THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Anything to do in Fairbanks on a one night layover?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anything to do in Fairbanks on a one night layover?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted
I'll be in Fairbanks the evening of September 22, was wondering what there is to do (if anything)? I stayed there in 2011 but got in very late and left pretty early so I didn't spend any time there.

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like everyone else in town....DRINK!!! :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Drink than have a local take you out to go moose tipping. Like cows, only better.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tip the bulls, cows can get ornery..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is a couple pretty good eatin places. and if you can visualize the plae 30 years ago = well CRYBABY

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
drink is the only thing...even the good gun stores are gone;.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much time do you have? You could go fishing, the Silvers will be in that time of the year. Even though they've travelled a long ways to get there, they are a lot of fun on a fly rod.
You'd have to go out of town a little ways to find a stream that has a run.

Posts: 443 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Hit the "Turtle Club" ....probably the best Prime rib in town. Or you can go to the Chena Pump House for dinner, good food and great Alaska atmosphere, and a really nice bar room.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsheephunter:
Hit the "Turtle Club" ....probably the best Prime rib in town. Or you can go to the Chena Pump House for dinner, good food and great Alaska atmosphere, and a really nice bar room.

Appreciate it, I think I'll do that!

Alaska Hunter - I've only got about 18 hours in town, most of which is overnight. I'd love to go fishing, just won't have enough daylight to do it.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
THe turtle club is a real good place to eat.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Ruthie's rentals ? Big Grin

Just kidding --- but depending on how much time you have the museum at UAF is always a nice stop and if you have more time a drive out to Chena Hot Springs is another nice place for a layover

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Phil said - The UAF museum, that is. Also, the Turtle Club. Personally, we avoid the Pump House.

C'mon, Phil, I didn't know Ruthie's was still around. Know sumpin I don't? dancing dancing
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If in town Pump house nice atmosphere food is OK I love their oyster shooters and seafood chowder, the Turtle Club has a nice atmosphere and food is OK (specialty is prime rib). Local watering hole I like for a 'chilly one' which is family owned and operated is Oasis bar & grill on University Dr, good folk there. Chena hot springs is a nice 60 mile drive and great scenery on the way food is pricey for what you get but you expect that at resort. I just did some predator hunting out that way yesterday what a beautiful day I was about 20 miles from resort, NO PEOPLE seen all day .

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could always grab a cab and take a drive out to Skinny Dicks Halfway Inn. And get the t-shirt to prove it...

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gregg - Just saw this post. Well, did you find anything interesting? Roll Eyes How about a report?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Hey Greg, call Ikniqpalagaq @ (907) 206-5897, she will hook you up, you can thank me later.... sofa

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Gregg - Just saw this post. Well, did you find anything interesting? Roll Eyes How about a report?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Not yet Larry, don't go up there until September Cool

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Hey Greg, call Ikniqpalagaq @ (907) 206-5897, she will hook you up, you can thank me later.... sofa

Brad, something tells me I shouldn't call this, uh, woman? Eeker

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Note that 505 posted this under some THING to do..............

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg go to Skinny Dicks Half Way In bar. It's a fun place to drink and pick up a few souveniers. I stopped there on my drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage and its on the main road out of town.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

Note that 505 posted this under some THING to do..............

Haha! Yikes, and noted.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
Greg go to Skinny Dicks Half Way In bar. It's a fun place to drink and pick up a few souveniers. I stopped there on my drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage and its on the main road out of town.

Will do Tom!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gregg - My bad, it's been a long Winter here in New Mexico and it has affected my reading comprehension. I'll just check in later for the report. Wink

Have a great trip and hunt. Later.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Not yet Larry, don't go up there until September Cool

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
I stopped in at Skinny dicks last year in early summer and that place wasn't even open yet, and place was boarded up. There was a guy living in an RV their and he said the boiler was out and potable water was low. I would see if you can call them before headed out that way, it is a ways out from Fairbanks. I would stick with Turtle Club.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the place not to miss if you are hungry
Outdoor eating and all you can eat Salmon, cod, prime rib
The Salmon Bake
http://www.akvisit.com/index.html
Great place closes mid Sept.
Hit the link check it out.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, lots of good suggestions here.

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reflections on Cushman Street
The food is lousy but the scenery and "customer attention"
Is the best in town

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Here is the one place you DON'T want to visit:

Fairbanks Correctional Center

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
If you are there anytime the next day, the Alaska Raw Fur Co. has the best prices on furs and fur crafts I've found anywhere except a for little convienence store in Chickaloon.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote