Find
Notify
Tools

New Hornady .45-70 load
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I see Hornady has a new .45=70 load in development. No ballistics yet, but it is being built around a new 250-grain solid guilding metal bullet. I'm wild-ass guessing they are hoping for something like 2600 fps or more. It will probably be very useful for deer, but not much else.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Man this will piss off the cantankerous 444 crowd Wink

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did you see that info for the GMX?

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Temmi: Go to Hornady's Web site and look at their ammunition offerings, and you should see this load listed without ballistics but a note that is in "R&D".

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Penetration wise I'll bet you can get a twofer or maybe even a threefer if you can get them all lined up right. Big Grin

Kalifornia is forcing us back to solids with their Molybiphobia... fear of lead. shocker Big Grin

Hey...my 1/38T Marlin 336 444M swap barrel shoots any bullet weight less than ~0.0850" long very well...265 gr and 270 gr jacketed into 1" cloverleafs at 100 yds, the 300 gr Horn XTP goes twice that but it sure doesn't like ANY cast lead bullet no matter what the OD is. Can't shoot the 325 Jellybellys so maybe a 250 gr "solid" will be just the ticket.

Thanks for the heads up, Bill...Has the snow melted yet over your way? Winter doesn't want to turn loose seems like.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill/Oregon

Thanks I found it..

But I gotta say I'm hopen for a 350g - 400g

GMX with a plain old flat point or maybe a setup like the "Critical Defense" bullet which keeps the "classic profile"

and one more thing....

for the 450M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It will probably be very useful for deer, but not much else.

Yeah not much at all...

I bet a 150 grn 30 caliber soft tipped bullet in a sabot will be next.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FOOBAR:
Penetration wise I'll bet you can get a twofer or maybe even a threefer if you can get them all lined up right. Big Grin

The 325 GR FTX got a 2fer for me (deer) 90yards. Pass through on both. I would betcha you are correct on the 3fer if they would just cooperate and line up! flame

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Yeah...I've always thought a whole lot of people don't quite understand all they don't know about this pentration "stuff".

I watched a 180 gr Rem bronze point from an '06 skip off across a bean field in 1961, after it went through a 250 lb skinned, gutted and hanging muley...my buddies dog found the bullet some 400 plus hards past the deer...roughly 475 yds. The bullet just lost the tip...we both quit using bronze points after that...and no one believes us to this day.

I was constantly warned when I was growing up not to shoot unless the background was clear of other animals...hitting a second aminal was considered very bad form, gross neglect of safety and would get you banned from hunting with the group. The word got around and you just weren't invited on ANY hunts again.

Years later when the deer stock rose so high they were eating themselves out of house and home that all changed...limits went up and everyone tried for at least one twofer a year...threefers weren't uncommon but I never heard of more that that. I think a lot more animals were hit than collected and died out in the bush...at least the coyotes stayed fat.

I never cease to be amazed at the penetration of a hard cast bullet even in a low velocity 38 Special...or see what a 22 LR does to the human body.

I read somewhere, someone has been experimenting with different cal bullet in sabots for several of the larger cal cases or using aluminum bullets to get the higher velocities...amazing what the human mind is capable of. Big Grin

Luck