THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    a new dawn for us lever people AFRICA LEVER GUNS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a new dawn for us lever people AFRICA LEVER GUNS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
jeffeosso and paul h have designed a new cartridge family based on a shortened rum case that will work in the browning b.l.r. these rounds will be from 470 down to the 243 with evrything inbetween. the 470 will be the capstick twin, the 458 will be the lott twin, the 416 will be a tad slower than the 416 rem the 375 will be faster than the h+h and the rest...fast!

yes this is a new day for us lever people...we now have africa in our sights if we want or the best stomper for anything in america. check out the big bore board for details and if you want send jeffeosso a $20 donation to cover the cost of the r+d. he is letting a.r. people use the reamers for free!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but its a BLR.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
true...but its the action that counts...its faster and familiar to us cowboys Big Grin

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessin' that the recoil from a .470 Clone in a BLR will be refreshing, whaddya think?

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't know, Dan. It may create a few new crosseyed dislexics, though.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
A BLR is a modern lever--- It does not count in my book. Levers have to be the turn of the century type to interest me. Its also UUUUUGGGGLY!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

Its also UUUUUGGGGLY!

Pretty puts a big honkin' bullet on the mark every time..
Winchester 1895, .405 Win. = pretty
Glock M23, .40S&W = pretty
(dons asbestos suit...)

Posts: 42 | Location: MA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
yeah its not a pretty rifle but as jhrosier put it

pretty is is pretty does thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just do it right and base it on a 1895 Winchester. Plenty of hot wildcats out there already based on the 30-06. Not to mention a 9.3x62 Wink

Posts: 91 | Location: USA | Registered: 09 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
jeffeosso and paul h have designed a new cartridge family based on a shortened rum case that will work in the browning b.l.r. these rounds will be from 470 down to the 243 with evrything inbetween.

So--have any of the BLR versions been built??

I'm looking at a .300 Winmag takedown right now--
an extra, "large" barrel would be a nice addition such as a 416 or 423 version of this cartridge family .

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
What AEI said about the 1895, +1.

The Miroku 1886 makes a strong platform too - see Wolfe site for .45-90 Express loads, they are all over 4,000 pounds ME. I have a few for my 1886 that are at least that, but are not "vetted" with a pressure barrel, so they shall remain unpublished.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:
Yeah, but its a BLR.

Exactly!! The BLR is a faux lever gun! If its on a wnichester 1895 that is cool, its a real lever gun then.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Yeah, but its a BLR.

Exactly!! The BLR is a faux lever gun! If its on a wnichester 1895 that is cool, its a real lever gun then.

Ok
Ok
I have a couple of 1895's-- I am still interested in the BLR takedown as a multiple barrel rig--esp with the aboved described cartridges.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad bought two BLR's in the late 70's. One in .308 and the other in .358. They have been accurate, handy, reliable rifles for 30 years. I like BLR's. They work and work well!

I have owned plenty of Marlins and Winchesters and Browning(replicas)in calibers from .218 Bee and .32-20 to .348 and .45-70, with another half dozen calibers in between, and have liked and enjoyed them all. Just because I use and love traditional levers, doesn't mean I can't appreciate the BLR for what it is and what it can do.

Thanks for adding some real thumpers to my favorite type of rifle, the levergun.

"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet. But have a plan on how to kill them." From an old Marine.

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
As much fun as it is to get a 350 grain Hornady bullet going 2k fps in my Marlin Lever gun I can only imagine how much fun a 470 would be!

Maybe I'm getting older but I don't think I'd like to try it more than a couple times Big Grin

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Recoil of a 400gr @ 2000 fps in my .405 isn't bad -- guess I'm curious what a .423 variant of the above proposed cartridge family might be like.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But, it's not a lever action, it's a BLR!
eeeeeeeech!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DWright:
But, it's not a lever action, it's a BLR!
eeeeeeeech!

I do not own a BLR --yet.

I have or have had--
1895 Win and Marlin, Mod 71, 1886, 1894, 1892,Mod 36, Model 88, Finnwolf etc, etc

Just like the concept of multiple barrels,
a lock-up of the bolt IN the barrel shank,
lightweight alloy receiver
lever

Who knows after I get one-- I might not like it'
but the other non-conventional levers--the 88 and Sako have been great rifles.

I'll just have to wait and see.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
FYI,Dave Clay has been converting these to Large calibers including 50/110! clap

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
FYI,Dave Clay has been converting these to Large calibers including 50/110! clap

? Do you mean the BLR ?

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Yes and he can do a set of different caliber barrels for one rifle! patriot

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
Has anyone done a .416 caliber based on a .348/.50-110 case?
Since FN bullets have been (re)discovered as being excellent penetrators, it seems to me a traditional lever action like the Browning M71 would be a good platform to launch such a round.

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
not a 416 but why not the 450 ak

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by someoldguy:
Has anyone done a .416 caliber based on a .348/.50-110 case?
Since FN bullets have been (re)discovered as being excellent penetrators, it seems to me a traditional lever action like the Browning M71 would be a good platform to launch such a round.

Built one years ago on a Siamese Mauser.
There are a couple of different versions--
I chose the Ackley variant.
Good round.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Any leftys shooting a BLR

http://forums.accuratereloadin...7108194/m/2351006821

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The BLR can and has been converted to 458win, a 416 rem would also be possible. Remember, it shoots 300win mag from the factory so any case head that similar will work. While the BLR is ugly, no other manufacturer is producing 358win's in a lever, thats why i got mine.

