THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Anyone ever try to convert a Marlin lever to a pump action?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever try to convert a Marlin lever to a pump action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
Seems it would be possible but a pain in the ass. Make a slide to go over the ammo tube and a cam. What do you think?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
reverse pump. push the open

Posts: 6433 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I think it would make the marlin lever action even quicker. Would be pretty interesting.

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BS, I remember a blurb in Sports Afield ~1980 about how the immortal JM Browning took up the challenge to convert a Winchester LA to semiauto back around 1900.

He mounted a spring loaded plate connected to the lever via various rods and axles about an inch or two beyond the muzzle. The blast pushed the plate forward and worked the lever and the spring returned it. It took him less than an afternoon IIRC.

I'm always reminded of this article whenever I see a push to outlaw semiautos. You can't outlaw clever men, at least not yet.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I'm tempted to get a cheap old marlin in 30-30 to tinker with it a bit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't Bill Ruger convert a Savage 99 to semi auto? I looked through my books and couldn't find it, but I am pretty sure I read it somewhere....and no, not on the internet because if it was on the internet it would have to be true! Big Grin

Posts: 1657 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
Didn't Bill Ruger convert a Savage 99 to semi auto? Big Grin

I think you're correct. I believe I recall too that he also converted a bolt gun to a full auto, which led to his first gig with a major arms maker in the NE U.S. (not as a designer, but as a trainee in the design department).

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
Didn't Bill Ruger convert a Savage 99 to semi auto? I looked through my books and couldn't find it, but I am pretty sure I read it somewhere....and no, not on the internet because if it was on the internet it would have to be true! Big Grin

Recoil actuated lever with spring return?