New
Find
Notify
Tools

475 Turnbull
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The 475 Turnbull received the approval of the SAAMI board and is now a recognized cartridge.

Doug

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Doug,
that is good news !! do we get a discount now on some of those beautiful levers Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you gonna license it to Marlin?

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
Are you gonna license it to Marlin?

i don't think Marlin would be interested in the amount of reworking of their current platform to house the Turnbull chambering as it is based on the 50-110wcf case. and they would be more likely to promote their 450 Marlin round.

Posts: 130 | Location: mo | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought the 475 only fit the 1886? Isn't it the 470 that will fit in the 1895?

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Doug, congrats buddy!! Thats a very fine Big Bore lever action cartridge you got there. beer
And Thanks Again for sending one for us to shoot at last years Big Bore shoot here in MT. That was VERY Nice of you!!!!!!!! Cool

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Doug,
A question--

I have been told to build a 475 Turnbull on the Miroku USRAC 1886 instead of the Miroku Browning 71--

because the "slant angle" of the 71 is "less strong" than the "straight angle" '86 on the locking lugs.

I prefer the curved lever of the 71.

What do you think?

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That all depends if you want to load it over the SAMMI spec of 42K PSI. I do not see that one is stronger than the other. The 71 slant lugs was done in my opinion because when you load the 348 "higher" than sammi the case expands in the chamber and that could can create a "tight lever" if they did not use the slant lugs than in a 86 you neeed to "tune" the action so this will not happen. That is why they made the slant lugs for the 71 along with the small firing pin so not to pierce the primer under higher pressures.
In a 86 Jap or US if the bolts are not fit properly than at 46K the case fills the chamber tightly and when the lugs are dropping it will push the bolt forward .0005 to .002" forwards and it will make the lever tight and sticky. So the 71 slant lug getts around this and less need for fitting at the time of production.
My 1887 vintage 86 has fitted bolts and will not have a tight lever even when shot with proof loads in the 50K range.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the prompt response

and your explanation for the reason for the slant lug.

Looking at the two side by I could not see why one was any stronger than the other.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug, the styling of the Turnbull rifles is magnificent....can't say the same for your choice of hats!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 20162 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That hat stands out in a crowd and you can find me faster than any other way at the shows, just look for the hat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is no lie! I found him at the SHOT Show from 100 feet away.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah and especially since he's about a foot taller than most people!

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you take off his hat he's 4'9" tall Big Grin animal
I know I know it was a cheap shot but after meeting Doug in Dallas this year I knew he would get a grin out of it. congratulations Doug

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Doug! tu2 tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 07 August 2010 01:03 Hide Post
if you take off his hat he's 4'9" tall
I

Yes I did Thanks!!

6 ft+-

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Doug... Congrats!
Please tell us about the process of the approval if you have the time.
Also I am still holding out hope you will do a 400 Turnbull off the 348 case to get 400 grain bullets to about 2,150 fps.
Maybe borrow the reamer and dies off Michael458 from his soon to be 410 B&M Smiler
PS How is the 348 Turnbull coming along?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27610 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I RECENTLY TOOK MY 86 WINCHESTER TO AFRICA IN PURSUIT OF CAPE BUFFALO. I HAD LOADED MY 400 GR TSX TO 1900FPS AND MY 400GR BARNES SOLIDS TO THE SAME. MY PH WAS NERVOUS ABOUT THE VELOCITY AND PENETRATION OF THE TSX ROUNDS. HE HAD ME LOAD ONLY SOLIDS. I NEVER GOT A SHOT AT A SHOOTABLE BULL SO I DID NOT GET TO TEST THE ROUNDS. I CAME HOME AND LOADED THE AMMO TO 2100 FPS AND DO NOT CARE FOR THE RECOIL. THERE IS SOME DISAGREEMENT RE. VELOCITY VS PENETRAATION. WOULD ANYONE CARE TO COMMENT? THE 1900 FPS LOADS ARE QUITE NICE TO SHOOT FROM THE BENCH OR THE STICKS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug, any chance of Ruger chambering the No. 1 for it?

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Doug. I know how much work you put into it. Any plans on getting the .470 through saami? reflex264

Posts: 78 | Location: TN | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug, When will you return to the Ohio Gun Collectors Show?
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
THERE IS SOME DISAGREEMENT RE. VELOCITY VS PENETRAATION. WOULD ANYONE CARE TO COMMENT? THE 1900 FPS LOADS ARE QUITE NICE TO SHOOT FROM THE BENCH OR THE STICKS.

I have seen a bison shot with the 400 grain TSX bullet at a muzzel velocity of 1900 and the animal was shot 2X at 80-90 yrds. The bullet expanded to .600 cal and penetrated to the far side with both bullets. I cant think of why the PH owuld not have let you use the TSX as the first shot on a buffalo in Africa. They jsut understand the performamce of the cartridge. The 400 TSX is jsut a perfect bullet inthat caliber. Tony Makris of Under Wild Skies swears by the 475 Turnbull and the 400 TSX for doing everything that it was reported to do and it does it really well.

As for the OGCA I most likely will be there but have a conflict with a video deer hunt here in NY. Keep you posted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
doug thanks for the response. what is your favorite load in the .475 for dangerous game, both africa and alaska? solids? tsx? velocity for both? thanks in advance tom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Barnes 400 TSX for every thing that I would not use a solid for. The laod in a Starline case is 56 gr IMR 4198 for the TSX and for a solid 54.5 gr. IMR 4198. (Useing Jamison brass, reduce the loads 1.5 gr to have the same POI) The velocity is 2100 FPS and I have found that this works great from point blank and the bullet opens to .900 cal. to .600 cal at 200 yards for the longer shots. On a buffalo size animal if shot in the shoulder the bullet will be under the hide on the far side. An elk shot from rear to front teh shot tends to be in the front portion of the shoulder. IT JUST WORKS!!! I shot a asiatic buffalo in florida with solide that was running straight away and at about 60-90 yrds, I found two under the hide at the front of the shoulder so end to end penatration. The bullet and caliber design I think and others that have used it seems to be about as perfect as it could be. I have not lost a petal and they always seem to open up at least a bit, over the bore caliber.
These loads have taken many buffalo, bison, elk, white rino-not me, 2 elephants and on one the bullet-solid went the complete length of the animal/cow tuskless.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Doug: Missed this post, but just read about the SAAMI approval in one of Scoville's columns. Congrats indeed.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16646 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 470 Turnbull is in my very near future. Congrats on the .475 Doug!

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Doug, I hope Taj sent some of his photos from this spring. He carried it all year from Bear season through the summer while guiding bear viewing clients. It is starting to show some nice wear and getting slicker and slicker to use

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote