THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Best of the West-Ethics of Bear Hunting
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best of the West-Ethics of Bear Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but of the 14 animals in camp they took the 3 worst animals

The worth of the game animal is in the eye of the shooter.

It isn't always about my horns are bigger than your horns

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I amount of town at the moment. Can this show still be viewed? After reading this, I want to see it.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without even getting into the debate entirely, I have a question. Why is it that on EVERY long range show, they have to be 500+ yards away, before taking the shot?

You cannot tell me that they never have opportunities at shots in the 100-300 yard range. So, when these opportunities arise, do the back up a few hundred yards??

Posts: 2646 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I amount of town at the moment. Can this show still be viewed? After reading this, I want to see it.

Not sure Larry, the shows on The Outdoor Channel/Sportsmen Channel roll over on Sunday as I recall. So this week may be a new episode (how exciting). I watched the trailer on The Best of the West website and it did not show the shot. All you really need to see is the last ten minutes of the show. I have it recorded on my DIRECTV DVR but I have no idea how to do anything with it.

Mike

Posts: 21374 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just wasted 30 minutes of my life watching Best of the West/Gunwerks videos online. To sum up most of the kill shots...well, I guess a hit anywhere in the body is success in the long range world.

Buy a rifle, take the class and you to can be the next Carlos Hathcock.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And at the thousand yard F class match in Worland Wyoming there is a distinct lack of these experts competing........

Posts: 123 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Without even getting into the debate entirely, I have a question. Why is it that on EVERY long range show, they have to be 500+ yards away, before taking the shot?

You cannot tell me that they never have opportunities at shots in the 100-300 yard range. So, when these opportunities arise, do the back up a few hundred yards??

I've wondered about that also. Some of these long distance guys aren't set up for a normal range shots . They seem to only shoot frangible bullets like Berger Hunting VLD or Hornady ELD X. The long range guys never talk about the failures to penetrate. I think the Nosler ABLR is the closest thing to a combination bullet. Expands at long range and somewhat holds tgether at normal to close range.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 450ak:
And at the thousand yard F class match in Worland Wyoming there is a distinct lack of these experts competing........

Just because someone does not play a certain game does not mean they can not shoot. I hear the same between hi power, bench, and any other game that is played with firearms. They all think they are better shooters then the other ones.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Just because someone does not play a certain game does not mean they can not shoot. I hear the same between hi power, bench, and any other game that is played with firearms. They all think they are better shooters then the other ones.

I took that comment to mean that 1000 yard F class winners can't do what some of these long range hunting guys claim, eg, a 1000 yard shot is a "gimme."

Frankly, I have been 100 percent on 800 yard shots the past two months with my Lapua (one shot per week, no sighters, but with pretty gentle wind conditions), but I still would not risk a tag on a long range shot, and that is what you are doing in AK if you wound an animal, to say nothing of the price the animal pays, of course.

Yesterday I shot at 800 then followed up at 1290 yards. The TOF of a bullet at that range has to be seen to be believed - you can literally shoot, recover from the recoil, get back on the target, and see your bullet splash - with a 338 LM.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:

Buy a rifle, take the class and you to can be the next Carlos Hathcock.

Come on now, poor taste to even think the name Sgt. Carlos Hathcock while discussing these monkey's
Have a GREAT NEW YEAR ALL!!

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Why did you watch it? You should have TURNED IT OFF!!!

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, these f class shooters WONT shoot at animals at a thousand yards. It's remarkable to watch two guys that have spent their lives shooting for a living completely miss a wind or mirage change and miss the target at a thousand yards. So how many barrels burned out does it take to become an accomplished rifleman at long range? My point is, that these people in Cody Wyoming wont drive a hundred miles to showcase their rifles and talent in public at known distance.

Posts: 123 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Trigger Finger....

Please don't compare the ELDx with Berger VLDs. Totally different bullet. I have used each and their terminal results are quite different.

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SkiBumplus3:
Cold Trigger Finger....

Please don't compare the ELDx with Berger VLDs. Totally different bullet. I have used each and their terminal results are quite different.

Ski+3

No they aren't. Not from shooting heavy and/or dangèous game stand point. They both are thin jacketed , not bonded core , cup and core bullets. Designed for rapid expansion.
The minor differences they display in soft tissue , if any is not like the difference between either of them and a tough bullet like a TSX, TTSX BT ect.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, these f class shooters WONT shoot at animals at a thousand yards. It's remarkable to watch two guys that have spent their lives shooting for a living completely miss a wind or mirage change and miss the target at a thousand yards. So how many barrels burned out does it take to become an accomplished rifleman at long range? My point is, that these people in Cody Wyoming wont drive a hundred miles to showcase their rifles and talent in public at known distance.

I don't understand this post. How far would the Cody boys go to shoot ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
quote:

I don't understand this post. How far would the Cody boys go to shoot ?

I think what 450AK is saying is that if they can kill game at 1000 yards under field conditions then shooting F class with F class bipods, sighters, wind flags, etc. would be a cinch - and really good PR for their gear, techniques, etc.

Personally, I don't like F class for a number of reasons, the primary being hunting is all about being successful on the first shot - reading the conditions, etc. - not shooting 20 to 60 shots.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, thank you.

One of Us
Picture of 35whelenman
posted Hide Post
Absolutely no reason to take a head shot, ever, for sport hunting. I would seriously question it even for subsistence hunters as most of those types are excellent woodsmen and have plenty of opportunity to get closer and put one behind the leg. I've yet to see anyone eat lung or miss the few ounces of rib meat damaged by these shots.

Two, bear heads are thick and very sloped. Plenty of chances to have a bullet hit at an oblique angle and cause a horrific, but non-fatal wound.

Look at it this way, hunting is not certain. Long range shots are not certain. Even if you're 9 out of 10 on your 500 yard shots, what's the result of the inevitable 10th shot? Will it be 1 less point on a target, or crippling wound on a lost animal?

Finally, I look at shooting small animals at long range a little differently. The amount of energy a fast moving .22 brings to a prairie dog is orders of magnitude greater than a .30 caliber bullet brings to a large animal. Miss the head on a prairie dog and rip off the entire side of the body; still a rapid death. Miss the head on a bear, horrible wound that may or may not kill the animal in a reasonable time.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wounding a bear at that distance or any at any distance can spell bad news for some poor trapper or indian who gets himself in the wrong place at the wrong time, It happens anywhere DG exists..

Almost all those Alaskan shows today are a disgrace to real Alaskans, and the hunts are contrived, someone kills an animal and they film the dead animal hunt after the kill, common practice...

Only last night on Alaska the last frontier, it showed a woman shoot a deer, she held the rifle offhand, in such a way that you couldn't possibly see thru the scope, add to the fact she was looking over the scope and yanked the trigger!! Then the guy that gutted the deer stuck a long butcher knife in the deers chest and sawed thur the guts and everything..He had no clue how to gut a deer, then at the beginning of the show another wife is aiming a rifle right handed and left eyed, that will really create some recoil..also none of them can shoot worth a damn.....It just gets to be ridiculas..Then we have the Browns, jeeeze! what an abortion..Seems all these folks are old hippies from the 50s that left the communes..Im sure some of them are legit and it takes only a little while to sort them out..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

You are bursting my bubble! Next thing you will tell me is that every minute is not life-or-death for the Kilchers!

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yet, they are scheduled to be teaching shooting ethics at the FNAWS Sheep show.

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kaboku68:
Yet, they are scheduled to be teaching shooting ethics at the FNAWS Sheep show.

Perhaps someone should ask them about the lost Bear during questions and answers?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont see anything wrong with head shots. As long as the shooter can put the bullet where its supposed to go. Since I dont believe in shooting bears at much beyond bow and arrow range. . No reason to ruin any cuts of meat on a ruminate if a person can shoot.
Thats really the whole issue . Being able to shoot well without taking much time to do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of head shots. Last year while deer hunting with my daughter. I had to put down a doe that came by the stand as she had her lower jaw shot off. The doe was in bad shape and had part of her tongue just hanging there. It was my daughters first time seeing something like that and she was very disgusted. She wanted to stop hunting but I talked her into staying.
A person can do as he/she likes but the risks are too great on a small moving target just to save a little meat. I will always go for the heart/lung shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
I don't like what hunting has become....I'm starting to become ashamed of us as a group. Is killing so important that we throw honor out the window?

Head shoot a bear at 500 yards? Really??? 2020

It has become a gimmick.

A dog and pony show to sell a new product - be it long range shooting gear or a new gizmo.

+1 My opinion exactly. IMHO long range shooting of big game animals should be a violation of the law. In most instances it results in wanton waste as the animal escapes to die a week later, while the shooter claims that his gut shot was a clean miss. These hunting shows edit out the unsuccessful long range shots that allow a wounded animal to escape and die a lingering death at a later time. An ethical hunter should do everything possible to achieve a clean kill with as little suffering as possible by the animal.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
quote:
quote:
I don't like what hunting has become....I'm starting to become ashamed of us as a group. Is killing so important that we throw honor out the window?

It has become a gimmick.

A dog and pony show to sell a new product - be it long range shooting gear or a new gizmo.

+1 My opinion exactly. IMHO long range shooting of big game animals should be a violation of the law. In most instances it results in wanton waste as the animal escapes to die a week later, while the shooter claims that his gut shot was a clean miss. These hunting shows edit out the unsuccessful long range shots that allow a wounded animal to escape and die a lingering death at a later time. An ethical hunter should do everything possible to achieve a clean kill with as little suffering as possible by the animal.

A few years ago the AK F&W protection ( our version of game wardens ) were notified that some residents were bear hunting on the beach during spring bear season and called the air taxi that had dropped them off. They were requesting more ammunition as they had been shooting at bears up on the mountain side and were almost out of ammo !!!
I think the F&W troopers tuned them up on long range shooting at bears.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the F&W troopers tuned them up on long range shooting at bears.

And what was the exact violation I don't think there is a law limiting the range you can shoot a critter at.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I didn't say there was a violation but state regulations does say that any wounded animal does count against you bag limit.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It has become a gimmick.

Personally, I think if any law was passed, it would be a shooting competency law with the rifle anyone was going to hunt with. That would weed out alot of the culls right there. Course if I had my way , no one would be allowed a bear tag unless they qualified with at least a 35 Whelan or 338 Winchester. But, that ain't gonna happen.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It has become a gimmick.

Personally, I think if any law was passed, it would be a shooting competency law with the rifle anyone was going to hunt with. That would weed out alot of the culls right there. Course if I had my way , no one would be allowed a bear tag unless they qualified with at least a 35 Whelan or 338 Winchester. But, that ain't gonna happen.

So the old guides and hunters who survived using rifles in the power relm of the 30-40 Krag & 30-06 were wrong ? And those who use them now with Nolser Partitions, Barnes TSX and Swift A-Frames are not adequately armed ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of 700xcr
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Cold Finger Trigger

Personally, I think if any law was passed, it would be a shooting competency law with the rifle anyone was going to hunt with. That would weed out alot of the culls right there. [/QUOTE]Kinda like Norway moose hunting? You have to pass a shooting course on moving moose targets at a certian distance before you are allowed to hunt.

Posts: 191 | Location: Kennewick,Wa. | Registered: 20 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil; I said if I had my way , I also said, that ain't gonna happen horse

Yup. Like some other countries have . I'm sure those associated with the commercial services board will have some push back. But, it would sure cut down on the wounded game. Since the guide has responsibility , as much as is doable, to insure any game shot is recovered. So perhaps they may be given a pass. But , All residents And out of state guides that come up to work guiding clients.
Personally I think that if clients had to qualify, it would make the guides job alot easier by at least being able to hit a reasonable size target at a reasonable range from several different positions . Not from the bench !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally I think that if clients had to qualify, it would make the guides job alot easier by at least being able to hit a reasonable size target at a reasonable range from several different positions . Not from the bench !!

Or just by the reduction of clients they could be out of work.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
It would be difficult, to say nothing of hypcritical, to require non-residents to use a larger caliber than those required for remote resident, natives and trappers, who seem to be getting by just fine with their 223's and 22-250's

And due to a number of factors, usually rifle familiarity, I have seen more one shot kills by hunters using 30 calibers or less than by those using larger calibers.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm more concerned with liscensed hunters actually being able to hit a good vital spot with what rifle/handgun/archery they will be hunting with than a caliber/cartridge restriction. Young people have to go thru hunter edjucation .
With some tags , the hunters have to go thru orientation, a rifle, handgun, or archery qualification should go right along with it.
It would spur people on to shoot more pre hunting season and would weed out alot of the heavy drinkers and dopers . And by shooting more with what they would qualify with liscensed hunters would be familiar with what they were shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I believe in less government regulation then more.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Personally I believe in less government regulation then more.

That works so long as people act responsibly like grown ups . . . taking head shots at grizzly bear at 500+ yards is not acting responsibly like grown ups.

Mike

Posts: 21374 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Either use the terrain and brush to close the distance or wait until such time as you can use the terrain and brush to your advantage, or pass on the shot.

Considering the physique of The Best of the West team, I am starting to wonder if the long range shots are simply an excuse not walk and close the distance! Another observation, on the black bear hunt the shooter talks about the importance of "good ethical shots" . . . how ironic . . . right after he shoots a black bear about the size of a large dog.

The only Best of the West show that I've watched was a black bear hunt. They shot a bear at over 700 yards, but the bear was very small. I was amazed that aired the hunt.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I did not watch this show but last weekend I watched Steve's outdoors and they shot a bear on the Penisula at over 500 yards and hit him just before he reached the top of the ridge. Luckily the bear turned and ran back at them, a second shot put him down at 475 yards. What if the Bear had ran the other way over the hill?

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
I did not watch this show but last weekend I watched Steve's outdoors and they shot a bear on the Penisula at over 500 yards and hit him just before he reached the top of the ridge. Luckily the bear turned and ran back at them, a second shot put him down at 475 yards. What if the Bear had ran the other way over the hill?

There are a what of what if's in hunting I have seen a lot of game disappear in thick cover at the first shot not allowing time for a follow up.