New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Marlin????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How much difference is there between the 18.5 in. guide gun and the 22 in. 1895 as far as accuracy and muzzle velocity? I just gotta get a lever 45-70 and I can’t decide which of the two to get.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
The Guide Gun is very accurate but the standard is also.The difference in velocity depends on the bullet.Buffalo Bore figures 50 fps from the 22 inch to the Guide Gun and that is about what I get with there 350 speer ammo.Averaged out from test shot in a 24 inch test barrel it runs about 17 fps per barrel inch depending on the bullet and velocity.

My vote goes for the Guide Gun but I am partial. Big Grin

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Guide Gun "Mjolnir" has the older ported barrel and starts both the Remington 405 jacketed and PMC 405 lead at 1200 fps. Federal and Winchester 300 JHPs clock 1700 fps. Perhaps someone with a 22 inch or 26 inch Marlin can tell us what velocities they get with the same loads. FWIW Were I shopping for a Marlin 45/70 these days I'd be strongly tempted to get the 1895 Cowboy. Good hunting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Performance is very similar on all three 1895 variants. Go to a store that has all three and see which one you like the best. For me the guide gun and the classic 1895 are equal but I like the cowboy model less.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a guide gun (the older ported model in stainless) and a cowboy. I agree with the above post, the guide gun is very handy but fairly LOUD. While I've never had to use it as such, the length and bore size make a great "car" gun that I feel fairly certain would deter all but the most doped up aggressors and if they chose to continue to be aggressive then a 350 grainer in the brisket will likely finish the deterrence question. The cowboy gun is fine and "hangs" well for offhand shooting but is kind of clunky for carrying around. Since I don't have the 22 inch version in .45-70 it might well be the best compromise length.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 22"version and I like it a lot, especially with the pistol grip stock, I would like to add a stainless guide gun to the kit at some point $$ depending, but I would get the one you like the best, I doubt there is a lot of real world difference between the 18.5" version and the 22" version.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I'm definitely not talking about a ported guide gun (too loud) I am kinda sorta leaning towards the guide gun cause it seems so handy but I wanted to make sure I’m not giving up much in accuracy and velocity. Why don’t they make a straight grip 20 in. version with a full length mag. Tube? I’d think that would sell like crazy.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhilly66:
Thanks guys! I'm definitely not talking about a ported guide gun (too loud) I am kinda sorta leaning towards the guide gun cause it seems so handy but I wanted to make sure I’m not giving up much in accuracy and velocity. Why don’t they make a straight grip 20 in. version with a full length mag. Tube? I’d think that would sell like crazy.

Yeah that model would work well, I actually don't mind the 22"barrelled model and thats what I made my 50-110 kind of like, it is full length mag 22" barrel and straight grip and handles very well (alas I have not fired it yet, but it handles living room game very well Big Grin )

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why don’t they make a straight grip 20 in. version with a full length mag. Tube? I’d think that would sell like crazy.

I believe Brockman will do that work for you. Personally I'd like to see a 20 inch with a shorter three round magazine tube, slimmer wood, and a real recoil pad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Are the new Guide guns ported?
John

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, the new guide guns are not ported. I'll be damned if I still can't make up my mind between the 22 in. and the guide gun.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll be damned if I still can't make up my mind between the 22 in. and the guide gun.

Since you need at least one and cannot make up your mind then you have no choice but to buy both...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since you need at least one and cannot make up your mind then you have no choice but to buy both...

Now you're talkin! I'll just have to get it past the wife.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i have the unported...it just made the cover story in nra shooting illustrated in stainless with xs peep sight and mount with leupold 2.5 fixed and quick release rings...copycat! the guy put two garrett hammerheads all the way through a big black bear...read the magazine article and you will probably get the guide version but after people read this article getting ahold of one will be hard for a while...i just like stainless

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27610 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote