The Accurate Reloading Forums
Re: Stainless vs moly in Alaska

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8521043/m/99010268

24 March 2004, 13:56
Dungbeetle
Re: Stainless vs moly in Alaska
MADDOG,
There are no "dumb questions" from paying clients before the hunt commences. Sounds like you may be in the wrong line of work. You're in the "Service Industry", I think.

Your thoughts on that?
24 March 2004, 05:43
Paul H
I've been hunting with a blued steel wood stocked rifle for the last few years, with lots of rain and no moose

Anyhow, to protect the blued steel, several coats of paste wax will do the trick, water just beads up and rolls off. For wood stocks, if the stock wasn't sealed with epoxy there really is nothing you can do. An epoxy sealed stock coated with oil has all the beauty of an oil finished stock, and is impervious to moisture.
24 March 2004, 05:37
MADDOG
Being a guide in Alaska I am always asked if a client brings his moly / wood stocked gun will the weather hurt it.
Always kind of a dumb Question in my book. The answer is YES it will damage the gun if not taken care of often.
I personally use a Winchester M-70 clasic stainless in .375 H&H for my guide gun. Not real pretty but very pratical for the job, even it needs attention from time to time. < !--color--> I have seen A film of rust in blued guns in the first 12 hours on the coast that I hunt brownies on.

What can these men do for protection on their prise DGR in Wood and Blue???