Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BLR
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
I wanted some opinions hear .Getting older i am realy liking light weight rifles and I have decided to buy a browning blr lightweight 81 and will put on a leupold 1.5x5x20. This rifle will only be used for deer and bear hunting hear in upstate NY with most shots 50-100yds and a long shot being 150.I am thinking about getting it in 358 winchester , and the only other consideration was the 308 winchester.I guess the recent purchase of a 35 whelen has me liking the 35 caliber. I have mostly hunted all my life with the 30/06. So do you guys think i would like the 358 or would the 308 be a better choice. I would be reloading my own no matter the choice anmd just wanted to get some opinions from you guys that have experience with the 308 and 358. Thanks Tanoose

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 308 is one of my most favorite cartridges. I have taken a lot of deer and a blackbear with it.
However for what you have in mind the 358 would be hard to beat. It is an underrated cartridge.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
358 will be very good choice. I think the gun writers killed the 358 by always referring to it as a short range cartridge like the 35 Rem.But if you reload you'll always be able to use it.BTW bear hunting has been good in the Catskills .A bow hunter got a 686 lb north of Port Jervis and another got a 600 lb bear in Saugerties !!

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
358 Win, there is no substitute! I am looking at a BLR with the pistol grip or converting a Marlin in 35 Rem. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr.Lou, try Buffalo Bore in a 35 Rem it takes it into a new level !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How is the BLR for changing barrels? Would it work to have both a 308 barrel and a 358 barrel?

One of Us
Picture of H.C.
posted Hide Post
I have a BLR in .358, this is an excellent all around gun. This is an outstanding cartridge, and if you like the .308 you will love the .358.

So Many Guns, So Little Time!

Posts: 61 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the .308 vs .358 argument with myself several times. I have always come back to where I wonder if bullets appropriate for .358 velocities are out there and then I don't have anything where I hunt that would require a .358. I think the .308 might be better as more bullet choices are available. I have a hard time wondering what I could not kill with a 180 grain partition out of a .308 in my neck of the woods?

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Mete, thanks for the note. I'll take a look. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you can find a 225 grain .35 bullet to your liking, I'd go with the .358 Win. If not, I'd use 200 gr. Partitions and go with the .308 chambering. If it wasn't for the bear use you mention, I'd go with lighter bullets. For deer alone, I'd use the .308 with 165's.

I have a .358 BLR right now (my second one) and have owned the .308 BLR a couple of times previously. I don't think you will go wrong enough to notice with either one.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like the BLR and your projected use might be the perfect home for the .338 Federal, with 185 gr. TSX bullets, doesn't it?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Tanoose,
I have one of the steel receiver BLR 81s in .358.
I will provide what little I know since I have not shot it a great deal. The rifle is very muzzle light since the barrel is so skinny. I have never scoped my rifle but I did put one of the Williams WGRS sights on it. I do not think I would like the rifle with a scope mounted except maybe for ammo testing. I have other rifles that the bulk of a scope is not out of place on. The trim BLR just does not seem right for a scope.
My eyes work alot better with the WGRS than with the factory rear sight. I really like the action but the trigger is the worst I have ever used including $10 Daisy BB guns. Still I enjoy shooting it.
To shoot a .358 you have to load as the ammo is just not that easy to find or affordable if you did. Even brass is rare though you can make it out of .308 brass. The ONE thing I will add is the 225 Nosler BT is too pointy for the magazine so don't plan on them. If you seat it until the ogive starts at the case mouth it will be too long. I dropped one like that into the chamber then had a problem getting it out because the loading port is not long enough to eject it.
To get a good handle on the .358 compare the velocity of the 250 grain bullets to the same weight or the 270 grain bullets fired from a 375 H&H. Some what slower yes...but still a power house in a much lighter rifle. The 200 grain bullets are much more gentle to shoot.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Tanoose

I have a BLR Lightweight 81 in .450 Marlin with a leupold vxIII 1.5x5x20 on it. It is probably my favorite rifle. Very light, very easy to to get on target quickly, and also very easy to hold on target. The first load I tried in it shot .67" 3 shot at 100 yards. I think you'l be very happy with it, and I would go with the .358".

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have my eye on one in 7-08 with the pistol grip stock. The light in barrel comment is a concern for off hand shooting. My biggest concern is the drop at comb. How friendly is the rifle for off hand shooting? Can you put your face to the comb and your eye line up pretty good with a low mounted scope?

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies , i have decided to go with the 358 winchester . Neverflinch how do you like the feel of the blr with that 1.5X5x20, i plan on putting one of those on but with the german #4 recticle. One of the local gunshops have one in stock and i am going tomorrow to take a look at it and if i like it i will put some money down tomorrow. Thanks again Tanoose

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own an older BLR in .358. Very good handling woods rifle with the weight between the hands and slimness of the reciever. Feels as good as a Savage 99 to me. I currently replaced a 2.5X scope with a red dot and feel that this combo will do everything I need for typical woods ranges.

I do handload and highly recommend 200gr Hornady RN. Very accurate in my rifle and I feel confident out to 200yds.

For heavier bullets I rely on my 35 Whelen which has proven itself deadly on Moose.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tanoose:
Thanks for all the replies , i have decided to go with the 358 winchester . Neverflinch how do you like the feel of the blr with that 1.5X5x20, i plan on putting one of those on but with the german #4 recticle. One of the local gunshops have one in stock and i am going tomorrow to take a look at it and if i like it i will put some money down tomorrow. Thanks again Tanoose

It may be a little light in the muzzle, but I don't really notice it. The overall weight of the gun is not very much so I have no problem holding it VERY steady. The gun also shoulder's very well for me and i can aquire the target faster than any other rifle I own. I think you will really like it. Keep us posted on how it shoots.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I have three BLRs in the original, pre-81 configuration. Two are 358's and one in 308--they are by far my favorite rifles.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the blr is going take down...anouncement will happen at the shot show...sell yer blr's now and buy the new take down!!!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep Sell yer BLRs now.
I want a .223 and a.257 and a .308

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can buy a take-down kit from Z-hat custom and they will also lighten the trigger.

I have a light-weight 81' in .358 and i love it! quick to the shoulder, light and compact. I have a set of Talley light weight mounts with a Leupold ultra-light 2-1/2X scope on it and the balance is not ruined at all.

Tried the 200gr Hornady spire point on a deer and had the bullet shed the jacket. The Remington core-lokt spire point has a thicker jacket and is very inexpensive and accurate, just have to shoot something with it now!

Brass is easy to find as winchester produces limited lots every now and then, just buy a couple hundred and you should be set for life. You made a great choice i love the .358 win.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well you made a good choice with the 358 myself i would've suggested the 308 but both are very good there have been alot of deer taken in north country with the 308

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
I know I am late on this post.But I just wanted to say that I love my BLR in 308.It is my favorite rifle.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've hunted alot with the old 06 and bought a 308 for my son to start with one of the most accurate guns i ever shot.this past hunting season picked up a savage 99 in 358 i see dust in the others future just mohop

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I too am a Browning fan, as I have two BLR's one in 308 and the other in a 450 Marlin. The 308 has chalked up is fair share of game and as never done me wrong - heck how can one go wrong with the tried and tested 308. Neither of my BLR's have scopes nor will they ever, I suppose you could consider me a bit of a traditionalist and believe a lever should not have a scope, but that’s my own choice. My 308 is in the shop getting a new Williams peep and front sights and should be ready Saturday which means Sunday I will be out at the range.

Regards

Conrad

Posts: 6 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Registered: 21 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .308 win is a great cartridge, no dust on it but in my humble opinion the .358win is in a class all by itself.

Both cartridges will readily kill big big game like elk and moose but people who use a 250gr bullet in the .358win notice a greater effect on said animals, more of a punch.

As far as bullets go, there are tons of .358" bullets and any bullet that can be used in a Whelen can be used in a .358win.

200gr- Hornady S.P./RN- Remington core-lokt S.P./R.N.- Barnes TSX - Winchester silver tip- North Fork-Hawk R.N./S.P.

225gr-Sierra B.T.-Nosler partition-Nosler Accu-bond-Barnes TSX-North Fork-Woodleigh weld core-Hawk R.N./S.P.- Trophy bonded bear claw

250gr-Hornady S.P./R.N.-Remington S.P./R.N.-Speer S.P.-Speer Grand Slam-Nosler partition-Hawk S.P./R.N.-North Fork-Woodleigh weld core-Swift A-frame

275gr- would only use the Hawk bullets as they are soft enought to expand at the low velocitites that the .358win would push em at

If this aint enough bullet selection then someone wouldnt be happy with ANY cartridge out there clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have five rifles chambered to the .358 Win. Nuff said?
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fgulla
The 308 is one of my favorite cartridges.
I think it is one of the best hunting cartridges there is.

However I had a 350 Rem Mag for a while, and for the last several years have been using a 9,3x74R for game in the US, Canada and Zimbabwe.

I agree with you and other posters on this thread that the 358Win is a highly under rated big game cartridge.

Medium bore cartridges have not caught on with the majority of American hunters.

It is a pity because they have low recoil and are great killers.

American gun companies keep trying to give us the Holy Grail [the 358 Win, 350 Rem Mag, 35 Whelen, 338/06, 338 Federal, it all started with the 33 Win and the 348 Win,] but the hunters as a whole will not drink from the cup.
[The 9,3x62 and the 9,3x74R just might be the best medium bores of all, but there are no flies in the American versions for our game.]

It is velocity and short fat cases that is the current rage.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either round is a good choice. I prefer the .308 as it will give you some range and more versatality and anything you shoot with either will die if you stick the bullet in the right spot, otherwise neither caliber will work very well.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Well i have to say this BLR is a great rifle i went with the .358 over the 308 as i plan only to use this rifle at short range(to 100 yds)although for me i think i can make it a 200 yd rifle. i did top it with a leupold 1.5x5x20 with a german #4 recticle. And while i haven't had a chance to shoot any reloads through it yet it is very accurate with the winchester factory 200 grain silvertips.It weights in just a hair over 7 pounds which is what i was lookink for. I can also say i have never seen a lever action this smooth.While i had only planned on using 200 grain bullets i am now leaning toward the Hornady 250 RN or the Swift 225 A-Frame both of these bullets should do very well on Moose. Thanks for all your help . Later Tanoose

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting with a pre81 308 since i was 14. I have killed countless deer with it and hunt with it still. Its accurate, safe and sex on a stick.
topped w/ a 2.5-8 leupold its a hard combo to beat. loves the hornady 168 amaxs and the 165 BTSP's at 2550 MV.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose

Great choice, check out the 225gr TSX, would be great for moose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose,
You rascal, you knew you were going with the .358 before you posted!! Smiler Smiler Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree with you and other posters on this thread that the 358Win is a highly under rated big game cartridge.

Medium bore cartridges have not caught on with the majority of American hunters.

It is a pity because they have low recoil and are great killers.

American gun companies keep trying to give us the Holy Grail [the 358 Win, 350 Rem Mag, 35 Whelen, 338/06, 338 Federal, it all started with the 33 Win and the 348 Win,]

Don't forget the .35 Winchester carrtridge, chambered in the old '95 Winchester lever action rifle......

Though I preferred the .33 WCF in the '86 over them all, the .35 Win was an excellent game cartridge too.

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Atkinson i was about 90% sure, i made a call to a local shop two weeks after this post was made and he had one in stock so i gave myself an early xmas present. I have a question for you guys who use 250 grain bullets. So far from what i see the Hornady 250 rn is the shortest from the base to the crimp groove alowing for more powder then most thus giving higher velocitys. Are there any other 250 grain bullets with crimp grooves that are similar in size to the Hornady

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need for a crimp in the BLR. I have found the Speer 250 Spitzer at 2300 fps to work fine for elk.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote