THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    want a lever action to add to collection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

want a lever action to add to collection
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i want a lever to add to my gun collection. dont know anthing about them other than a like the looks of the ss or goldenboys. i do want a large caliber. thanks mike.

Posts: 90 | Location: Okemos Mi. | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on what you want it for, you can't go wrong with any of the Marlins out there. Anything from a 30-30 on up will kill game cleanly dependant on your skill and using the right load. If you're looking to scare the bejesus outta the guys next to you on the benches, get yourself a 45-70 Guide Gun. If you can stand the recoil on the bench, get some Buffalo Bore or Garrett ammo.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would opt for the Marlin 1895 in what ever model you like, I have one in the 22"barrelled model but would love a stainless guide gun as well.

If you want something really big get yourself n 1886 winchesterin 45/70 and have it converted to 50-110 Cool

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC

Unless he's a complete outta control gun crank, he's probably not be interested in the 1886 as that's damn near double the price of a Marlin. If one looks around, a used 1895 Marlin can be had for slightly over $400 and change.

Cool Cool Smiler Smiler

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 475Guy:
PC

Unless he's a complete outta control gun crank, he's probably not be interested in the 1886 as Cool Cool Smiler Smiler

Must be thinking of myself nut Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester has 45/90 in the 1886 MDL lever action , I have one, no need for a .50/110

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
Winchester 1895 in .405Win.

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Savage M99

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
Browning BLR in .308Win (Belgium )

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think "RLI"s first recommendation is the best--Winchester 1895 in .405Win---Teddy Roosevelt's favorite gun with a large powerful cartridge. You may want to put a recoil pad on it but it's a fine looking big caliber gun

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester 71, caliber .348 Winchester.

Doug

one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
Marlin in .444Mar

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
45-70 guide gun in stainless...i am biased, i have one...ditto on the garrett hammerheads

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike I have 2 marlins .45 long colt .357 mag also a 1886 Winchester 45/90 for big game hunting the 45/90 will drop anything , the other 2 rifles at short range are great , meaning out to 200 yards . concho

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know that once you start your other guns are either doomed to sale or being stuffed into the safe for a very long time. The myth and mystery of the lever action is like drugs and beautiful women. Once you begin you wil be hooked forever.
If you are looking for a strictly shooter, tough as nails hard to beat which allows a scope be added easily- Savage '99
If you want exotic, need to do your homework and then pay your dues in practice, reloading and pain- Win. '86 in 45-90
If you want an everyday gun that has the history of Cowboys, Indians, the old west and find 'em anywhere ammo go with the Winchester '94 in 30-30.
For value Marlin 336 in any caliber. I like mine in .375, 35 rem. and 444 Marlin.
For priceless beauty and getting really hard to find Winchester '71 in .348 supergrade.
For a piece of modern reproduction Henry in 22 or 44(I think)
How about the Winchester Trapper in '45 to match your Colt also in '45.
The list will go on forever. I would almost give anything to find an original Spencer I can afford. Found a Kennedy about two days late just last month.
You choices are endless and matched only by your dreams.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
Start with a Savage 99 in .300 Savage. Fall in love with Savage 99's. You'll love the feel and that solid action. The magazine holds 5 + 1 with pointed tip bullets. You can't go wrong.
I'm on my 5th one now.

I'll quit buying guns when my wife quits buying shoes.

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted Hide Post
Both ends of the spectrum depending upon your use: Marlin 1895 in 45-70 (or the new Henry 45-70 if you can find one!) . . . or Savage M99 in 300 Savage or 250-3000. I'm a 99 fan in any caliber!

NRA Endowment Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 521 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It boils down to two choices:

1. Turnbull M1886 Winchesters

and...

2. everything else

I will be posting my Turnbull in 50-110 today I hope.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think that after 8 years the OP would have found what he wanted or slugslinger really needed to post .

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
either way, it won't materially affect you...

or the rest of us.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted Hide Post
Sorry, didn't notice the date.
I do that sometimes . . .

NRA Endowment Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 521 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, he might have one by now.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy lever's
but what you gonna do with it ? I have a 116 year old 30/30 that has the cool factor and can still take game, and is fun to shoot just for the hell of it !
My 45/70 is a hoot too ,factory loads are mild, for plinking , and my hand loads are powerful enough
For damn near anything,
If you want to reach out a bit farther my savage 99 in .308 is a great hunting rifle,
And my 1894 marlin 44 mag is a hoot too and its also a great camp or home defense rifle !
And there is always the old marlin take down 22s , i want one of those , ! tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of killbill
posted Hide Post
i know i am commenting on a very old topic, but i just have to say that my little Marlin 1894 in 357 mag is as fun to shoot as anything. loaded with 38 specials it makes a unique "pop" out of the 18" barrel and bigger holes than a 22. i can actually see the holes at 25 yards, which is good for me. very accurate as well and no recoil.

Posts: 37 | Location: Spartanburg SC | Registered: 20 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What the heck, this thread is only ten years old. Leverguns are TIMELESS! I really liked my Marlin 1894C 357/38 spec. But it got to be worth too much, so it went down the road in a rotation of stock. Got a Rossi R92 trapper with large loop and it is my new redhead gun. Cat sneeze loads 158 gr lead swc over 4.2 gr trailboss group close to an inch at 75 yds..this little gun deserves a peep sight!

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still like my old 1886 in 40-82 WCF and my almost as ancient '92 in 32-20 WCF. At one time, 2-3 decades ago, I had a pile of lever rifles. Tastes and interests change but those two were never considered to head down the road.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote