New
Find
Notify
Tools

338-06 any good??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
great selection of bullet weights and constructions,, will be hunting Dall and Grizzly Sept 06.. what say ye?? Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the 338-06 is a great all arounder cart...

read this https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../485101382#485101382

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomstick: great read!! I bought a well used but beautifuly done Springfield sporter (Remington 03) at the Black Sheep CDL Idaho.. and put an ER Shaw 338-06 barrel on, and a synthetic from Bell&Carlson.. puts 200gr nosler balistic tips and 225gr Hornady interlocks close to the same point of aim at any given range. has worked well for a deer/elk rifle here in Wyoming.. I will try some heavier premium bullets and see what I can come up with.. lighter for Dall, the other for Grizzly.. I own a Ruger M77 338wm, and a CZ550 safari in 375, but both are heavier, and I'm sure I'll shoot the little Springfield better.. the hunt I booked will be fly in and a lot of hikeing.. Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps our paths will cross hope our rifles don't get crossed. Mine will be a pre-64 on my moose/mt caribou hunt in NWT. Best of luck in '06.

How about those TCU Horned Frogs '66.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 338-06 is almost exactly the same as the 318WR (330" v. 338", same capacity, and I make my cases from 35 Whelens by just trimming), probably THE all around medium bore prior to the 375H&H, and that's sayin something! Along with the 338, 35W and 375, I think it is in the range of the 'perfect' AK caliber.

Have a great hunt and keep us posted.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 375 was first it has been around befor the 318 or 338 cals.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes, yes. need more be said.

I am in the tentative planning stages of trying to do the Dall/Grizzly combination also.

Who are you going with? If I may ask.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDhunter: I and my son have booked with Max Schwab out of Talkeetna.. we have the first ten days of Sept set aside, waiting for the firm dates from Max.. have talked to some of his references,, all enthusiastic about the experiances.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be too picky, but the 318 came out in 1910 or 1909 (per Taylor) v the 375 H-H in 1912.

"It took the big game hunting world by storm. However, with the introduction of Holland's .375 Magmun, men were compelled to realize that the 318, wonderful little weapon and all as it undoubtedly was, was nevertheless not the last word in rifles."

Two of my (many) favorite calibers. It's all good! Wink

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious Les, how much did the 338.06 barrel for the springfield cost you? I have a similar project in mind.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plainview: I ordered the 338-06 barrel from E.R. Shaw.. bought the chromemoly, threaded for the springfield and full length chambered for $147 shipped. I have a small smithy lathe, and a little experiance, so set back the shoulder a few thousandths to headspace. (use 30-06 go and no-go gauges) had to recut the cone for bolt clearence. pretty straightforward.. I believe they will barrel your receiver for a nominal fee.. found their add in Gun List. HTH. Les

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.S. No matter what anyone says, it is great to have so much brass available!! one easy pass thru the dies, and presto! its a 338-06 cartidge!.. the brass shortens slightly when you reform to 338, so you NEVER have to trim! I realy love this conversion.. five down, one up the spout, feeds like greased lightning... Les

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
338-06 A-Square
Barrel: Kreiger
Action: Pre 64 M70
Stock: English walnut by our very own Pdhunter

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clem that is a great looking rifle thanks for posting that pic

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very purty!!! mine is wearing a Bell&Carlson Carbelite with steel reinforced recoil lug area.. has held up so far.. Les

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Clem

Do you actually hunt with the 338-06......that is one nice rifle.

My favorite load

IMR 4320 @ 56.0
Nosler 210 Part
Fed 210M primer
WW Cases

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote