THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    New here, just want to introduce myself
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New here, just want to introduce myself
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi everyone. I just wanted to say hi to all the lever action folks around here. My grandpa gave me his Marlin 336A chambered in .35 rem. I have only gotten around to putting about 8 round through it at 100 yards, man do i need practice with these iron sights. Anyway, heres a pic of the gun, when i got it, only about 5-10 rounds have been through the barrel.
\

Posts: 29 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
welcome...

grew up there...mostly san jose but all around...where you from?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR, P.T.! Have a good time here and AVOID the Political Forum unless you are a pachyderm! Big Grin

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Welcome, I too am from the bay area, San Jose to be exact. Don't feel bad about the sights, the sight radius is hideously short. My 1895 is about to get the sights replaced with a rear peep set up at the receiver, that usually fixes the problem. Now how we get it to shoot 45 caliber bullets, thats a little tuffer....

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum, you will meet lotsof nice people here who will treat you with respect as long as don't mention 45-70 and dangerous game in the same sentence.

Posts: 116 | Location: NEW JERSEY | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum ! I have a 45/70 and it will stop a T Rex ! Even Rhino's ! Biggest game anywhere ! even Martian Gofers ! I have spoken !

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
welcome!! beer

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.T.

Welcome! Your grandfather using a lever action shows you come from good stock! Smiler His using a 35 Rem. shows he was a superb judge of a KILLING deer and black bear cartridge! As long as you stay away from these 45-70 fanatics you will have no problems! Smiler

BTW, it's too bad you live in an area far from where the Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. does its best work - in woods and making shots at less than 75 yards. It's a fine old cartridge that still is planting a lot of whitetails in the hands of serious meat hunters. Believe me!

One last question- Why is the rifle in the picture on cock? That's a no-no in my book! (Sorry to give you a lecture!) Smiler

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gerry, you are completly right, i took one pic after the other, so it was cocked. But you are correct, it should not have been (even though i checked it 3 times or so). Thank you.

Posts: 29 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yer see, P.T. They can be picky here. A cocked gun is OK in controled circumstances, for scientific purposes, and short photo sessions. etc.
Gee wizz, some people carry LOADED pistols with the hammer/striker back.

Your real "crime" is having a Marlin instead of a Win. Smiler

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
Yer see, P.T. They can be picky here. A cocked gun is OK in controled circumstances, for scientific purposes, and short photo sessions. etc.
Gee wizz, some people carry LOADED pistols with the hammer/striker back.

Your real "crime" is having a Marlin instead of a Win. Smiler

Its alright, better to be pickey then unsafe.

And the gun was FREE, and i like the marlins, so no complaints here Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, just don't take any cheek from 'em.
The safety is between ya ears they reckon, not where the hammer is.

Page 46, 1986 Guns & Ammo Annual, shows a Colt SAA at full cock, interesting to see the hammer travel. By Rick Hacker, if anyone wants to have a go at HIM.

I have at times walked thru the bush on my own, and when half expecting some action, had the M94 hammer full back with an empty chamber.
Totally safe, and easer to work the action quickly. The dog didn't mind.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
Welcome, at the shot show i spent alot of time at hornady looking at the testing data and videos of the new leverlotion bullets and my Marlins are really exicited since they are going to be more than 75-125 yd guns. I also spoke at length with jim Wilson who used a marlin .444 with the new bullets to take a really nice elk anf it just bowls the elk right over , very impressive videp clip. clap

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote