THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    S.E. Self Guided Bear Hunters Squeezed Out

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S.E. Self Guided Bear Hunters Squeezed Out
 Login/Join

posted
The hot button is that the State of Alaska has created two classes of citizens, one with restrictions on access to hunt on public land, and one with no restrictions. Self-guided non-resident hunters in the most famous units must enter a lottery to win a black bear tag in S.E. Alaska, while non-resident hunters using a registered guide can simply gain access to black bears on public land in the same areas by purchasing a tag over the counter at any time, and paying the guide's fee. It clearly is not legal or in the spirit of American society to restrict some citizens from legal uses of public lands, while allowing other citizens special entry to the same uses on the same lands. Alaska Fish and Game needs to hear from non-residents about this unjust policy. Contact AF&Game at www.hunt.alaska.gov

Where the giant black bears are.

Posts: 9 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alaska has had a lot of trouble with nonresident hunters needing to be rescued, not abiding by regulations and other problems. The situation you mentioned, while inherently unfair to certain non-residents, is considerably more liberal than the system in most western US states and Canada that mandate licensed guides for non-residents.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The situation you mentioned, while inherently unfair to certain non-residents, is considerably more liberal than the system in most western US states and Canada that mandate licensed guides for non-residents.

Can you name one other western state besides Wyoming and that is only in wilderness areas.

Canada yes Lower 48?

Just another outfitter/guide protection of income plan.

Posts: 19599 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Cry me a river. You can still hunt deer, elk, moose, caribou, wolf, etc. unguided.

It's because Lesser-48'ers were shooting too many dinks and females.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
You can still hunt black bears over the other 5/7ths of Alaska without applying for a tag.

In Wyoming there are several resident areas where a resident can buy a tag, and a non-resident must apply.

This is no different.

You think this is a tough law to live with. People in Alaska that live locally near some national Parks have the ability to hunt in them. If you live in Fairbanks, Anchorage, or Valdez in the mainland of Alaska you can not hunt in those same parks.

This is a federal subsistance law, and has nothing to do with the state laws.

That and the subsistance bag limits and seasons, are very liberal compared to the urban population residents.

If you want a guaranteed tag move to Alaska.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like I'm gonna be concerned about a non-resident when I have to haul ass 5 miles off the Dalton for a caribou for the freezer & a local "resident" can essentially shoot off the road? I don't think so. It's called "subsistance" but in reality nothing more than "everybody's equal, it's just that some are more equal than others". You can't tell me that that local resident's rifle bullet can't damage the pipeline less than mine.
Before you complain about non-resident's "rights", get the regs changed so they follow the Alaska Constitution for the resident.
This is the first time I've heard of this "hot button" but it's a non-issue for me. I got other, more important things to worry about.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with a state requiring guides; it is simply a way to reduce the pressure on the game. But you could argue that a lottery would do the same thing. So why is the state of AK subsidizing guides?

BTW, Idaho has a very similar system in the Selway - hire a guide and you get a tag. I like it.

I do have a problem with those who say NR's have to be rescued and therefore need a guide. You can hike anywhere you want to in AK without a guide...so why do you need one when hunting? How many guys get rescued off Denali every year who have no guide?

And what about guys like me who used to be residents of AK? Hell, I once spent a night at -55 without any heat. How many AK residents have done that??

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hell, I once spent a night at -55 without any heat. How many AK residents have done that??

Probably most of them, but it was -80. Without windchill!

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
99% of everyone that uses that hiker arguement, wouldn't hike 3 miles in Alaska let alone across the whole state.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:
quote:
Hell, I once spent a night at -55 without any heat. How many AK residents have done that??

Probably most of them, but it was -80. Without windchill!

Most residents of Alaska have not slept in a tent unheated in the middle of the winter. If you believe that, I don't think you have spent much time there, at least not in Anchorage, where most people live.

The fact is the argument that one needs a guide to be safe in AK is just plain dumb, as I can do all kinds of activities without one, just as long as I am not hunting.

Mountain climbing is far more dangerous than hunting, yet I don't need a guide to do that.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I haven't spent any time in Anchorage other than shopping, I lived in Barrow and Sitka. Most Sikta residents have probably never seen -55 either.

Just teasing you a bit.

I know that most Las Anchorage residents have never slept outside in the summer let a lone at -55.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gulp!

I swallowed the bait.