THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    1895 Winchesters with curved lever,
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1895 Winchesters with curved lever,
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted
Anyone have ideas about how many curved lever sporters were made?

Also, someone had posted a pic of 3 rifles, I think, one was a 1895 with the curve.
Now, I cannot remember which thread it was in, re-post, please?

And better still:
Anyone with close-up pics of the lever?

EDIT: Found the picture

http://www.winchestercollector.org/guns/1895.shtml

Also found these pics:

http://www.rarewinchesters.com.../1895/model_95.shtml

Interesting---the curved lever does not employed the split upper and lower portions .

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the pistol grips were only built on the first model 1895's, the flatsides. There weren't any built on the later model with the two piece lever and thickened receiver rails. I don't know why. I don't see anything mechanical to prevent it being done. I suspect it was a cost cutting measure by Winchester.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The thought of a modern-made 1895 with a pistol grip makes me salivate.

I'd buy one even with that horrible tang safety, rebarrel it to .25-06, and scope it.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
There it is... Damn sexy and rare.
Someone please remake this!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27610 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
At Tulsa there was a beautiful example with an inscription dated 1896 can't recall the individuals name , the price --I remember--
13K Roll Eyes

Apparently less than 220 made, and a small last group of curved grips made used the standard straight two-piece lever inletted into the into the pistol grip curve.

All were 1895-1896 flat-sides.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
That is an early model '95". It has the flat receiver and squared off box magazine. Beautiful rifle.!!!!!

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must be blind. What is the difference in the receiver? I don't see it. The pistol grip looks like it would help the ergonomics some. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Is it difficult to reproduce the one piece and swap out the two piece lever?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27610 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Is it difficult to reproduce the one piece and swap out the two piece lever?

I would think with today's computer controlled equipment (and a specimen to copy) it would not be difficult.

There are also undoubtedly skilled individuals who would not need such equipment.

All it takes is money and time.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

one of us
posted Hide Post
The two piece lever was designed to hold the lever closed. I don't see any reason it couldn't be modified to make a pistol grip. A machinist could hog out a lever too but it would be a lot of hogging.

There was one on Gunbroker a while ago. The seller claimed it was a rare original. It was rare alright, it was so rare it didn't exist. That one was butt ugly. The pistol grip was to thick and just didn't look right. But it shows it can be done.