for the 45-70

For horseback I agree a good saddle rifle shouldn't be any longer than 20" on the barrel which gives it a total OAL of 38 1/8" IF you can find one of the above calibers in a Guide Gun length with 18.5" all the better. But for some of the calibers listed above only the Browning BLR, Winchester 1895 models will fill the bill.

Now if your horse is not so used to having a rifle fired off its back side, remember they will allow you to do this at least once animal For those that know what I am talking about have earned their wings.

"JB"

Posts: 31 | Location: NW Montana in grizzly country | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL! Actually, the mountain horse I had for nine years in CA was desensitized for my .44mag lever by simply nearing the horse while practicing. Now, getting a mule to be so cooperative............?

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. I would hesitate to shoot from the saddle.....but the rifle and caliber is fine.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use M71 Wincherster.

short and fat and hard to get at, hit like a hammer and never been hit back.

Posts: 251 | Location: Just north of Salingrad. | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sixgun,

Scope depends on your eyes. I'd agree for 125 yds or so, but beyond that, I believe a scope is appropriate at the expense of a little "handiness".....JMHO

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning BLR in .358 Win., 2.5X Leupold compact scope, stiff handload with 225 gr. Nosler Partition. Be good for anything up to and including "Brer Griz" should that be necessary.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

she's a beaute!

450 marlin...needs to be converted to 50 alaskan Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a lever gun but another option.

Mohawk

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel for the poor horse toting all of that iron! :>}
BJB

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
My suggestions are that since you are talking about elk out to 200-yards, and I assume heavy timber, go with one of the Browning remakes of the Model 71 carbine in .348 Winchester for tradition, or the Browning BLR or Savage 99 in .358 with 22-inch barrel for a modern gun.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3839 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla:
Forget Woodleighs in the 45-70 - what a waste of money.

You need to borrow a guide gun and shoot it a bit. Then you'll know if the 45-70 is a good gun for you.

Lots of guys own 45-70s, but few hunt with them.

The guide gun is the best packing rifle I own. It is all I hunt with anymore. If I were into horseys, it would be my saddle gun.

MAny own 45-70's and don't shoot them.

Hunting with one is another matter entirely.

Very few people can actually control a light rifle like a marlin 1895.

I'm 6'4" and 295lb and I'll admit that I can't do it easily, with my typical hot 300gr handloads that rifle pushes me around like I was a lawnchair in a hurricane.

Someone smaller? BWhahahahaha!!!

The IDEA of a fast second shot is nice, actually performing the feat is something else....

fortunatly if you do your part on the first shot a second shot is seldom necissary.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote