Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Stainless vs moly in Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
MADDOG,
There are no "dumb questions" from paying clients before the hunt commences. Sounds like you may be in the wrong line of work. You're in the "Service Industry", I think.

Your thoughts on that?

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've been hunting with a blued steel wood stocked rifle for the last few years, with lots of rain and no moose

Anyhow, to protect the blued steel, several coats of paste wax will do the trick, water just beads up and rolls off. For wood stocks, if the stock wasn't sealed with epoxy there really is nothing you can do. An epoxy sealed stock coated with oil has all the beauty of an oil finished stock, and is impervious to moisture.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Being a guide in Alaska I am always asked if a client brings his moly / wood stocked gun will the weather hurt it.
Always kind of a dumb Question in my book. The answer is YES it will damage the gun if not taken care of often.
I personally use a Winchester M-70 clasic stainless in .375 H&H for my guide gun. Not real pretty but very pratical for the job, even it needs attention from time to time. < !--color--> I have seen A film of rust in blued guns in the first 12 hours on the coast that I hunt brownies on.

What can these men do for protection on their prise DGR in Wood and Blue???

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote