THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Found a Marlin 336 in 30-30 and the work begins
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a Marlin 336 in 30-30 and the work begins
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im going to build this Marlin 336 into a 24" barrel 25-35 Win. add a Leupold Alaskan 2.5X to it, refinish the stock and checker it, maybe custom stock it..Load 97 gr. GS Custom flat nose Hollow POints to 2650 to 2700 FPS and 117 gr. flat nose Hornadays to 2300 FPS and go to Texas and shoot whitetail,hogs, Javalina and feral pigs, and turkey, and use it for Mule Deer in a saddle scabbard..Been intending to do this for a number of years, finally getting around to it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
where at in texas?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JOhn,
Im from a ranching family in Texas so have several places to hunt..Lometa, Goldwaite, and Greenville (Klondike)..Also can hunt in the Big Bend south of Marathon where I used to ranch..My favorite place is a ranch between Lometa and Goldwaite owned by a good friend of mine. We do a cull hunt every year and I get my two whitetail bucks there..My son guides deer hunters on his bosses high fenced ranch, They are in the construction business together, and Ive been invited there but have not hunted it and don't intend to. I hunted on the Jack Atkinson ranch and Barney Edmonson ranches growing for many years, all relitives, but the elders died and the younsters sold out recently.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Eager to hear your field reports once that .25-35 begins to speak, Ray.

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
marathon i am familiar with, not the others

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ray,
As a kid my father was farming outside of Pecos. We were good friends with the Hess family from there. Are you by chance related to them. I remember you mentioning your grandfathers rifle, a 38-40, and I believe you said his last name was Hess.

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
His name was John Larkin Hess, He was a cowboy as a very young man and drove cattle to Kansas on the last big trail drive, Became a Texas Ranger at a very early age, like most Rangers they were off and on depending who was governor of Texas and the need..I don't recall any relitives in Pecos although I spent a lot of time there as a kid, football, rodeo, and chasing girls, it was a metropolis compared to Marathon..Most of the Hess family were in Uvalde, Bracketville and El Paso.but they did lease ranches and farms all over Texas.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Keep tellin' ya Ray, we need that memoir ...

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Keep tellin' ya Ray, we need that memoir ...

Cool

The term "raconteur" comes to mind

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
How is this project coming along Ray?

I have traded off some Winchester 94's and Marlin 336's in the past 10 years or so and never seem to hang onto them...now I am wishing I still had one. Not sure why...my Browning BLR in .308 could do whatever they could do plus some. Just a nostalgia thing maybe.

I'll be on the look out at the pawn shops for an older JM .30/30 or .32 to bring home. Can usually find them for less than $350 pretty common in my part of this state.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a great project, Ray, but as Bill/Oregon says, a memoir would be an even better one.

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well my gunsmith messed up his shoulder, Lord knows when I,ll get my Marlin back in 25-35..but he is a friend and charges me about half as much as any other smith would...so patience is needed on my part.

I think id rather dig post holes than write a book!! its just not my thing.. shocker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Ray what you need is a good ghost writer. I have a friend in New Mexico that has written some books for other people.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska & Florida  | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At one time I owned over a dozen BLRs only one I have kept is one in 257 Roberts. If you could find a browning BLR in 257 Roberts that would make a good deer rifle.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska & Florida  | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive got a room full of deer rifles, the Marlin was just a project Ive swooned over for years as I grew up hunting deer and elk with a Mod. 94 SRC Winchester still love the caliber, and I have this skinny Leupold 2.5X Alaskan that seems to fit the scheme..a scoped 25-35..Good idea, who knows just one of those quirky ideas. I have a 250-3000 so Im repeating myself! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Ray,

You with a scoped lever action? Now I've heard everything! Eeker Wink

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, everybody should have had at least one!! Eeker and I have a couple without in 25-35 and 30-30...and the scope is a classic, gotta get credit for that. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to mount a scope over an M94, incorporating a piece of steel to deflect the cases as they are ejected?

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt it, but they do make off set scope mounts for the 94s, and Win. has a mod 94 that has been redesigned to take a low monted scope and it kicks the empty out the side...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120