THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    barnes banded solid 450 gr in 45-70 wadaya think ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

barnes banded solid 450 gr in 45-70 wadaya think ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
i saw the new banded solids from barnes and was thinking about the 450 gr in the 45-70 i have a guide gun and thought this would be pretty punnishing load wawaya think

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
If it's Barnes you can't go to wrong but there are better choices in my opinion like the 420 Crater Lite from JB Young or his 550 grain Crater hardcast both of them sport a .365 Meplat.Both of these have takin lots of game from Deer to Buffalo and penetrate like there is no tommorrow if you like solids and Cast bullets.

The 420 Crater Lite penetrated 6-feet of wet news print at 100 yards going only 1600 fps at the muzzle.At 2,000 fps it only penetrated 3-feet of the news print.That stuff still amazes me.Just the opposite of what one would think.

Good luck in your choices.

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
jaycocreek...

thanks for the info...checked out his web site...pretty impressive

thanks...

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would almost bet the 450 gr. Barnes is too long for the 45-70 case and takes up too much powder space, so velocity would be too low and feed and function would be bad...In fact it may be too long for a .458 when it comes out in the wash.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't take Ray's bet. They are not too long to function in an 1895, but they take up too much powder room for maximum performance. And they are expensive to boot. I think Rem 405s get about as much out of a 45/70 as you have a right to expect.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 550 grain cast that is similar to Garretts 540 Hammerhead that in past penetration test has outpenetrated some of the big boomers like the 458 Win Mag with a 500+ grain solid.Penetration isn't always best served by velocity.The big 550 can be pushed over 1600 fps in the 45-70.

There are many bullets for the 45-70 better suited than the Remington 405 (for large animals) made for the green box ammo and the original SAAMI pressures of 28,000 PSI.There is the Swift A-Frame in 400 and 350 grains along with the 405 Kodiak that is well thought of in Alaska for Bears along with the 350 North Fork/Woodleigh/Barnes and Noslers.

The good old 350 Speer and 350 Hornady RN's both made for the 458 Win Mag and African plains game also work well with heavier jackets than the original 45-70 bullets as with the 400 Swift A-Frame now has double cannalures to accomodate the Marlin leverguns.

Lots of good choices for the new velocities the 450/45-70 is capable of.
This is the 550 grain I use in my Guide Gun from JB Young.

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
jaycocreek,
who makes that bullet it looks like what I am looking for.

Thanks

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jayco's bullet looks like either a J Bok cast or one of the Cast Performance biggies.

Cool Cool mgun

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SwiftShot:
jaycocreek,
who makes that bullet it looks like what I am looking for.

Thanks

JB Young makes it.I also use his 420 Crater Lite.Good guy and good bullets.
http://www.competitor-pistol.com/jbyoung.html

Jayco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would these big heavy bullets be damaging on your arlins action ?? I would love to try some in my marlin if they did not damage it.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the crater bullets were designed for the marlin, go to his web site

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Would these big heavy bullets be damaging on your arlins action ?? I would love to try some in my marlin if they did not damage it.

PC-They will not harm the modern 45-70 in any way.As boom stick said...JB Young's big cast were made for the Marlin 45-70 as are Randy Garretts and people have been shooting them for years without a problem like myself...

I think JB's bullets are second to none but I am bias.

Jayco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[Thanks folks !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you've seen the new Punch solids from Belt Mountain yet. The review is here: punch bullets

They look like real performers designed for the 45-70 (and other handgun calibers, too). I wonder how the 380 gr .475" units would work in a 470 Nitro for smaller game??

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
that is funny, i read an article about those and was wishing he would make a 45-70 one and lo and behold...that was a great read...grizzley cartridge is loading them for $80 for 20. the bear tooth 525 gr. piledriver bullets are much cheaper but man what confidence you could have with a charging bear with those belt mountain punch bullets. just called griz cart its not on their web page yet but you can order them. there are just so many awesome choices of bullets for the 45-70 it is great!