Its accurate, light, and handy, and the deer dont know its ugly Roll EyesNo other lever has ever been produced in 7mm rem mag or 300win mag, so it is in a class by itself.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I am a huge BLR fan. Just shoot one before you insult it. It is so smooth, fast and accurate. Ultra strong action puts most bolt guns to shame. The bolt is free-floating in the carrier to allow it to headspace off the barrel extension, so alignment is precise, and headspace is set with any barrel you switch to. Not to mention the reciever carries no stress, and scout mounts are standard now.

I do know it's been done before, and I know Mike Degerness of ABS systems will do it with a small engineering charge for anything that will fit in the action.

As I have said before, a better DG back-up gun then anything else. You cannot work a bolt half as fast or reliably as the BLR, and the trigger travels with the lever, so it's nothing but easy, fast and reliable. Even the hump back design that so many call ugly is reminicent of the Auto-5, and was developed to easy eye and cheek alignment; it puts your head in a very comfortable position. Do give one a try

-Extremist
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Instructor
Victory in life is dying for what you were born to do.
"I hope you live forever" -300
"Never judge an enemy by his words, he might turn out to be a better shot then a writer"
http://www.gscustomusa.com

Posts: 213 | Location: Auburn, IN | Registered: 16 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
http://home.windstream.net/mdegerness/

absbarrels@gmail.com

Thanks for the lead for somone to do this type of work.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, but its a BLR.

Absolutely! A faux lever gun, I would rather carry a remington 700 than a blr! stir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The short action BLR is a great rifle. The only other real lever gun is a Savage 99.

Wink

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only leveraction rifle I see, to make up for big game catridges would be the 1895 Winchester. I have many times thought of, to have an action made up that would take .577 Nitro express, and his smaller brother .500 Nitro. I know one day, I`LL try to have a good machinest to evaluate the cost of making 10 recievers for an oversized `95 action.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
The only leveraction rifle I see, to make up for big game catridges would be the 1895 Winchester. I have many times thought of, to have an action made up that would take .577 Nitro express, and his smaller brother .500 Nitro. I know one day, I`LL try to have a good machinest to evaluate the cost of making 10 recievers for an oversized `95 action.

I have often had similar thoughts-- even drew up an "improved" lock-up that would not detract from the aesthetics or function.

Guess we better start buying lottery tickets. Big Grin

Or as a few have said --just build the BLR .458 front-end.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You "Anti-BLR"ist make me scratch my head. What makes it NOT a lever rifle? Oh, because it uses a locking bolt head instead of a small block of steel shoved up the bolt's arse? It's works via a lever, hence, lever-action rifle! Look, it does things no other lever gun can do, and it deserves respect. High strength, something every lever aficianado has asked for. Smoothness, again, who doesn't want that. And super easy (one single lever, about 2 seconds) take-down... Oh, so it's slightly larger in width then the Marlins and Winchesters, but it's still no larger then the stock! What about the height you say? Well, that's what aids in comfortable shouldering and natural pointablility...not saying the other rifles don't have that, it just does as well, and it's easy on your neck. If you happen to have large cheeks, Marlin's just don't work that well for you, unless you add height to the sights, but then you are right where the BLR is. Really, the BLR is smoother and faster then even a tricked out Winchester 1886. And simply the fact that the trigger travels with the lever is enough to get my attention. What about magazine fed vs tube feed? Look, I will almost always use flat nosed bullets, but it's nice to have the weight between the hands vs in the front end, and it can use all kinds of different cartridges, bullets or lengths without issue. It ballances very well, and it's very well built.

Off my box now. pissers

-Extremist
"Never judge an enemy by his words, he might turn out to be a better shot then a writer"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything done with this yet? Would love to hear what the gunsmiths have said or what work has been completed.

-Extremist

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah i'd be veryinterested in one of these. i love the blr, totally superior to my other leverguns in about everyother way except in ease of taking down. don'twant to go there.

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Yeah, but its a BLR.

Absolutely! A faux lever gun, I would rather carry a remington 700 than a blr! stir

How do ya figure?

Lets see, its got a lever under the stock/action; moving the lever downwards opens the action, ejecting the spent case and reloading the chamber with a fresh cartridge.

Lets see how the old Winnie designs work. Lets see, they have a lever under the stock/action; moving the lever downwards opens the action, ejecting the spent case and reloading the chamber with a fresh cartridge.

Hmmmmmm.....seems like the BLR works kinda like a....wow, like a LEVER ACTION!!! Eeker Whoda thunk it!!

I would like to have a short action BLR in .325 WSM rebarreled/rechambered to the .325-375 WWSM wildcat...sounds like a real whacker to me....at both ends!! BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
great idea and i'd take a 416 ruger with a 20" heavy barrel. add a mercury recoil reducer and sweet recoil pad, awesome. if you have something like that i'd buy it in a heart beat.

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradmark:
great idea and i'd take a 416 ruger with a 20" heavy barrel. add a mercury recoil reducer and sweet recoil pad, awesome. if you have something like that i'd buy it in a heart beat.

A 416 Ruger would be pretty sweet in a BLR.

One of Us
Picture of Nanook 450
posted Hide Post
I sold my BLR in 22-250 - the barrel whas thin and the action is just not the same as my Marlins. Was glad to get rid of it.

I'd trust Randy Garrett's loads in a Marlin 45-70 for dangerous game in Africa - but I'm a good shot with my Marlins. They are faster than bolt actions - my 1895 LTD V holds 9 rounds with a 24 inch barrel.

www.garrettcartrides.com

Posts: 247 | Location: Norman, OK & Marble Falls, TX | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote