New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ambidextrous lever actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got a son who is 11 years old. Currently he is left eye dominant and shoots that way in his BB class.

I hesitate, though, to buy him a left handed rifle when he comes of age. He's right handed, and I fear that he'll revert to right handedness for general shooting. He seems to do well with both eyes now, but prefers the left, which he should as all of the usual tests indicate he is left eye dominant.

So ... what levers are out there that are ambidextrous, i.e. have a top eject? I'm assuming that a scout scope would be in order.

Posts: 143 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Violator22
posted Hide Post
I know quite a few southpaws that use the Savage 99's, but it all depends on what you want to spend. If it truly is a problem, look at getting one of the Left haded bolt actions from Savage, either way, you don't have to go with a scout scope. Let him shoot some if you can, then get his opinion on what he feels comfortable with. Les

Don't hold you farts, they travel up your spine to your brain and thats where crappy ideas come from!

Posts: 24 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 21 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Older 94 Winchesters and all 86, 92, 95, and Model 71's are top eject. That should cover the full range of power. However, as long as the cases ejecting from a Marlin clear your shoulder, I really don't see that side eject is a problem. You might have your son try a 336 to see if the cases pass by.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i second asdf

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27610 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deertick, I shoot lefthanded and have done so for 50+ years. I love levers and have used them all. I would say the perfect solution for him would be a late model Savage 99 with the tang (universal) safety. The side ejection should not be a problem. Another choice would be a Remington 760 pump with a LH safety installed. I have actually shot RH for extended periods of time when shooting competition, but always revert to LH after awhile. Give the 99 a try, great gun, good caliber choice, takes a scope well and can be damn accurate. I wouldn't mess with a top eject gun and trying to scope it. If you want a more traditionl type lever, then look at the Marlins. I have them ranging from 219 Zipper to 375 Win and they too are good guns. Nothing wrong with the Winchesters, but you will pay a premium for them. I really don't think the side eject will be an issue. It usually isn't a problem except with semiautos that want to pelt you with hot brass.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deertick:
I've got a son who is 11 years old. Currently he is left eye dominant and shoots that way in his BB class.

I hesitate, though, to buy him a left handed rifle when he comes of age. He's right handed, and I fear that he'll revert to right handedness for general shooting. He seems to do well with both eyes now, but prefers the left, which he should as all of the usual tests indicate he is left eye dominant.

So ... what levers are out there that are ambidextrous, i.e. have a top eject? I'm assuming that a scout scope would be in order.

posted Hide Post
deertick, my son has same problem got him a marlin 1895 in 45-70 he loves it no problem with ejection of empty"s

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Marlin 336 and am left handed. I don't have any problems with ejection. I like it better than my pre 64 Win 94. They are about the same vintage,1952-53.

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marlin 444 works wonderful for me shooting it lefthanded

The Lord Bless You

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to have a son who was left handed and right eyed ! he was that way till 41 from birth so don't worry about yours changing !he learned to shoot right hander from 4 years up !

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am the same as your son first rifle I got was a Marlin 44 Mag.

short and fat and hard to get at, hit like a hammer and never been hit back.

Posts: 251 | Location: Just north of Salingrad. | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'm right-handed but have shot left-handed now for 40 years due to being heavily left eye dominant. Only thing I shoot right-handed is a bow and I can't explain why; I guess I just started that way.

I recommend you get your son a BLR in whatever caliber you feel appropriate. I have a .308 and a .358 now and have owned a 243 but they're available in 257 Roberts, 7mm-08, 22-250, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag and 450 Marlin--maybe more. They are very easy to use either right or left-handed.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote