Find
Notify
Tools

Conley Precision Cartridge Co.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Do any of you have experience with Conley Precision? I am contemplating buying ammo from them for the Marlin Guide Gun I'm probably going to get soon. It's either going to be .450 Marlin or .45-70. I'm thinking the 405 gr. JSP would be a good pig round. Anybody have info on the company and the performance of their ammo. Or any suggestions for other custom ammo companies?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have not used Conley Precision Cartridge but I have been quite pleased with Superior Ammo.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can recommend Garrett for 45-70s.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer
Go with the 45/70.
Superior ammo is very good. For hunting with the 45/70 I recommend the North Fork 350 grain bullet.
It is the best expanding bullet.

For protection against big bears I would use the Garrett Hammerheads.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
yes the north fork bullet is good but from another post he said he would not be reloading.

the guy at conley precision is a cool cool guy. he has some good stories to tell and has shot bear with his 45-70.

his stuff should be top shelf.

if you need to buy factory i recomend what i already posted the pmc 350 gr +P ammo. cheap and powerful. good luck

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
yes the north fork bullet is good but from another post he said he would not be reloading.

Superior will load it. I have a price list right here.

quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
the guy at conley precision is a cool cool guy. he has some good stories to tell and has shot bear with his 45-70.

his stuff should be top shelf.

I am just curious if you have used it. I have nothing at all against them and only have personal experience with Superior.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
good point i was going to order in the past but no i have not used his yet but will. he is a great guy with a lot of experience and i trust him so i extend it to his products. i have not heard one bad thing about him or his ammo. i would buy his stuff over the limp wristed remmington ammo 100 times out of 100.

i'll order some and give the boom stick report salute

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot lever guns, but I have used Conley for a variety of ammunition from 22-250 to 416 Rem. All have been uniform in velocity as advertised. I highly recommend them. Kole will also work up sample packs or whatever is necessary to get the ammo to your liking.

Posts: 116 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen some pretty extensive 45/70 350 gr bullet tests.
I have used the 350 Hornady RN a fair amount.
The 350 North Fork is by far the best bullet.
It has the widest velocity operating range.
It is the best 350 gr 458 bullet on the Planet.
From the 45/70 to the 458 Lott, including my 450 No2 double, it is THE ONE.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Just so we're clear, I'm not going to be chasing Cape Buffalo around with this thing. It's going to be more of a "truck gun" that I'll use for scouting around at the deer lease. I'll shoot LOTS of pigs with it and maybe a few deer. We try to keep a good handle on the hog population and when we see some while riding around the ranch, we usually start throwing lead at them. For doing this, it would be much easier to just have a Marlin Guide Gun with that 18.5" barrel rather than my Browning .300 WSM with the 50mm Leupold on it. I've missed several oportunities at pigs while riding around because it was too hard to get to my .300 quickly.

So, I don't really want to spend $50+ on a box of 20 North Forks which I might go through in 2 weekend trips to the lease. Conley Precision has 405 gr. JSP's which are built for "Marlin quality rifles only". They go 1900 fps and only cost $24.99 per box of 20. Don't ya'll think that 405 gr. JSP's going 1900 fps would be great hog medicine? Please, any thoughts/suggestions would be great. Remember, I'm NOT reloading.

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland slayer
Around the deer lease the 405 Remington bullets will work fine.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you mean that they are the same bullets only, right? It is not the same cartridge as the Remington "El Crapo" cartridge. The 405 gr. Remington only goes 1,330 fps (at muzzle) vs. the 405 gr. Conley Precision which goes 1,900 fps (at muzzle). Quite a difference, roughly 43% faster. Then there is the energy difference. The Remington has 1,590 ft-lbs of energy (at muzzle) and the Conley Precision has 3,206 ft-lbs (at muzzle), roughly 102% more power! BIG difference!

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I also just found the PMC ammo boom stick was talking about. It looks pretty good to me, look here: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/74247-5085-221.html

350 gr. bullet going 2,025 fps with 3,167 ft-lbs. for $20/box.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady bullets on the PMC round lose their jackets and have performed miserably on a couple of hogs i have shot. The ballistics are great the bullets stink.

Posts: 170 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of doorgunner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cnm123:
The Hornady bullets on the PMC round lose their jackets and have performed miserably on a couple of hogs i have shot. The ballistics are great the bullets stink.

These loads worked to perfection on a 350 pound black bear that I shoulder shot at 40 yards, year before last. Complete pass through, and the bear went 15 yards. I've also whacked at least 8 hogs with this load. All shoulder shots, all dead hogs. Maybe you got a bad batch.

Posts: 43 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
How big and tough are the hogs in your neck of the woods?
A 350 grain cast bullet at 1900 fps should put the first two hogs down, that it hits.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hogs went down like bricks. The bullets lost their jackets and the lead core was very soft and was misformed. The bullets remained in both hogs. While the end result was satisfactory i was not happy with the bullets performance. (They were from the same box so a bad batch is very possible)
I now shoot Winchester 300gr Nosler Partitions and have recovered only one bullet which was a perfect mushroom and penetrated the hog from stem to stern on a frontal shot.

Posts: 170 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cnm123:
The hogs went down like bricks. The bullets lost their jackets and the lead core was very soft and was misformed. The bullets remained in both hogs. While the end result was satisfactory i was not happy with the bullets performance....

Sure sounds like your bullets were perfect to me. I wonder how we got to the place where we think "bullet failure" is when we don't get a pretty mushroom?

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
I now shoot Winchester 300gr Nosler Partitions and have recovered only one bullet which was a perfect mushroom and penetrated the hog from stem to stern on a frontal shot.

The 300gr Nosler Partition PP is probably one of the best bullets available.
But as long as hogs go down like a brick, you hardly can blame the Hornady bullet for not doing a good job.

Not sure weather a perfect mushroom shaped bullet would have performed better.

---
Tom

Posts: 15 | Location: Germany | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote