THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Shot a black bear with the 450 Marlin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot a black bear with the 450 Marlin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went hunting for the first time for a black bear in Canada using the 450 Marlin. I used Hornady 350 grains bullets and this worked flawlessly. The bear dropped on the spot and never got back up.

The bullet entered in the shoulder, tore through the liver (shredding the upper pole), skirted the diaphram, injuring both lower lungs and tearing through a lot of large vessels, went just above the heart, and exited in the opposite shoulder. I think the pulmonary vein and artery were toast. It was a shot of about 50-60 yards and the bear was about 175 pounds without the guts.

She was not the largest bear of the group, but this was my first time hunting bear.

It was the first time hunting with this rifle and I am more than happy with its performance. I used factory ammo for this hunt, but I will start reloading for this rifle for next year.

I do need help on one thing? Does anyone know how to cook bear meat?

Thanks for all your help in preparing me for this hunt. I had a great time, and will go on this hunt again next year.

:-)

Marianne

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear meat is similar to pork in that trichinosis (spelling) can be a real problem so make sure the meat is cooked well.

You also want to make sure than anything you use to cut or process the meat before it is cooked is also thouroughly cleaned...especailly grinders if you are making burgers.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Marianne! Obviously a moment to be proud of.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M

Before you decide whether you want to cook a roast or two, cut off a small steak size piece and just use Olive oil, salt and pepper like any other meat and see. If it is too strong for you, then use a good marinade to your taste and let it sit for at least 12 hrs or better. You then take it out, pat it dry, put on grill or oven. Game should never be cooked well done as it will be way too dry, it'll be like eating chunks of leather.

Cool Cool wave

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Marianne! Happy to hear your hunt was a success and your new .450 got the job done for you. Properly loaded and within it's range it's got all the thump you're likely to ever need on this continent.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bear you got should be about the perfect eating size, if it has a little fat on it. I like bear meat made into sausage, with or without added pork. PA bears are dumpster divers though, not very appetizing. Congratulations!

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i like the sausage idea mixed with pork...hope you got room in the freezer

good'onya mate!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually make about half the meat into sausage and I do add 1/3 weight of pork to help it eliminate drying out.
I also like to make bear jerky but be careful you marinade well, and keep things clean.
I always eat the heart and liver stirred up with eggs after chopping and frying well with olive oil.
Congratulations on your hunt. They say you only get to feel this giddy with your first bear but I tend to float for days on end with each one. Someday I will get to hunt one of the really big guys up North but for now the Blackie on the ground suits be perfectly.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote